The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Nyc Firefighter Ray Downey Dies.....
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2001 10:27 am    

.....In the collapsing World Trade Center, Ray Downey was no less nor no more important than any of the other brave firefighters and police officers and other rescue workers who died, but he was a symbol of the New York Urban Search & Rescue Team who was one of the first deployed to Oklahoma City to stand with us after our bombing six years ago.

Ray worked shoulder to shoulder with our firefighters in the rubble of "ground zero" under the tottering Murrah building and was the one who, in defiance, named the hugh concrete slab that hung ominously overhead, "That Mother". There weren't many survivors to rescue after the intial blast, but he was there in harms way trying.

When he died, Ray was probably still wearing the rosary presented to him and the other members of his team by the Governor of Oklahoma after their tour of duty in Oklahoma City.

Ray had been a firefighter for many years and was the most decorated member of the New York City Fire Department. He was also the nations top expert in "collapse rescue". He, above all others, knew the danger when he entered the "tower" to ultimately die "in the line of duty".

Oklahoma has lost a friend, and may God's grace be upon him, his family, the people of New York, and all of the others who died while proudly wearing the badge and principles of the police and fire services.

Gene Jones (Retired/Oklahoma City Fire Department)

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 15 September 2001 at 03:32 AM.]

Larry Miller

Dothan AL,USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2001 2:59 pm    

They are the real heroes of the USA, not Baseball players,Football players, musicians, movie stars,rap stars etc.

Bill Fall

Richmond, NH, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2001 3:18 pm    

Thanks for that posting, Gene. I was touched by the article, and especially so, as a Catholic, to learn that the Governor of Oklahoma had presented Rosaries to Firefighter Downey and all his team after their heroic services in Okla. City.

I agree wholeheartedly with Larry Miller: These firefighters and the police are the real heroes for Americans to emulate.

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2001 5:34 pm    

As a former Altar Boy at the Jesuit Seminary above Wernersville, PA; Thank You for those words ! Paul

Bill Fall

Richmond, NH, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2001 8:17 am    

Paul, was that the old Latin Mass? If so, do you still remember your responses?

Introibo ad altare Dei...

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2001 3:09 am    

I appreciate the ones who responded above to acknowledge the loss of one of the many heros of the WTC/DC tragedy.

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2001 6:57 am    

Bill; That was a long time ago, right after WWII. The Jesuit Seminarians would come to our house/farm on Sundays and they would teach us about the world and God and Latin.

At one time I could recite Pater Noster, que es in Cellis but the rest is lost in time as was The Creed.

One thing I do remember is: Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa.

Sometimes the wind would blow through the towers of the Seminary and I would think: That sounds like the angels are singing. It was an ediface that reminded people of the Old Country and the area lost much when it closed. A brother tells me now that there has been a book writen about it. I shall have to get a copy of that because I left a small boy back there.......

Regards, Paul

Bill Fall

Richmond, NH, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2001 5:31 am    

Paul, nice memories -- not unlike those of my own childhood. If you want, I could type out the Latin Pater Noster & Credo In Deum to send you.

As for your "mea culpa," absolvo te!