The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New CD by West Coast Legend.......AL BRUNO
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2007 7:37 am    

I just received my copy of "Bear Country" a new instrumental CD by the West Coast's lengendary guitarist AL BRUNO. Al's been my hero for over 40 years and I know you'll enjoy this one. It can be ordered from his website at www.brunobearmusic.com

The CD not only spotlights the great guitar work of Al but Jay Dee Maness in on steel guitar and Byron Berline on fiddle, how cool is that?

The first cut is "C.C. Boogie which is a medium up tempo thing which Al nails and Jay Dee and Byron play some great solos.

Cut 2, is the old big band tune and Los Indios Trabajeros hit "Maria Elena". Al puts his own touch on this one using a nylon string guitar with some very nice moves of his own and a "different" bridge which I hadn't heard before but is really nice. Al did a lot of acoustic work on Merle Haggard recordings so this was no surprise to me.

Number three is the old tune "Good Old Mountain Dew" which is done in a way I've never heard before. Al does an accapella into (complete with bender licks) and then goes into a very jazzy/bluesy chorus or two before hitting bluegrass tempo with a solo by Byron B. Then Al goes into a Jerry Reed sounding solo but It's actually his style as I heard Al playing these licks and runs before anyone ever heard of Jerry Reed..........

Number four is the old Jerry Byrd tune "Steelin' the Blues" which he makes sound like it was actually a guitar tune. Jay Dee comes in on the first chorus followed by Al with some of his great signature stuff. Al plays a chorus or two with an "out of phase" sound which I'd have never thought of doing with this tune but it really works well. It has a very cool jazzy ending which tops it all off.....

Next is "Wildwood Flower". It starts off hot and up tempo and then goes into a (surprise) waltz beat. I'd never have thought of that but fit very well. This one has some of the "out of phase" tone as well and then ends with an uptempo riff..........

The next is a Bruno original called "I'll Cry With You" which is a pretty slow instrumental done on the acoustic guitar. I had the pleasure of playing this live in my living room with Al a year or so ago when he was in Virginia. I have a demo CD of this one that I'll treasure always........

Number seven is the title tune "Bear Country" which is a tune that just amazes me. I've heard this tune for many years and myself as well as many other SoCal pickers have tried to play it but none of us could ever do it right. I've watched Al play this one many times at the old Imperial Inn after hours. Al does the first verse, then Byron does a nice fiddle break followed by another verse & chorus by Al which has a hot twin guitar part and ends with another Bruno signature ending.........

The last cut is an old traditional tune from Canada (Al's birthplace) called "The French Song". It's the only vocal on the CD and Al does a nice job of it with some great fiddle by Byron B. The instrumental break starts off with Byron's fiddle and is followed by Jay Dee playing a "doubled" steel break. Jay Dee also does some sweet fills throughout the tune. Al comes back with the vocal in French (which was his first language) which is a really nice touch. I remember the old Lucille Starr recording of this song in French. During the first part of the French vocal, Al plays the fills and I can hear his trusty Bigsby Palm Pedal in there. Jay Dee follows Al on the last verse fills and they do the ending together.

All in all I know you'll enjoy this one as it's been in the works for many years and I'm glad it's finally out. Al was the "guitarist" for so many of us who came up in the LA music scene and probably the only one of us with no ememies. A great picker and a good friend!.........JH in Va.

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2007 8:01 am    

On my way to order it now--Al is awesome and a very cool guy--and Jay Dee as a bonus Smile...

Dayna Wills

Sacramento, CA (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2007 8:47 am    

I am going to order this CD too. I met AL when he was co-owner of the Blue Bayou in SoCal. Someone told me about him and I went to the club and sat in. I needed a job, which he gave me. You're right, the man has no enemies. I saw him in 2001 at the SGC in Dallas. Love that guy.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2007 11:37 am    

I forgot to mention the other musicians who are all top notch, they are:

Jerry Cole.....rhythm guitar & 6 string bass. Jerry's one fine player and was the staff guitarist on the old Sonny & Cher & later the Cher TV Shows and was working with Nancy Sinatra the last time I talked to him.

Brad Felton.....5 string banjo, Brad's got a great style and tone.

Ray Pohlman.....Bass, he lays down a solid foundation for sure.

Jeff Morrow...Keyboard

John White....Drums

The CD was recorded at the Barn in Las Vegas, NV where Al currently lives........JH in Va.

Richard Bass

Sabang Beach, Philippines
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2007 11:50 pm    

Just received the CD in the mail today, Everything Jerry said and more. What a wonderful album by a player who has largely been overlooked. Wonderful taste and tone. Truly a great album. I highly recommend it.
Richard
PS shipped on Fri and I got it today Mon. Fast shipping.

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2007 5:13 am    

I got mine the other day, too. Can't add much more than is aready said--it's great! I also really enjoyed seeing Al in Dallas this year.

Thanks for the quick shipping!

