The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone ever use "Avantone" mics from Avant Electro
Brian McGaughey

Orcas Island, WA USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2007 6:59 am    

I'm looking at purchasing a pair of cardiod condenser mics for vocals at my home studio. Something under $200 each (which has them built in China most likely). I was condsidering something from the MXL line and then this was recommended to me.

http://www.avantelectronics.com/CK-6.htm

Anyone have any "feedback" on this manufacturer and model? (Can't help that pun when talking about mics!)

Otherwise was considering a pair of MXL V67i s which have the two different elements, a warm and a bright.

Any ideas? Chime in please!

Chuck Fisher

Santa Cruz, California, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2007 2:08 pm    

the mxl v-69 tube condenser is very good, sounds old school with 6 mil diaphragm. the Nady 1050 is amazing but some are not good, buy from MF, i got a dead one, but next one was killer. YMNV.

tubes rule

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2007 4:09 pm    

A friend who is a big fan of very expensive studio mics swears this is one of the best mic's he's ever heard in his life. He keeps telling me to get one. He said if I like the AKG C12, I'll love this mic.

http://www.avantelectronics.com/CV-12.htm

Brad

Jerry Gleason

Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2007 1:58 am    

The other Avantone mic that looks interesting is the small-diaphram tube mic, the CV-28. I don't know if it's exactly the same mic, but it looks very similar to the Groove Tubes / Sterling Audio GT44 / ST44. I have the Sterling version, and it's a superb instrument mic. It's my favorite mic for upright bass, and a pair of them would be great as drum overheads (I wish I had a matched pair). It's actually got a tiny vacuum tube inside the mic body, about the size of a pencil eraser. The Avantone has interchangable capsules, compared to the GT/ST44, which is cardioid only, and it has a better shock mount.

Definitely a line of microphones worth checking out.

Brian McGaughey

Orcas Island, WA USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2007 6:08 am    

Thanks for the "input" guys.

The Avantone CV-12 looks like a great mic. Out of budget range to buy 2 right now, though.

I'm wondering this: most of the vocals in our band that I'll be recording are 2 part harmony sang by a male and female. Would the tradeoff of having both singers use the CV-12 mic set to the figure 8 pattern be worth not having individual control of eq, pan, gain, etc. for each vocalist? They are good at blending and singing together.

Otherwise with this 1 mic, a seperate take for each would work but surely miss the "magic" of some duet style performances, right?

The other option is purchase 2 lesser priced ($200 to $300) priced mics and have a lesser sonic quality perhaps but proper control.

So, anyone ever record 2 vocalist (1 male, 1 female) at once in this manner on each side of the mic?

I'm just aiming toward a good demo quality recording.

Thanks fellas.