The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Could this be done to a pedal steel???
Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2007 12:32 pm    

I wonder if this were possible or would it take the fun out of tuning up??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WetVXbYRfWk

Micky Byrne United Kingdom

Calvin Walley

colorado city colorado, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2007 12:40 pm    

micky
this was somewhere on the forum about a month ago

Mullen SD-10 /nashville 400
gotta love a Mullen!!!

Guitars that i have owned in order are :
Mullen SD-10,Simmons SD-10,Mullen SD-10,Zum stage one,Carter starter,
Sho-Bud Mavrick

Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2007 1:00 pm    

Hi Calvin.....must have missed it, sorry all !! Very Happy

Micky Byrne United Kingdom

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2007 1:09 pm    

Micky,

That would be useful for swapping the top C6th string between G and D. I've watched Doug Jernigan do this manually for different songs. With temperature changes my guitar goes all over the place and it would be a real time saver to re-tune in a hurry. Trouble is, I always hit and release certain pedal or knee levers to manually adjust for string hysteresis. Now if it could tune the pedals and knees, that would be super cool. It's nice to see the technology get better every year.

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2007 1:15 pm    

You won't have to wait much longer..http://perfecttouchpicks.com/page9.htm

Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2007 1:17 pm    

Hmmm, you don't have to know how to tune or restring a guitar now...

Is this what's next

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2007 2:11 pm    

Andy - Can you find one with an automatic crank, instead of that old-fashioned manual crank model?

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2007 8:19 pm    

Calvin Walley wrote:
micky
this was somewhere on the forum about a month ago

I believe it was also discussed about 2 yrs. ago when the system was first marketted. From what I remember the general impression was that it could be done, but with pedal steel you would have to have a separate electric tuning mechanism for tuning the pedals and knee levers.

I'm sure if someone had enough financing to carry out the development work it could be done, and would be a great timesaver setting up on stage, but he would need to sell a lot of them to recoup his investment, and I'm not sure there are that many pedal steel players who would order what could become a very expensive instrument.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2007 10:55 pm    

Alan F. Brookes wrote:
...but with pedal steel you would have to have a separate electric tuning mechanism for tuning the pedals and knee levers.

You're supposed to tune them things too? Whoa! Winking

Seriously, I rarely tune my pedals and knee levers. As long as I stick with the same string gauges, the pedals and knee levers stay in tune.

Sigi Meissner

Duebendorf, Switzerland
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2007 1:30 am    

I go with Alan. A self tuning steel will hardly find buyers. Even at the same price. I think most steelers love the mechanical parts and also the opportunity to replace anything by themselves.

Just imagine a (maybe) coming development in 50 Years:
Single Neck Steel is connected to the Notebook wireless.
On the screen you program today's tuning,E9,C6,Fis13b9#5 whatever. you check all remote contol systems ( No Pedal Rods and Pull Rods anymore) You wear a helmet with an inside screen which shows tabs. A voice guides through your practicing session.
A video camera controls your movements. A video clip shows for tutorial purposes an evaluated and corrected version. This will be Matrix III. I hope I won't experience that

Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2007 6:40 pm    

just because it tunes itself doesn't mean someone can play it in tune. It's just more snake oil .
Rittenberry SD10 , Derby D-10, Quilter TT12, Peavey Session 400 w/ JBL, NV112, Fender Blues Jr. , 1974 Dobro 60N squareneck, Rickenbacher NS lapsteel, 1973 Telecaster Thinline, 1979 blonde/black Frankenstrat
Currently picking with
Mason Dixon Band masondixonband.net

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2007 7:00 pm    

On my MSA, as with most guitars I've owned, the open tuning and the pedal and knee lever tuning drift a lot with temperature. When I played in noisy clubs it was a complete don't care. When I started recording, it stood out like a sore thumb. I tune up all the pedals/knees just before laying down tracks to get the tuning to an acceptable point.

Yeh, you still have to play it in tune, but I am used to positioning and bending the bar to play in tune based on a certain open and knee/pedal tuning point.

I've watched all the pro's tune all brands of guitars, both open and pedals as they go from cold to warm to get everything just right. My house is at 60 deg f overnight and at 70 deg during the time I am awake. This causes a very noticeable (to the ear) change in the open and pedal/knee tuning. The MSA is a fine guitar, but I don't measure the ultimate quality of a guitar based on how it's tuning changes with temperature. Even a $100,000 Strad changes with temperature.

I was quick to ditch my slide rule when calculators came out. I will be just as quick to ditch manual tuning if it allows me to spend more time playing and less time tuning. And also it would mean a higher percentage of the time playing in tune since I would touch up the tuning more often. You'd still have to offset the tuning to allow for the first activation of pedals/knees that causes hystereis effects.

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2007 10:29 am    

Greg, Great post. It brought back memories.
I can vouch for what you said regarding temperature swings and tuning. My 1976 MSA Classic D10 was exactly like that. When I brought it in from the cold and set it up in a warm dance hall, it was always 3 cents sharp right across the board. What I did was just leave it for about a half hour and the thing would have dropped back in tune.

Here is my current situation: My home built, which I have set up in my garage, goes completely nuts as the temp in there sometimes goes down to as low as 50. Then it straightens right back up when the temp reaches livable levels at 68 to 72. Since I heat the place with a wood stove, there is a lack of control and some times the temp can go as high as 86. The steel seems to love any range from 68 to 86.