The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Steel Guitar Jazz Project on YouTube
Jeff Lampert

queens, new york city
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2007 5:44 am    

Terrific Bob. Are you playing in any jazz clubs? If so, what is the reaction you get from other jazz players/fans with respect to the sound of the steel in this setting? Do they regard to as a curiosity or as a legitmate jazz instrument, or something in-between? Thanks. .. Jeff

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2007 8:22 am    

Jeff-I hope it is a better reaction than it used to be. I remember way back in the late 40's and early 50's when I sat in on a jam session, with horns, etc. with my 6 pedal Gibson E6 , setup sorta like C6 today.
At first they held their nose and laughed, UNTIL I sat down and played. From then on they had more respect and welcomed me to their sessions, in fact they used to call me up and tell me there was a session and would I join.

That was almost 60 years ago, and I surely hope that with great Jazz steelers now like you and Bob that you are now welcomed into the jazz inner circles, making the steel guitar better known as a more versatile legitimate intrument, than was preiviously accepted.I hope, I hope.

After all, it has been accepted in the Country, Pop field and Mike Perlowin had got it into the Classic field, Why not the Jazz Field.....?...al.SmileSmile

My Email.. almarcus@cmedic.net
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2007 12:23 pm     Jam session

Here is a picture of me at a Jazz jam session in about 1950 ...al.Smile
Well, it worked!!

My Email.. almarcus@cmedic.net
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus

Bob Taillefer

Canada
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2007 12:17 pm     Thank you!

Gerry,

It is so good to hear from you!

Thanks for the kind words.

I always appreciated the fact that you invited me twice to your convention in England in the 80's.

Jeff,

Thanks also for the kind words!

The Toronto jazz musicians have been very receptive to the steel guitar.

For them, the steel is fair game in Jazz.

The Cadillac Lounge is a roots type club. (Blues, Cajun, Jazz, Folk, R & B, Country).

The reaction to The Steel Guitar Jazz Project at this establisment has been very positive. The audience does not regard the steel as a curiosity.

Al,

It seems like I have been luckier than you in regards to the steel being accepted in Jazz. In the past, I have heard of steel players being ridiculed for trying to play in a Jazz setting. Of course, the ridiculing stopped as soon as the steel player started playing horn lines.

Thanks for posting such a great photo of you jamming!

Regards

Bob

Gerry Hogan

Burghclere, Hampshire, England
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2007 4:28 am    

Bob,

Just received my CD today! Very Happy It's fantastic and right on the money for today, in my view. I'm so pleased that you have a super place in Toronto to show off this stuff live! I reiterate that I hope all your projects are hugely successful. I'll see you soon at Scotty's! Very Happy

Gerry

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2007 4:50 am    

Bob,
Great work ! Lets do a show together at a jazz club in NYC soon. It would be a blast. We could rake in 10's of dollars and 2 comped drinks (tap beer and well only) for each band member. But really, I would love to set something up. The jazz guys love steel in NYC also.

John Poston

Albuquerque, NM, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2007 9:09 am    

That's a wild fun arrangement on well you neednt.

Jeff Lampert

queens, new york city
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2007 3:37 pm    

Al,

Thanks very much for your posts and your kind words. You are an icon of the steel community and all steel guitar jazz players hold you in high esteem for all you have done in helping us to be accepted in the jazz community.

Bob T.,

I sent you back an e-mail. I love your playing as well. If perchance you should end up in NYC at any time, besides seeing Bob H., I hope you will give me a call as well. I would dearly love to meet you and swap thoughts about what we do. Take care and keep pushing the steel forward. Today's jazz playing steel guitaists are true pioneers IMO, and need to be heard by as many people as possible. .. Jeff

Jeff Lampert

queens, new york city
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2007 1:19 pm    

Bob T.,

I e-mailed you what you asked for and I look forward to it. Thanks again for your wonderful words. It means a great deal to me to be appreciated by someone such as yourself who has such a strong grounded understanding and affection for jazz playing and is such a terrific jazz musician. It fuels my efforts to continue to develop my own playing.

I look forward to our meeting sometime in the future.

My kindest regards for now,

Jeff

Corky Anderson

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2007 10:14 pm    

Hey Bob, these clips are just great!! It was fun to hang out and hear your set at the Lesliville steel show this past june. Keep it up and the best of luck to you! I hope to hear and see you again soon!

Emmons D-10 NV 1000/400 Lexicon Mx 200

Tele....twin.....boss pedals

Bob Taillefer

Canada
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2007 9:47 am     Merci!

Gerry,
Thanks again for the kind words! I appreciate the support. See you in St Louis!

Bob H,
Anytime my friend. I would love to play some Jazz in New York City. Let's keep it touch!

John,

Well You Need'nt was arranged by the trumpeter, Bob Rice. He is a very in demand trumpeter and arranger in the Toronto Canada area. His ideas are very modern. He loves the pedal steel guitar.
I first heard Ron Halldorson play Well You Need'nt on a CBC Jazz Radio Show broadcasted from Winnipeg Canada in the early 80's. I have been playing it ever since.

Jeff,

Thanks also for the kind words. Many have blazed the Jazz trail for us, I feel that I still have a long way to go before I can call myself a jazz musician. But I am having a ball trying! Very Happy

Robert,

Jeff Bradshaw's Leslieville Show was a highlight for me. Getting to hang out with all the pickers was very enjoyable. The level of musicianship was very high!

Merci beaucoup! Bob

Bob Taillefer

Canada
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2007 7:10 am     Cadillac Lounge

Hello! Bonjour! Hola!

Just a note to let you know that The Steel Guitar Jazz Project still plays every Tuesday at the Cadillac Lounge in Toronto. www.cadillaclounge.com

Drop in for a visit! We would love to see you!

Bob

Bob Taillefer

Canada
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2007 6:51 pm     Last gig of the year!

Hello! Bonjour! Hola!

Just a note to let you know that The Steel Guitar Jazz Project will play its last gig of the year tomorrow (Tuesday October 30).

I would like to thank the Cadillac Lounge and all the people who came to support the band.

A special thanks to Gord and Ulla for their incredible support.

Salut! Bob