The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Does Clay Walker have a steelie?
David Hartley

Post  Posted 30 Jan 2008 10:05 pm    

He's at Billy Bobs on the 15th March.. Don't know nothing about him or his music or band.. DH..

Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2008 10:57 pm    

Clay Walker started out as pretty much a George Strait clone, and has had a lot of success over the years. He can fill big venues in Texas still but is not quite as hot on country radio as he once was.

I'm pretty sure that Tommy Hannum is touring with him now; he's an amazing player though I'm not sure he'll get much chance to prove it on this gig... But worth checking out if you're in town and Billy Bobs is pretty impressive in it's way as a giant version of slick Texas country dance clubs. If you go make sure to see who is else is playing in that "Stockyards" area. There are several clubs that regularly feature great traditional Texas country and there are typically some great steel players on any given weekend. I'm sure some forumites from Dallas and Fort Worth can tell you more...

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2008 11:23 pm    

Tommy Hannum was with Ricky Van Shelton for many years, and when Clay first started his music career, Teddy Carr was his road steeler.

Brett-Proud owner/player of Redgold Beauty"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Brandon Ordoyne

Needville,Texas USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2008 5:29 am    

Clay Walker started out in my home area of Beaumont, TX..He had some good music out in his earlier days. He followed Mark Chestnutt and Tracy Byrd...from what I remember steel wasnt real prominent in his music... Confused

Brandon

Rex Wiseman

Cottontown, TN
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2008 12:18 pm    

Yes, Tommy is still with Clay. He started 2 years ago when I left to work for the Oak Ridge Boys. Great player and a great guy. Even my pal Pete Finney worked with Clay the week that my wife and I got married. (I was suprised they let me come back after they heard Pete) Thanks AGAIN Pete. LOL

Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2008 12:56 pm    

Hey Rex,

Thank YOU! For a weekend "sub" gig one could do worse than to headline a show at Texas Stadium! It was fun...

Quote:
I was suprised they let me come back after they heard Pete

I assume you mean that they were mad that you sent such a sorry player to fill in for you! Smile

Rex Wiseman

Cottontown, TN
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2008 5:03 pm    

No, not at all Pete. I WISH I could play as "Sorry" as you ! Smile Lets do lunch before we both get busy this year - my treat, for putting you in the middle of all that mess !! LOL

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2008 6:25 pm    

Hey Rex:

Just figured I'd say hello. Hope you're well man.

Sincerely,
Chris "Tiny" Olson

clive swindell

Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, UK
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2008 2:53 am    

Hi David

I have a 1998 'greatest hits' CD that I bought for the track 'Dreaming with my eyes wide open' which was the subject of a Rick Kornacker 'Session Pick' some time back.

The CD lists Paul Franklin, Sonny Garrish, Tim Sergeant, Bruce Bouton and Dan Dugmore as steel players.

Do you want to borrow it before the March gig?
I shall be there as well. Also, on the Friday is Cory Morrow - I have some of his stuff as well and
I am looking foward to seeing him.

The Clay Walker tickets are expensive so he must be a draw. The shows always start at 10-30pm and over the years I have seen lots of big acts at Billy Bobs. Last year it was Dwight Yoakam - sadly without a steel player.

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2008 3:09 am     Steelie

If you would like a preview of Tommy Hannum's superb playing, his "Not Rocket Science" C.D. is excellent.

Rex Wiseman

Cottontown, TN
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2008 10:15 am    

Hey Tiny, I'm doing well. Thanks for asking. I'm just riding on a bus right now (we seem to do that a lot) LOL But I'll be home in time to spend some time with my Wife and daughter (Before the Super Bowl) Smile When we get in upstate NY I'll get in touch. I'd love to see ya again.

L. Blake Bowthorpe

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2008 12:24 pm    

The Clay Walker show came to Wendover Nevada which is aboot 100 miles west of Salt Lake this past friday,We made the trip , spent 50.00 per ticket, and Clay did put on a good show, but i was very disapointed as he didnt ever feature the Steel Guitar at all, just a little backup work. I did have the pleasure of meeting Tommy Hannum after the show, a very nice guy told him how much we wanted to hear him play the heart & soul of country music, he acknowledged he didnt get the chance with Clay Walker & suggested we go to Clays web-site & request featuring the steel guitar, which i will do after this post. While i'm disapointed at least Clay still has a Steelie in the band, most of the new acts dont even record or tour with a steel guitar player.