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2007 7:47 am    

Thanks y'all for the kudos on Al's CD. I wish some of you guys could have known him and heard him play in the sixties & seventies. He was a monster player then and even greater now. At the old Imperial Inn afterhours show & jam in SoCal, Al was the staff guitarist every Friday & Saturday for years. Any night you'd go in there around 3:00 AM you'd find about half of the lead guitar players in LA trying to see if they could get the latest Bruno lick. You'd also find road guitarists who happened to be in town watching Al. That's where I met Jerry Reid who was playing with Mel Tillis at the time and a bunch of others. A good friend of mine (Jimmy Lester) who was a fine player used to go there with me a lot and we'd both watch Al and then compare notes to see if one of us missed something the other didn't. A lot of times it was "Hell, I ain't even gonna try that!" Al was/is one player who can burn up the neck in a live performance and then go to the studio and do some of the most tasteful fills and solos you've ever heard!.... JH in Va.

Dale Bennett

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2007 12:36 pm    

Hi Jerry, glad you posted this I was going to do that but saw where you already had. Al sent me a copy about 3 0r 4 weeks ago and I've just about already worn it out. As you know, Al, Jay Dee, Archie Francis, Clyde Griffin and me worked a lot together in Ca. under the name of the Individuals, what a crew I enjoyed every minute of it. Anyway about 3 yrs ago all the guys came here to Okc to see me for a reunion so I booked a place for an afernoon jam session and filled the place. So i'm starting to work on a deal to do it again which Al said they would love to do. This time I'm gonna make a day of it, start with a show with the guys, then a jam and then a seminar, and yes I'm gonna try to include Byron Berline if I can get him. I will let you guys know in case you might be able to make it. Later, db

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2007 6:04 am    

Dale, if you get that set up let me know, I'd be able to make it as I'm retired now and can pretty much set my own schedule......JH in Va.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 7 May 2007 8:10 am    

Bump for AB....JH in Va.

Glenn Koehler

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2007 2:03 pm    

Great Cd, i got my copy from Al as soon as he had it out.

Glenn

Bobby Caldwell

St. Louis, Missouri, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2007 7:06 am    

Well!!!!! I am going order that CD pronto. Al is one of my favorite players. He is also one heck of a nice guy. Such a talent. Al and I go way back and have had lots of fun pickn' together. Al, Good luck with the Cd. Loveya pal, Bobby

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2007 10:45 am    

Bobby, I talked to Al on the phone the other day and he plans to be in St. Louis this year. I wish you guys could do some tandem guitar playing! I'd love to see that..........JH in Va.

Bobby Caldwell

St. Louis, Missouri, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2007 12:11 pm    

That's wonderful. I hope he makes it. We will play some twin guitars for sure. What fun. Bobby

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2007 3:20 pm    

Al being in St. Louis this year is gonna be a highlight for everyone there... at least those of us who know him and love him.

Al was the top dog in the LA clubs when I was coming up in the biz, as Jerry Hayes reminds us. I'd also like to mention the great and under-mentioned Johnny Davis. Johnny lives in AZ now but was also one of the hosses in Southern CA back in the 60's. On BOTH guitar AND steel.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2007 9:46 am    

Herb, Johnny's on the DVD that Mike Perlowin put together of Curley Chalker live. Also fellow Forumite Jim Bob Sedgwick is on bass guitar. It really shows Johnny's guitar skills and Curley seems to really appreciate them too...........JH in Va.

Last edited by Jerry Hayes on 25 Jun 2007 6:49 am; edited 1 time in total

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2007 10:40 am    

Jerry
Tell me about it! I've had the Chalker concert since it was on video. And Johnny played with me at the AZ steel show. He's a total hoss, monster, whatever you want to call him.

Then, 2 months later, Bruno played with me at the TSGA Jamboree.

Nice to get fond reminiscences from time to time.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2007 5:40 pm    

Herb, you're makin' me jealous! There ain't too many guitar monsters where I live.....JH in Va.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2007 5:46 pm    

Picture upload test...........JH

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2007 1:27 pm    

Here are some interesting pictures of Al......JH in Va.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2007 1:46 pm    

Whoa Nellie!! Them's are some photos, no lie!

Al with Conway, Al with Willie, and a great photo of the Tony Booth band... Larry Booth, Al Bruno, Tony, Jay Dee Maness, and Archie Francis... when they won Band of the Year (probably) at the ACWM convention. What a fantastic group! I used to see them all the time at the Palomino, circa 1970-71.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2007 11:25 am    

Herb, did you notice that he's playing the same guitar now as he did in the old Conway days. Maybe that's what it takes to get really good, find a good guitar and just stay with it. Also in that picture with Willie, Kris Kristofferson and Carl Perkins are there too!.JH in Va.

Last edited by Jerry Hayes on 7 Jul 2007 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2007 7:15 am    

Here's a couple more pictures, the first one is Al with Bobby Kingston in Las Vegas & the second of him with that old red 355 which by the way was given to Al by Hank Garland............JH in Va.

Ray Harrison

Tucson, Arizona, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2007 2:38 pm     Al Bruno

Jerry, you probably did the finest job of desription of Al's CD. Each and every song was described to the T. I've had the pleasure of Al's friendship and talent for a number of years and he is AWESOME. When I discussed doing my own CD which I just finished, Al was the first to volunteer to help in the production, playing and planning. I wouldn't have gotten it done without him. I love his work and always look forward to his visits. His lovely wife Sue keeps him somewhat mellow these days, thank goodness. Where does all that energy come from????
The CD is really great!!!!!
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars

Ray Harrison

Tucson, Arizona, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2007 2:44 pm     Al Bruno

Another classic photo

Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars