The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  "Chicago's City Streets"
Buddy Carter

Spring Grove (Chicago), IL
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2007 7:45 pm    

I heard a song with the "hook line" of "life has passed me by on Chicago's city streets". It is a story told from a wino's viewpoint. Anyone know who may have sung this? FWIW, I heard it on Jim Loeseberg's show on KSEY, but there was no announcement of the title.

George Rozak

Braidwood, Illinois USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2007 9:41 pm    

Hey Buddy... I wrote that song many moons ago, except it's Chicago's Lonely Streets - not city streets. It's been recorded by two people that I know of - the late Eddie Clatterbuck & Darnell Miller of Wheeling West Virginia Jamboree fame. Both recordings were released in the 1970s. I had no idea anybody was still playing it. Do you remember who the singer was on the version that you heard?

George

Buddy Carter

Post  Posted 12 Dec 2007 9:57 pm    

Well, ain't that a hoot! I figured it was written by someone who had been around Chicago when I heard the line about trying to bum a dime from the people walking on State Street (I don't know correct meter/lyric, obviously).

As for who was singing it, that's what I'm trying to find out. I heard it broadcast, but the singer's name wasn't announced. However, the singer sang "Chicago's city streets" vs. "lonely streets".

Reminds me Merle's "Streets of Chicago". Wonderful song. I'd like to learn it.

George Rozak

Braidwood, Illinois USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2007 10:18 pm    

You must have heard Darnell's version Buddy, unless somebody else recorded it that I'm not aware of. Darnell changed some of the words around. The original version by Eddie was titled "Chicago's Lonely Streets." I'm sure I've got some old 45s of Eddie's version around here somewhere. If you can find something to play it on, I'll see if I can dig one out and send it to you. Drop me an email with your address or post it here if you'd like, and I'll start looking.

George

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2007 8:06 pm    

Maybe you guys can help out another Chicago brother:

About 15 years ago I heard a song on Joliet's WCCQ & the chorus was something like "The lights don't shine so bright in Cal City anymore." Great David Ball-ish vocal & real purty steel. With the Cal City reference, I figure the guy must be local & would love to know who recorded it & get a copy of that song. Thanks!

Buddy Carter

Post  Posted 14 Dec 2007 8:58 am    

George, you were right. He does sing "Chicago's Lonely Streets". I heard it again last night.

Frank, I'm at a loss on your song. I've never lived where I was able to pick up WCCQ very well, so I likely never heard the song. I used to listen to WAIT-AM, who used to simulcast with WCCQ, but they dropped the country format in 1988.

George Rozak

Braidwood, Illinois USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2007 9:32 pm    

Frank... I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that song either. I also haven't listened to WCCQ much over the years, so I wouldn't have heard it there either. Are you familiar with the Lake'N Park Inn that was located at 108th & Roberts Road? I believe it was in Palos or close by. That used to be one of my old stompin' grounds out in that area along with the Pinto Lounge in Tinley.

Buddy... Did you happen to catch the name of the singer this time? I'm curious to know how they came to add that song to their playlist. It's almost 40 years old and the record sales back then started off kind of slow and then tapered off if you know what I mean. Whoa! I cann't imagine how they even came up with a copy of it after all these years.

Buddy Carter

Post  Posted 14 Dec 2007 10:07 pm    

I heard it on a webcast of KSEY from Seymour, TX.; do check it out at KSEY.com. In the evening, they play a recorded show hosted by Jim Loeseberg, which contiuously reruns. Anyway, since Thanksgiving a number of Christmas songs have been added. I'm guessing that may be how your song was added, as it has a Christmas reference in it. Anyway, each time I hear the song, it is a rerun, and the singer's name was never announced. So, I still don't know who was singing. But, I've heard it about a half dozen times.

