The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  H4 help
Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2007 6:03 pm    

OK. I got this thing yesterday, but I can't seem to get it to record correctly. I think I have followed the instructions. I have the gain set on automatic, the monitor on and the switch set for mike and MP3 record.

I push the record button and it records, but on playback I hear nothing thru the headphones and the level bars don't seem to go to much to the right.

What kind of volume is expected at the headphones, barely hear it or get blasted out?

I know some of you have got them working. I need some suggestions.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2007 6:11 pm    

Hmmm... I've not had that problem at all. I hesitate to ask the obvious, but you have turned the little volume wheel on the left side all the way up (and not down), right?

Even so, the level bars should be moving if it recorded the first time, so maybe it didn't? One thing to note about the H4 is you have to press the record button TWICE. The first time, it just flashes red and shows the levels without recording. The 2nd time you press it, it stops flashing and goes to solid red light at which point it is recording. The 3rd time you press it, it stops recording. But you knew all that too, right?

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2007 6:33 pm    

Thanks Jim. I had it set as you describe.
got to looking around in the input menu and found I didn't have the record set to mike. Now it's working. Duh. Embarassed

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2007 6:50 pm    

Now that I've sorta learned how to work this thing, my plan is to take it back East and record a formal jam session of old friends. Formal means that everyone will sign in for a time slot.

I am wondering which gain setting is best. The L or the M. Sounds like the M would be better, but I'm not sure. Also, would it be wise to use compression?

Thanks for the help.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2007 7:01 pm    

Ken, I guess the gain might depend on how far away you are from the players and their amps. But, you can test it out first by hitting the Record button once (flashing red) while the band is warming up or playing a little ditty, and watch the meters to see if they're maxing out or in a good range, then change it if necessary before pressing it the 2nd time to record. Anyway, that's probably what I would do.

Charlie Powell

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2007 7:15 pm    

I always record with mine on M setting. Even that is a bit low a lot of time, but the H setting picks up too much background noise. So just set it on M. Then later after you get back to your computer, import it into Cubase and Normalize it to get the volume levels right where they are supposed to be. After normalizing, you just click export mixdown and make a new mp3 from the normalized track. Sounds great and easy too. I do not use auto gain or compression.

If what I described wasn't clear, e-mail me and I will try to explain further.

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2007 8:17 pm    

Well thanks. I'll go with M then. I didn't think of normalizing after I download, but I'll do that as well.

Maybe I'll throw up a link for a song or two when it's ready. It might give folks something to hear how it does.

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2007 7:44 am    

For a band live I go with M and L depending on loudness and distance.

I do not use auto gain, It doesn't pump like some units,
but I prefer to get a solid signal with the jog wheel
on the right side. Also experiment a bit with the mic emulation.
U-87 is a bit bassier,
C414 pretty clear,
and no mic emulation a bit flat ish.
But that depends on room and band.
Best to try a song on each mic while in a non critical situation.

You can also hear the difference in bit rate and sampling rate as you switch across types.
I generall do 44.1 24 bit,
but more subtle cymbal oriented or acoustic instruments of antique origins might be helped by 96kz.

Get Kensington or other top level SD cards.
Some of the cheaper ones are a wast of money
and time.

Real happiness has no strings attached.
But pedal steels have many!

Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2007 7:11 am    

I love the H4 and but I hate the user interface. I'm constantly forgetting how to use it correctly and have to refer to the manual, or I am traversing wrong menu paths. Not to mention I need strong magnifying glasses to read the darn thing!

Craig Stenseth

Naperville, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2007 9:51 am    

I just saw a note on the Zoom forum that the new version of the firmware (v2.0) adds several useful options, including a larger font.
http://www.2090.org/zoom/bbs/viewforum.php?f=15

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2007 1:37 am    

Does it not have a variable input level control ?

the only one I have seen was Jim C's at St Louis and I didn't take note...

Does the H2 have the same deal, 3 different record level settings ?

t

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2007 4:24 am    

I just updated the firmware last night, thanks to this thread (or I wouldn't have even known it was available!) At first I couldn't get it to update but then I decided to follow the directions exactly, namely putting the file onto the SD card via a USB link as they advise. I had just taken the SD card out and put it into my computer's SD slot and dragged the file from my desktop to the card, then stuck the card back into the H4. No go! Ya really have to do it using the USB cable instead. Go figure.

I immediately appreciate the larger, bold font! That was my main gripe about the H4. My 2nd gripe has been that there's no simple way, while recording, to insert a track marker. Apparently that's now been fixed with the new firmware too, but I can't find any directions on their website telling you how to do it!

Tony, there is a 3-way button on the side to set the mic sensitivity (Low-Med-High).

David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2007 10:17 am    

Tony, yes, it has input levels L, M and H, for low medium and high. There is no one input level that can be suggested without knowing the recording situation. As described above, you are supposed to watch the level readings while on standby or record, and set the level so the bars are in the top half of their range without bumping the top. Generally with an electric group you will want L or M, but it depends on how loud they play, and how close the mike is.

But while we are asking questions, I have a really stupid one. When I am playing back from the unit, either with earphones or plugged into my home stereo, I cannot find the way to choose which file I want to hear. The little 4-way round control button in the center of the unit seems to have markings that indicate going forward or backwards through the tracks, like on a CD player, but when I try that I just get different menues and the track doesn't change. Is my unit broken, or am I doing this wrong?

Also, I loaded the Cubebase software on two different computers (Windows XP). On both it seems to have loaded fine, but I cannot get the program to start. Any suggestions?

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2007 10:50 am    

Hey David,
That center button is finicky. You THINK you're pressing on one edge of it, but IT THINKS you're pressing in the middle. So now what I do, when I want to press the right side down, is I LIFT UP on the LEFT side, which forces the right side down, etc. Give that a try.

The new firmware is also supposed to do some kind of automatic adjustment for the recording volume L-M-H, but, again, I can't find any directions to show how to work it. They're half-way there: they've fixed a number of problems but they won't tell you how to use it! Maybe in the NEXT version?? Sad

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2007 10:58 am    

I understand the L,M and H..but I am asking if there is a thumb wheel, like a KNOB to adjust the levels.

I have an Edirol and a Micro BR , both have volume level controls but no L,M and H settings. I set the input levels with the level control thumb wheel knob.

That was the question.

thanks

t

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2007 11:00 am    

Tony, to my knowledge, there is no continuous wheel-like function for input level, only 3 discrete settings. If it's there, it's buried too many menu levels down for me to find it.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2007 12:05 pm    

thanks Jim, is that like 1 or 2 levels deep Smile

I have been looking at the H2, not sure why, but it fascinates me..

tp

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2007 6:23 pm    

David: To find the file you want, in the play or main screen, push the jog wheel down. This will highlight the file no., in my case st-000. Then turn the jog wheel down and it will change the number in the highlight.

David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2007 10:12 pm    

Ken, thanks so much. That did it. In the main menu you have to toggle the jog wheel until the little pointer points to the file number. Then you push in the jog wheel and it highlights the file number. Then you can toggle the jog wheel up or down to find the file you want. If you then play a file, when you toggle to another file it plays the beginning of that file. So if you don't know the file names, you can toggle through them listening to the beginning of each one until you find the one you want.

Well, in spite of the mysteries of getting around in that little screen, this thing has fantastic sound, even with the built in stereo mikes.

David L. Donald

Post  Posted 25 Oct 2007 6:05 pm    

There is a main H M L level switch on the side,
but in the manue is a trim control also.

click; input menue

jog wheel; over one to Level

Click; jog wheel
and it comes up with the current varying working level.

Click; jog wheel again
and relative level control points are super-imposed
over the actual varying working level.
Use the jog wheel, as a wheel, to set levels.

This allows you to see how much you are trimming
and where it is set vs the actual working room level.

This is AFTER the H M L switch,
so you can use that too for gross level changes,
then fine tune with the wheel.

Hope this helps.
DD

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2007 1:25 am    

ahh..David, that makes sense....an additional Variable control for each of the 3 preset positions..

cool....

David L. Donald

Post  Posted 27 Oct 2007 8:48 am    

Tony I believe the presets are BEFORE the variable control.

Change the input resistance with a switch, (like 10 db pad)
and then trim as you need to digitally.