The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Has anyone tried one of these cases for lap steel?
Michael Papenburg

Oakland, CA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2007 1:37 pm    

I was doing a search for gun cases on e-bay and found the following. Has anyone tried one? I need a case for my Supro lap steel. The shipping is way more than the price of the case but it seems like it would work well.

Auction on eBay.

Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2007 2:21 pm    

Nope, haven't tried one but they look like would work great.

Jim Newberry

Seattle, Upper Left America
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2007 2:24 pm    

Yes, that's the one recommended by someone else on this forum. I got it, cut out the eggcrate foam to the shape of my Mark Vinbury Dynalap steel (commercial plug there) and it works great. My ONLY complaint is that it stinks, but that's wearing off... slowly.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2007 2:31 pm    

Case is inexpensive but the shipping costs 3 times as much. Wonder if you can pick one up locally for less?

Michael Papenburg

Oakland, CA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2007 2:32 pm    

Jim Newberry wrote:
Yes, that's the one recommended by someone else on this forum. I got it, cut out the eggcrate foam to the shape of my Mark Vinbury Dynalap steel (commercial plug there) and it works great. My ONLY complaint is that it stinks, but that's wearing off... slowly.

Thanks for your feedback and for the warning about the scent. I'll probably pick one up.

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2007 4:06 pm    

That's a rip off on the shipping.

Andy Sandoval

Post  Posted 19 Oct 2007 4:32 pm    

$44 total for a case to protect a treasure? what's the problem?

Jude Reinhardt

Weaverville, NC
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2007 7:53 pm    

Some would gladly pay fifty dollars if they could get FREE SHIPPING. Smile

Jude

"Man cannot live by bread alone, he must have Peanut Butter". - Kruger Bear

Tom Pettingill

California, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2007 8:34 pm    

Looks like it should work great and the end price is right.
I picked up a little different breakdown case a while back and lined it with gaudy lycra spandex something .. LoL

Andy Sandoval

Post  Posted 19 Oct 2007 9:25 pm    

Tom, that's a nice case. Where did you find it?

Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2007 12:14 am    

Caution-for anyone who is going to use one of these type cases-Some of us gun owners have been using cases equipped with the gray "egg crate" type foam for awhile-This stuff has the potentially bad characteristic in that it can draw in and retain mosture which in turn will discolor or even rust metal-I have several cases with the foam and have learned to put a towel or some cloth between the gun and the foam to avoid this-I would hate to see sombody's fine instrument unknowingly get damaged from this foam stuff-PW

Mark White

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2007 2:10 am    

It's relatively easy to cover the foam with some fabric and hold it in place with a hot glue (just take your time Wink ). I've done it to 2 cases similar to this. An electric carving knife works great to cut the foam if you need to.

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2007 6:45 am    

My Panada lives is a case similar to Tom's, without the casket liner. I might try that.

There were some good case discussion / ideas at
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=118557
a few weeks ago.

Tom Pettingill

California, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2007 7:26 am    

Andy, Its an ADG Sports model I got it off Ebay a while back. Its a well built case and I like it a lot.
http://www.adgsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=107&products_id=510

Thanks for the heads up Paul, thats important to know.
I used to keep my Pigeon grade 101 Winchester trap gun in one and I guess I got lucky. Though humidity was usually pretty low back in Colorado and that gun got used and cleaned a couple times a week.

Good advice Mark, that looks sharp Smile

Joey ... LoL ...casket liner ... Smile
Its not hard to do, give it a go for sure.

Jon Moen

Canada
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2007 6:23 pm    

Here are 2 of mine. The cloth also removes the friction between the foam and the finish.

Denny Turner

Oahu, Hawaii USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2007 7:04 pm    

Quote:
...the gray "egg crate" type foam for awhile-This stuff has the potentially bad characteristic in that it can draw in and retain mosture which in turn will discolor or even rust metal-

My chemistry expertise is about on par with a mongaloid; But I've been protecting instruments conventionally and non-conventionally for 47 years, so feel quite safe in suggesting:

