The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Trading Talent's
Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 14 May 2006 1:39 am    

Howdy all, I have an idea that might or might not fly but it's worth a few minutes typing on my end at least.

I have a few friends around the world and I do mean world in places like Japan, Rome, and even Texas it is a country right?? Well any way we all trade services between our small studios. My buddy in Japan stationed there in the army or at least close to Japan not sure exactly what base. Anyway he plays keyboards and bass and has a small 8 track yamaha studio and when he needs my particular style of guitar playing he exports his wav files out in stereo format and sends them to me and I put them in my computer and play guitar and some other stuff and send it back and he does the same for me only on keyboards and bass.

Now I have on friend in Indiana that has the same software that I have and we send Cakewalk Sonar files back and forth and do the same thing. Which is even better but we don't have to have the same equipment just digital machines and computers and the desire.

I just thought it might be fun and we would get to know each other better as well as probably have some nice projects to play for folks for everyone to see how good you play or bad :-)

The main rule would be no money to ever change hands because if we did that then sooner or later there would be problems trust me. I've been doing this with 8 or 9 friends for over 2 years now and it is always nice to go to the mail box and get a CD with new tracks to play on or sometimes we send them thru the net on a server called yousendit.com

So what do you guys think any interest if so well then good but if not well all I have is about 5 minutes invested in the typing and I'll go on doing it the way I am now.

Just think of some of the great players here on the forum that either have a small digital recorder or have access to one. Who knows on your next project you might have some of the best players in the world playing with you Smile

DennyFast

Springfield, Tn. USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2006 6:12 am    

Texas...a country??? It's big enough to be LOL. To me, this is a great way to get pickers you want on your recording with-out getting involved in studio time. I wished I knew some steel players who had a small PC recording setup, it sure would save time in making albums and a great way to meet other pickers!

Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 16 May 2006 10:03 am    

Yep Denny, that's my sentiment exactly. Denny and I are about to collaborate on some songs and I know it will be fun. I think this could possibly turn into a fun thing but if it doesn't well no harm no foul :-)

Bob

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 17 May 2006 6:52 am    

http://www.esession.com/site/

Not free, but if you want a 'heavy' on your record, here ya go... (steel players are under guitar, I saw Tommy Detamore, James Pennebaker, and Marc Muller...)

Tim Pillow

Arizona
Post  Posted 17 May 2006 2:50 pm    

I just started getting into recording with my laptop. I'm currently using a M-audio 410 with a M powered Protools, the for which I'm still waiting to come in the mail. I will be glad to find a group of people to share recording files with, once I figure out how to use these equipment. I'm having a hard figuring out how to record stereo with this setup. Do anyone out there know much about these mobile recording interfaces and how to hook this stuff up?

Tim

Larry Robertson

Denver, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2006 7:29 pm    

Bob, I've been doing computer recording for a few years on my own material in my home studio, and have been wondering about sending files to my buddies elsewhere to have them add their ideas, but have never done it yet. Mostly due to software compatibility issues. But, I am very interested in adding tracks to other folks music or having tracks added to mine. I play keys, guitar & steel so I've been doing all my tracks myself. Drawback=a lot of similar ideas, phrasing, etc. So I think it would be good to get fresh talent on projects. How does one accomplish adding new tracks onto existing ones, and still maintain the ability to edit or mix the new to the old? My band has been recording rehearsals and sending each other the mp3 files over the 'net for archiving our work, but we have not gotten down to recording track by track, just a stereo recording 'live' room mix and we don't get much presence on any instrument and can't re-mix. Anyway, I'm interested in your idea, and let me know if I can add anything for you or if you want to add to my stuff.

Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 25 May 2006 10:23 pm    

Hi Larry, the easiest way to acomplish this is to to export the tracks that you want someone to play on as stereo wav mix of all the tracks. Then the person that is going to play on them will import them as a stereo wav file then he will play along with them and export the tracks that he made only as stereo wav tracks (not the original wav trks you sent him). Then you can import those tracks back into your project and line them up and viola you have his new tracks now on your song. Does any of that make sense :-)

So the only requirement for every one is they need to be able to import and export 16 bit 44.1 wav files and even the most cheapest recorders usually can do that. I hope that makes sense.

Bob

Bart Maloney

Houston, Texas
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2006 2:21 pm    

Texas is the greatest country in the world. haha. I know plenty of people here who say that.

Buddy Lewis

Branson, MO
Post  Posted 27 May 2007 8:24 am     Home Recording

Hi guys,

I have a small recording studio at home and I make some decent albums that I sell via cdbaby.com and also get some decent airplay worldwide. I am always looking for musicians to add their style of picking to my songs. I do have a great steel player picking for me now and I play bass, drums, guitar. But, I do wish I had a great mandolin or fiddle player that could put their tracks to my songs. I do only classic country. If anyone out their wants to try to put down some tracks for my songs I will happily send the song to them (usually I just send the song with the complete rhythm track and vocals). To hear examples of my work go to buddylewismusic.com.

Happy pickin everyone!

Richard Bass

Sabang Beach, Philippines
Post  Posted 27 May 2007 8:32 am    

Big Bob, great idea. Now all I need to do is set up a small and I mean small digital recording studio. I'm in Fl right now but when I get home in July I'll give you a call and maybe you can help me get what I need to get started. Sounds like a great way to meet other pickers now that we don't have "Gabes" anymore. Smile
Richard

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 May 2007 6:06 pm    

is this some kind of a pyramid scam???

Bob Hempker

Goodlettsville, TN.
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2007 2:02 pm    

Big Bob,

Sounds like a terrific idea. Let me know what equipment I'd have to have to do this. I'm pretty electronically dumb. Hope everything's going okay with you.

Ron Randall

Dallas, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2007 5:48 pm    

sounds good to me. I am willing to give it a try.
I play pedal steel, lapsteel, dobro, bass, 6 string.
I have an OK studio. Yamaha 2816, various mics, pres, amps.

I would love to add to someone's songs.

Alan Coldiron

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2007 5:12 pm    

Don't know if you ever need a bass player to get involved in some of this but I'm interested. I have a digital studio and play bass pretty well. I've backed a lot of players at shows and have done a lot of studio work in the past. I also played for Al Petty for a while. Could be fun!

Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2007 6:04 pm    

Bob, A lot of my last CD was done this way, except on my end. My dialup is so slow(28.Cool I can't do much on the computer. They did however send me the tracks on CD so I could do my part in my studio. I think this is the future of recording.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.

Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2007 6:03 am    

There have been plenty of times when I needed a piano player for some of my tracks. I'm in, when time permits.

Carter D-10 & Peavey Nashville 1000

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2007 1:33 pm    

Hey guys, we've had a lot of interest in this thing so let's get it going. I don't have any projects to send to anyone right now but will soon.

Who has a project that needs some lead guitar work done on it. Get it ready and send it to me and I'll start this ball rolling and when I get it done tell me who you want me to send it to so they can put steel on it and then that person can send it to the next guy to put piano on it and on and on even live drums.

I just thought because I started this thread the project could start with me. This first project could be just for fun.

So someone send me a stereo mix that needs a guitar.

Bob

Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2007 4:40 am    

Ok it looks like this things are going to get started. Buddy L. (I don't know if he wants his last name mentioned) is going to send me a song to put some 6 string on and when I get done I'll send it back to Buddy for him to either mix it or send it on to another forum member to put other parts on it.

Instruments like drums, fiddle, piano, bass and horns are needed on some of the projects so if you have the talent and want to participate just post within and let us know.

All you have to be able to do is have the capability of exporting and importing 16 bit stereo .wav files and then be able to import the wav files back into your project when you get the parts sent back to you.

Lets keep all of these projects 16 bit and 44.1 so that everyone can have fun. Some of us may not be capable of 24 bit and we don't want to exclude anyone. If 24 bit is a must then post that in your info about your needs in your post then only folks with 24 bit capability need to apply to help out. But like I said I'd like to keep everything 16 bit for now.

So lets get this thing going and have some fun. I'd like to do a complete CD to sell and have the profits go to the forum. Wouldn't you like to be a part of that. Also just think about it everyone will hear your playing so jump in.

Now I haven't asked B0b if it is ok to tdo a CD and then donate the profits to this forum but I will today. I don't no the ramifications of doing this so before we all get our hopes up let me checkit out.

Bob

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2007 12:00 pm     Please Reply in the Recording Section

Bob started a post about this topic in the Recording Section.

Here's the link:
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=997919#997919

Please reply there.

(An occasional BUMP to this thread is OK.)

Thanks - Joey

Buddy Lewis

Branson, MO
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2007 11:04 am     Royalties

I can foresee a problem with mechanical and performance royalties with selling any song that is not totally original.

Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2007 11:15 am    

Ok I talked to Bob and he ok'ed the project. So we have no problems there and Joey just gave his blessing to bump this once in a while and I'm sure he meant once in a while like maybe once a month. So let's not abuse his good will Smile

So now the rest is up to us whether this thing gets off the ground. I have to admit that it's not going to bust my bubble if it doesn't fly. I'm only doing this to try to have some fun and promote technology across this forum.

We have so much talent here its a shame to let it go untapped. As far as the royalty issues go Buddy if this thing gets to rolling it's a very easy fix to get access to rights to record and sell previously released material. When it gets there it will be taken care of so no worries.

So lets get the ball rolling. I'm not going to post here daily and beg folks to participate it will either fly or not. I haven't had any interest except the one afore mentioned. Thanks

Bob

Also thanks to Joey and Bob Smile

Alan Coldiron

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2007 1:04 pm    

Let me know if you need bass on anything. Sounds like fun!

Joey Ace

Post  Posted 19 Aug 2007 1:13 pm     I Intended to leave this open but...

Since I posted this request (above)
Quote:
Bob started a post about this topic in the Recording Section.

Here's the link:

Please reply there.

no one has replied there, only here.
Question

So I'm closing this. Please continue the discussion at

Bob,
I'll give this post a monthly bump, until you ask me not to, or we both forget. Good luck with the project.

Joey Ace

Post  Posted 13 Sep 2007 7:31 am    

Bump