RE: Lake N Park Inn; did you play there? A friend of mine does some gigs in Wilmington with a bass player who did something like ten years playing at the Lake N Park. I can't think of his name; maybe Dave, or Bob? The drummer my friend works with goes by the handle of H.B., who I think may also have worked there. Terrific drummer. I had a chance to do a couple of gigs with him over the summer.

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2007 11:10 am    

Hey guys -

Sure, I've been to Lake N Park a couple of times when it was open. It was great: beer served in a can, gravel parking lot, a little bit of hillbilly heaven right there on Roberts Road.

My little band used to play the Pinto Lounge back about 10-15 years ago. Used to sit in sometimes w/ Windy City Country (who played Lake N Park also) w/ a guitar player named Mac (who liked his Jack Black)and a steel player named Eddie Hutchins who had a red Sho-Bud D-10. I was humbled to meet Russ Rickman one time at the Pinto - he really could play that 11-string.

BTW, one of the nice things about satellite radio is that it displays the song title and artist as the music plays & there's a button on the unit so you can save that info for later reference. Might help out w/ George's song. Merry Christmas!

Last edited by Frank Freniere on 20 Dec 2007 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

George Rozak

Braidwood, Illinois USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2007 9:10 pm    

I haven't been able to find a playlist, but now I'm pretty certain it's Eddie's version Buddy, again unless it's been recorded by someone else that I'm not aware of. As an aside, Jeff Newman was the steel player on that particular recording by Eddie.

I cann't place the names of the bass player or the drummer you mentioned, although I'd reckon there's a better than even chance I'd probably recognize one or both of them if I ran into either in person. Wilmington is just a stones throw down the road from me. Never played the Lake'N Park (or many other places for that matter - took a 25 year hiatus from steel, but that's another story), but had quite a few friends who did over the years. It only cost me a dollar cover charge and 80 cents a beer to see Willie there in person (with Jimmy Day) when he was still Mr. cleancut back in the early 70s.

Frank... The wife and I were driving thru Tinley one Saturday night about six or eight years ago on our way home from somewhere (don't remember where). The sign on the Pinto still said live country music, so I asked her if she wanted to stop in. I probably hadn't been there in 12 or 14 years. We paid the cover charge ($5 each if I remember correctly) and ordered a couple of beers. When the band started, they were absolutely horrible - loud hard rock I guess, certainly not country though. I asked the waitress if Bert still owned the place. She said he'd passed away about 3 years earlier. Needless to say, that was my last experience with the Pinto Lounge.

I worked downtown in the loop (not in music) in 1970. That's where the idea for CLS came from. Used to spend alot of time in the Bar Double R when it was still on Madison street. Either of you guys familiar with the Sundowners or the Bar Double R Rangers with Tiny Murphy on steel?

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2007 12:40 pm    

Quote:
Reminds me Merle's "Streets of Chicago". Wonderful song. I'd like to learn it.

Buddy, Merle's wonderful song is "Sidewalks of Chicago".

Here's the chorus:

"Now I'm walkin' on the sidewalks of Chicago
If I buy the bread I can't afford the wine
Now I'm walkin' on the sidewalks of Chicago
Wishin' I had lived some other time"

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2007 6:23 pm    

Hey George -

I used to work down in the Loop too('80's tho) & spent a fair amount of time under the old Greyhound Bus station, a/k/a the Bar Double R. Free Chili on your birthday. Supposedly Joel Daly the TV anchor played with the Sundowners. Never got to see a steeler with them, tho.

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2007 6:27 am    

Frank, yes, the Chicago TV news anchorman, Joel Daley, did perform with The Sundowners. I have a CD of Joel Daley and The Sundowners live at the Opry House in Sandwich, Illinois. Ace steel picker, and my mentor, Paul Carestia played steel on the recording. Another great picker, by the name John Rice played lead guitar and fiddle.

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

George Rozak

Braidwood, Illinois USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2007 9:18 pm    

I saw Joel Daley there many times Frank - after the RR Ranch moved from Madison to Randolph (under the bus station). It must have been pretty close to the WLS studios, as sometimes it seemed the whole newsteam would stop by after the ten o'clock news broadcast ended. I can remember seeing Tim Weigel there too. Joel always got up to sing a few songs and in later years actually became part of the Sundowners touring band.

Curt Delaney, the bass player for the Sundowners, was originally a steel player. When they used to play sets opposite the RR Rangers, he'd frequently play Tiny Murphy's steel for part of the set. I used to see him at the convention in St. Louis quite often after the Sundowners went into semi-retirement. I believe Curt passed away sometime around 1997. Bobby Boyd passed on a couple of years later. The last time I saw Don Walls he was in a wheelchair. I've been told that Don also played steel. They were true Chicago legends IMO, having played together for a good 30 years.

Buddy Carter

Post  Posted 18 Dec 2007 9:18 pm    

George, I heard it again this evening about 10:10. It was Eddie Clatterbuck. The introduction was made a couple songs earlier in the program. The program has been repeating pretty steadily. Chances are if you log on to KSEY.com tomorrow, you will hear it between 10:00 and 10:30 PM.

Glenn, thanks for the correction on Merle's tune. I knew it had a name, I just used the wrong one. Embarassed Very Happy

RE: Bar RR; it closed before I ever had a chance to go in there. The Sundowners opened 'Sundowners Ranch" in Franklin Park in Chicago's western 'burbs, just in time for line dancing to put them out of biz. My friend that I was saying plays in Wilmington used to frequent the place.

Sadly, I think all of the original Sundowners have passed away. I do have an LP of theirs, circa 1980, of western cowboy tunes, and Bloodshot records here in town released a Sundowners tribute album a couple years back.

Are any of you familiar with singer Kent Rose? He used to work the Bar RR. I've had the pleasure of working with him for several years. He made an EP a few years back using both John Rice and Paul Carastia, along with Dan Massey on drums and Jim Anderson on bass.

I've also seen John Rice do some reunions with The Rattlers, with T. C. Furlong on steel, Olly O'Shea fiddlin' and frontin', - and now I'm blanking on the drummer's and bass player's last names - you know, Billy the drummer and Barney the bass player.

ARGH!! They say...something...is the first thing to go, but I can't remember what it is... Rolling Eyes Smile

Michael Lee Allen

Portage Park / Irving Park, Chicago, Illinois
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2007 1:07 pm    

REMOVED

Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 1 Mar 2011 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total

Michael Lee Allen

Post  Posted 19 Dec 2007 1:15 pm    

REMOVED

Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 1 Mar 2011 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total

George Rozak

Braidwood, Illinois USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2007 9:05 pm    

Thanks for the info Buddy. Looks like we both posted at the same time yesterday. I also have a copy the the Sundowners album that you mentioned. It was a top notch production IMO. The name Kent Rose doesn't ring a bell, but I don't remember too many names from way back when anymore. I do remenber a guitar player/singer who played by himself between sets, but I think his name might have been Conrad something - at least that's what sticks in my mind right now. Cann't be sure though as the old memory gets a bit foggy going back that far. BTW, that's the second thing to go Buddy - not the first. Whoa!

I remember Billy Ambrosini Michael, but I'm thinking he was a drummer - not a bassist. He was married to a piano player that went by a different name (Debbie Lee maybe - cann't be sure). I don't remember her ever playing in the band, but she did some recording session work that I'm familiar with.