Needless to say, air here in Hawaii is wet and salty, so we have to fight moisture and corrosion. One inexpensive way to fight moisture in guitar containers is to fill a light cotton sock about half full of raw / dried grocery store rice (smaller amounts can be used and changed more frequently), tie the remainder of the sock in a knot (best for the rice to be a bit loose rather than tight in the sock). Place it in the case and keep the case closed when not taking the instrument out or putting it in. It will absorb excess moisture and stabilize moisture content better than dessicant ...without drying out the instrument (some acoustics can be sensitive to being overly dry ...or overly damp). It should be checked about every 3 months or so ...depending on the frequency the case has been opened and the humidities it's been exposed to. I have rice socks in guitars stored away in boxes for several years with no problems at all. For cases that are opened and thus new air and possibly new biologicals introduced: If the rice doesn't still feel hard and gritty through the sock, then replace it; If in doubt untie the sock and take a look .....the rice will soften a bit if it's holding too much moisture and it will turn brownish or blackish if it starts hosting biologicals.

I highly suggest a soft cotton rag or two as a protective barrier from foam rubber (or new cotton towel(s) that's been washed and rinsed extremely well ...ie no chemical residues). I use large new washed cotton diapers, ...misted very lightly with Ace Hardware Lube-e aerosol oil (guaranteed honestly to not harm plastics ...and keeps a proper tiny bit of oil in contact with finishes and metals ...helps keep finishes juvenated and protects against corrosion). Some rubber compounds can and will discolor and ruin old laquer, and I have assumed that might be the case with foam rubber; And some foam rubber is abrasive and deteriorates into a fine grit that is quite abrasive (terrible to get any in your eye!). Gun shops I've visited and asked don't seem to have any technical clue at all what compound is in their cases' foam linings nor if it's specific to not discolor finishes or specifically non-abrasive. But I suppose if a case is made in the USA and it's label or literature says it's not abrasive and will not discolor finishes, then I think it's foam rubber would be OK.

Surplus / salvage military bunk blankets are also excellent to quite easily make extra-protection draw-string bags to place equipment in before placing them into their soft or hard cases.

Rick Aiello might fill us in on the chemistry thangs of foam rubber in these regards.

Please help support humanity:
http://www.redcross.org/en/aboutus

Last edited by Denny Turner on 21 Oct 2007 2:01 pm; edited 4 times in total

Michael Papenburg

Oakland, CA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2007 12:05 am    

Tom Pettingill wrote:
Andy, Its an ADG Sports model I got it off Ebay a while back. Its a well built case and I like it a lot.
http://www.adgsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=107&products_id=510

Thanks for the link. I ended up buying one just like yours because it looked better made to me. I don't mind spending a little more money to get something nicer.

Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2007 8:43 am     Re: Has anyone tried one of these cases for lap steel?

Michael Papenburg wrote:
I was doing a search for gun cases on e-bay and found the following. Has anyone tried one? I need a case for my Supro lap steel. The shipping is way more than the price of the case but it seems like it would work well.

Auction on eBay.

Yes -- I bought that exact same style case from that seller. I can fit both my 25" frypan clones in it (each facing the opposite direction from each other), and it was VERY much worth the ridiculous shipping fee, because I'm protecting my guitars, and I'm able to take both steels with me, but only schlep one case.

Very Happy
1956 Fender Stringmaster T-8 (C6, E13, A6); 1960 Fender Stringmaster D-8 (C6, B11/A6); Custom-made 25" aluminum cast "fry pan" with vintage Ricky p'up (C6); 1938 Epiphone Electar (A6); 1953 Oahu Tonemaster; assorted ukuleles; upright bass

Denny Turner

Oahu, Hawaii USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2007 2:26 pm    

Oops, ...I forgot to mention:

If someone is going to install a fabric in a case, DO NOT use petroleum based glues to do it. 26 years ago I ruined a Telecaster's finish in a drying / curing time rush (or so I thought) to build a case for it when I moved to Hawaii. I used an aerosol touline based contact glue to install a thin foam rubber lining under the guitar-specific fabric lining. I thought it had completely dried under heat fan forced air overnight; But here's what I had when I opened the case a couple of months later (click the hover-over Flash button to enlarge). Dummy Crying or Very sad . The glue had not cured and it's petroleum gasses got into the guitar's finish.

Please help support humanity:
http://www.redcross.org/en/aboutus

Al Szwarc

Metuchen, New Jersey, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2007 5:02 pm     Case

Hi: Yes, I have one of these cases. I like mine a lot. It doesn't have any odor that I noticed.
Very good case for the money. If you find a similar case locally, it will cost more. A lot more. al