The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Transitioning into the digital domain
Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2006 6:06 pm    

My trusty Mackie 8 buss mixer is in the shop. I haven't received the diagnosis yet, but, can't help wonder if I should plan on a sensible migration to a DAW or some computer based mixing. If a move is warranted I'd like to do it without compromising the rest of my studio investment.

I'm presently tracking to the Mackie MDR disc recorder (analog i/o) and mixing down to an Alesis Masterlink disc recorder.

The rest of my studio includes multiple channels of compression, Lexi reverbs/delays and a bunch of misc toys, all hardware based.

I'd typically track no more than 4-5 channels (4-5 mic pre's) at a time and a typical mix would incorporate 11-16 channels of audio, no midi.

I've got a PC in the studio that I could dedicate.

I'm faced with a confusing array of software, control surfaces, I/O. I'm not opposed to staying with an analog console either.

So...what's a rational way to approach the decision to replace the console or, is there a way to gradually incorporate the newer available technololgy?

Cheerfully awaiting any discussion. I doesn't hurt until I actually spend the money.

hp

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2007 10:59 am     Keep the Mackie

I think you'll find no matter what hardware/PC interface and Software you decide on, your Mackie 8 bus will be very useful. Many PC interfaces require some sort of mic preamp to work optimally.

Even if you invest in high end pres for vocal tracking or whatever, you'll still find the Mackie nice for drum mics etc. JMO...

Scott Swartz

St. Louis, MO
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2007 7:49 am    

The mixer will be nice for monitoring also, allowing you to set up a different monitor mix. Monitoring off the PC can have issues.

Really the PC software gives you snaphot recall and automation, as well as the opportunity to use tools like drum replacement, autotune (or much better Melodyne), extensive editing, etc. If you don't need these things moving to PC will just cost you a lot of time/money. A powerful enough computer, interface, plugins to replace your outboard will add up fast.

A middle ground is a digital mixer, I do all my recording on a HD24XR coupled to a Tascam DM24, then mix down to Wavelab on a PC. This might be a good way to transition, these can be used as control surfaces also.

If you want to track steel parts that you send to a different studio, you will need a simple DAW setup. For this I use Cubase SL3, an Mbox would be a likely even better choice. I also use the computer for VST instruments and a little MIDI.

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2007 12:57 pm    

Howard, I went through almost the same scenario when trying to decide to go D.A.W. or stay analog to digital.
You could keep/use almost all of your same signal paths if you went to something like a Digi 002 rack system, tracking analog in using your preamps and processors, and using all of the digital editing, etc. The 002 rack has enough ins/outs for you to be able to use your old outboard processing gear, with maybe a few instances of printing effects to a track to work around latency issues.
I'm currently using an 002 rack system with plenty of outboard mic pres, compressors, etc, and mixing down to a Masterlink through outboard EQ and compression, rather than mixing "in the box". Works great for me.
Another possiblity, replacing your Mackie with a Digital mixer like one of the Yamahas, or the Behringer Digital mixer.
I was [i]shocked[i/] at the performance to value bang for their Digital mixer when I A-B'd it with a lot of more expensive desks. Absolutely amazing how much functionality, and actually good sound, for under a grand. Full automation, flying faders, good metering, and even decent onboard effects. 16 busses too...

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2007 5:50 pm    

Thanks for the enlightenment. The Mackie 8 buss has a strange L/R buss issue that should not preclude continued use for tracking and monitoring.

The MDR has all analog i/o for now. I could install a used 8 ch i/o card and fly tracks over to a DAW for editing and back. I could also resort to final mixing on the DAW and pick up a dedicated control surface I suppose, or, go on the cheap and use the mouse.

What's the general consensus these days on ProTools LE vs the rest of the bunch. I'd initially like to ramp up quickly w/o much of a learning curve and duplicate my analog functionality. I could learn the rest of the bits/bytes at my leisure.

I suspect that I should be looking at software functionality and that'll drive any hardware decisions??

thanks

h

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Listowner Resoguit-L

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2007 11:05 am    

From being a relative newbie on D.A.W. I got up to speed on LE very quickly. I can really recommend the book "ProTools for Musicians" by John Keane, as it goes through setup/usage in terms of actual session strategy and work flow. Great book.
There are at least two companies now making small single-fader control surfaces that are probably all you'd need to mix/ record: http://www.frontierdesign.com/
http://www.presonus.com/pr_faderport.html
These street at less that $199.
I've often mix with a mouse with no problems, but I use a lot of automation and am actually "mixing" one or two tracks at a time. I find the ProTools software to be very flexible and intuitive that way. It's much easier to set up multiple busses, effects sends, and headphone mixes than with an analog board, to me.

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2007 11:15 am    

Thanks Mark...

The word from the shop is mildly optimistic..They "think" they have parts for an old rev. level board...

If not, well, I've got 2 projects on the back burner waiting for me.

I'll have to do something.

hp

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Listowner Resoguit-L