The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Phantom Power recorders?
Jordan Sayers

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2007 5:31 pm    

I'm looking at getting a digital recorder, likely the Fostex MR8 HDCD or the Tascam DP-01 FXCD (I looked at a few others but these look the easiest to use).

They both have XLR "phantom power", whatever that means; it's my understanding that I should purchase one with this "phantom" power. Anybody here have any thoughts on which one is easier to use? Does the Tascam have any features that make it preferable over the Fostex or visa versa?

I really appreciate everyone's thoughts as I've never used a digital recorder before and am rather intimidated. I had an old Tascam casette 4-track back in the mid-90s that was easy to use, but these digital recorders look a bit more complicated. Thanks!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2007 2:39 am    

I have a Fostex VF160 and it's worked well. It will record 8 tracks at a time and sometimes 8 isn't enough.

As far as the Phantom Power, that is a voltage that is made available on the microphone jacks for Condenser mic's which require a voltage to work. On my Fostex it's a programmable setup option, not just a mechanical switch to turn it on or off. P.A. mics such as the Shure SM57 and 58 do not require phantom power.

Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2007 8:48 am    

Hey Jordan, most of the cheaper recorders don't come with real good mic pres and normally if one is serious about getting a good vocal or acoustic sound to track they spend an extra few bucks and buy some sort of an external Mic pre and they usually come with phantom power. A lot of folks buy the ART preamps which can be had for anywhere from 39.00 bucks all the way up to hundreds of dollars but I suspect you could get by with one from 39.00 to 99.99 bucks.

Ask Jack Stoner he use to use an ART and he seemed to like it I think. I'm not sure which model he used but I do think he might have used a couple of them.

So if you do buy a recorder without phantom power remember to add the price of a good Mic pre to the total expense.

Even if you buy an expensive digital hardware recorder most of them still don't spend a lot of money on the Mic pres. So if you decide to go with a more expensive recorder I'd still consider upgrading the Mic pres.

Bob