Bill

Johnny Baldwin

Long Beach, California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2007 8:08 am    

Wow E.T. is good...nice bar technique.

Glyn Bone

Halifax.Nova Scotia. Canada * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2007 10:10 am    

Now you`ve gone and done Bill, know anyone who wants to by a used Carter SD10 4&5??? after seeing that I`m quittin` Whoa!

Carter SD10 4x5 with Wallace TrueTone ( 18K ohms)
Peavey NV 112
Hilton Vol.Ped.
Brad Sarno 'Freeloader'
Boss/Roland SE-20 Space Echo
BJS `Hughey` bar
BJS 1" bar
Zookie thumbpicks
Dunlop and JN finger picks

James R. Cole

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2007 11:00 am    

WOW!!! The playing was great. I have a two year old grandson too and what I really would like to know is how you keep him sitting in one spot for that long.

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2007 11:41 am    

Very nice !
Now,more seriously,Bill,is that you playing?

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2007 2:24 pm    

Nope John, That's really the Big E.
However I will be playing this song at the GaSGA show this Sunday and hope to get it video taped. If so, I will post it on YouTube next week.

But thanks for the compliment.

Bill

Colm Chomicky

Kansas, (Prairie Village)
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2007 2:55 pm    

Great video, grandson got to play the steel and did a fine job.

But when do we get to see granddad go sliding down the Little Tikes slide in the background?

James Harrison

New Brockton, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2007 7:28 pm    

Hi Bill, we finally have someone that plays as good as you. (just Kidding) He reminds me of my 2 year old greatgrandson that likes to play his Di-Tar.
James

Bernie Gonyea

Sherman Tx. 75092 ,U.S.A. (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2007 7:51 pm     E.T., The Child Prodogy Of Grampa Bill

Hey, Bill, I do believe this boy could teach the Big E a few tricks on that steel. good luck on your performance coming Sunday; will watch for your U-Tube next week..Bernie Whoa! Whoa! Very Happy

Ricky Thibodeaux

Dallas,Texas
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2007 3:20 am     WOW

He is great. I like the hammer on he does and what's he using for a bar? Is that a chesse snack stick?

Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 31 Oct 2007 3:24 am    

Thanks Bill, this will start my day off on the right foot.

Dana Stewart

Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2007 3:36 am    

I can't listen on my old computer, but this picture is so cute!! I am going to have to get Austin's notebook out and watch this clip. Tooo cute!! Thanks for sharing.

Dana

Bernie Gonyea

Post  Posted 31 Oct 2007 10:02 am     Child Prodogies Of The Steel Guitar

Very Happy Very Happy Hi Dana; How old was Austin when he really showed an interest and began digging into the capabilities of learning to play the steel? This instrument will really be noticed by the young people, when they see that young lads like Austin have accomplished the nitty gritty of actually becoming a fine steel guitarist. I hope that Bill's grandson will tackle the machine, as he ages.. thanks, Bernie Whoa! Whoa!

Dana Stewart

Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2007 4:11 am    

Hi Bernie. Austin was around two when he started sitting on Dad's lap. He was four when we realized he could actually pick out the song he was "play" along with on the CD. He was six before we ever put him on stage and then he only plucked one string and moved his bar. By the next year, he was using three strings and by age 8 he was using pedals. We had to lower his guitar 6 inches (I think, Dad can correct me if I am wrong) so he could reach them. Once he found those pedals, it went from there and he has not slowed down since. He learned by playing CDs and strumming along. It was horrible noise after horrible noise with little brother drumming along with a pencil/spoon and a pan/toy drum. Let those kids make those awful noises folks, it just might turn into beautiful music some day.

Dana

Bernie Gonyea

Post  Posted 1 Nov 2007 3:49 pm     Bill's Grandson/ Austin Stewart

Bill; not only have the little guy watch you every chance he gets, but allow him to see & hear Austin as often as you can; or any other young lad or lassie, whom plays Steel; he is sure to catch on, sooner or later. And with grampa's ability to master this fine instrument, The tyke will learn quickly. After you've mastered the terrible noise which comes with all the continued practice; as Dana said, eventually you'll hear beautiful sounding music, coming forth from that young grandson.. Am I right, Austin & Dana..And I'd like to congratulate Austin on that fine job he did on " I'll Come Runnin."
Does Jerry have it down PAT, yet, Dana? Bernie Very Happy Very Happy Whoa! Whoa!

Jerry H. Moore

Newnan, GA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2007 6:45 pm    

I thought I knew what love was.....until our first grandchild came along. I noticed the playground in the background. Are you in his room or is he in yours? Smile My grandson just turned 11 and a few years back showed interest in my steel, a Carter Starter at the time. I showed him a little which was all I knew and it was fun. He said it sounded like Sponge Bob. He's now skateboarding and other skint kneed boy stuff. I hope one day he will want to take it further. Thanks for posting this, it made an old memory come alive.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2007 5:20 am    

You are right Jerry. Eli was my first grandchild (I now have 2). I am his world and he is mine, even though we live 350 miles apart.

That is my room. I keep a slide set up there for when I get bored. hehe.

Take care,
Bill
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Cass Broadview

Post  Posted 12 Nov 2007 9:10 pm    

So cute Bill.....