Michael Lee Allen

Post  Posted 19 Dec 2007 9:27 pm    

REMOVED

Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 1 Mar 2011 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total

Michael Lee Allen

Post  Posted 19 Dec 2007 9:33 pm    

REMOVED

Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 1 Mar 2011 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total

Buddy Carter

Post  Posted 19 Dec 2007 10:24 pm    

Billy Schaffer is the drummer I'm thinking about. I've had the pleasure of doing a few gigs with him as well in the last few years. He's the only drummer I've ever met in this area who classifies himself as a Western Swing drummer. Cool

George Rozak

Braidwood, Illinois USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2007 4:54 pm    

OK Michael... Now you're really dredging up some memories. Ray Garrison and Jim Lauderdale originally had their own band, separate from Don Barnett & the Nu-Jays, when they started playing the Lake'N Park Inn. Both bands played there at the same time, at least on weekends, doing alternate sets. I remember them playing at the Four Palms in Joliet, where they called themselves Ray Garrison and the HooRays, before they moved on to the Lake'N Park. Ray on lead/vocals and Jim on rhythm/vocals with Denton Walker on steel. The drummer was named George something - cann't remember who was on bass anymore. I took steel lessons from Denton circa 1969-70. I believe both bands may have eventually merged into one with Don Barnett as the bandleader. Cann't remember Don Barnett ever using a steel much though. He had a pretty decent instrumental out called "Shower of Stars" that got quite a bit of local airplay on WJJD.

Tiny Murphy was also a bit of a Chicago legend. He was the staff steel player on the WLS Barn Dance (later the WGN Barn Dance). He played at the RR Ranch with the Bar Bouble R Rangers, doing alternate sets with the Sundowners. I believe that may have only been at the Madison Street location, before it moved to Randolf Street. When he retired, he moved back to Kentucky. I used to see him at the convention in St. Louis after his retirement - he even played on the main stage there. He passed away sometime in the mid 90s I believe.

Michael Lee Allen

Post  Posted 28 Dec 2007 9:10 am    

REMOVED

Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 1 Mar 2011 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total

George Rozak

Braidwood, Illinois USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2008 4:58 pm    

Michael... I've also got the "Maria" album on Ovation, as well as the "Live" album. The "Live" album was on Brave Records, a label that Marvin Rainwater was associated with for a time. I believe that the Ovation album was produced by Brien Fisher. He worked out of the old Brave studio in Harvey quite a bit. Not sure if "Maria" was recorded there though.

The name Bonnie Lou doesn't ring a bell off hand, but I do remember Sharon Stone and Don Botts. I'd have to dig it out to be sure, but I believe both of them were featured on the "Live" album.

Another vocalist that comes to mind from the L&PI is Lois Kay (I think, could have the name wrong again). I believe that she had at least one album out back in the 70s.

George

Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2008 1:09 am    

This thread is bringing back memories...
Played my first gig ever at Bert's Pinto Lounge
Bert and wife Betty were great folks
I always thanked Bert Cummings for helping give me my "start"
His place is where I first met Joliet steel guitarist Dusty Nall who was one of Joel Daly's Sundowners
Also where I first met Nelson Wynn and Paul Redmond
as steel players were frequently playing there
I believe the song played on WCCQ was called "CAL CITY ISN'T SWINGIN' ANYMORE"
Eddie Hutchins died several years ago-got my first used Emmons P/P from Him back in 1980
Russ Rickman moved to Texas several years ago
as I recall he played a S-13 BMI
Tiny Murphy also passed away a few years back
I saw him at Scotty's convention for his last time
He knew that He had little time left
Don't know what happened to Butch Butler
I have an old LP that he appears on of "Sherrie Lynn and Her Chauffeurs"
Anyone else remember local steeler Duane West?
And how about Larry Marvel?-He was the first local steeler I ever saw play-I heard he went on to Nashville
My Mentor on steel was Mike Rio-Don't remember how many nights I would sit in a set or two for him at A&J'S Lounge in Summit-You guys remember that place?
Most of my time was spent between The Pinto Lounge and A&J'S
and Lake N Park for the ladies wet T-shirt contests
I played in Wilmington later on in the early 90's making the rounds with Southern Knights Band-I remember playing at Tuffy's several times
Ray Garrison's son Mike played guitar with us towards the end
Those were the days Exclamation