The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  BIAB 2007 Killer Drums
Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2006 2:12 pm    

Alright all of those that hated BIAB or refrained from buying it because of the midi drums need not hesitate to buy it any more.

PG music just released BIAB 2007 with real drums no more cheesy midi drums unless you want them they are still there but who would want to use them now.

The only caveat I see with them is being that they are just starting with them the number of patterns it ships with is limited. I already got my copy and it has a place in the real drum prefs to substitute midi drums for the real drums when a suitable real drum pattern is not found.

So I suspect for a few months some of the more obscure drum patterns will still have to fall back on midi patterns.

But with that being said I know PG Music is very good about developing new patterns very quickly oops there's another caveat they'll want to charge us for the new real drum patterns LOL! Oh well at least BIAB is getting better. That means a lot less external editing for me when I use BIAB because one of the biggest things I use to have to edit when I exported my song as a midi file was the drum sounds. I always replaced them with samples so depending on the quality of the "real drum samples" I might not have to do that any more.

So far what drum samples I've heard sound pretty good. I've listened to the jazz style drum samples as well as some of the brush samples and I'm pretty pleased so far although I haven't listened to any of the country drums yet we'll just have to wait and see.

Bob

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2006 2:46 pm    

sorry. i was off topic

[This message was edited by Bobby Lee on 02 December 2006 at 04:34 PM.]

Robert Leaman

Murphy, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2006 2:58 pm    

If you want to hear some amusing drum-like sounds, have some canned beans instead of canned drums. Bush Beans are the best.

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2006 9:30 pm    

Man, a person can go broke trying to keep up with the upgrades.
still, what choice ....

Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2006 10:57 pm    

I always thought the sound that Bush Beans made (after ingestion) were more like a trumpet or a bugle but I guess each to his own :0)

Bob

Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2006 11:39 pm    

I got on the PGmusic website last nite and previewed the new drum sounds and they did sound pretty good.

Howard Tate

Leesville, Louisiana, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2006 9:27 am    

Yes, we just finished beta testing and the real drums are a big improvement. There is another new feature that will really help a lot of people, now you can load a wave file and the program will give you the chords to it. I always thought that was impossible, but it works pretty well, as long as it doesn't have a lot of really complicated jazz chords. It will find the basic chords structures. During beta it had to be wav. files, but now I think it works with mp3 too. Loads of fun.

------------------
Howard

Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2006 8:23 pm    

How cool Howard, I didn't know you were a beta tester for BIAB. I would love to get in on that . I've had BIAB way back since version 2 or 3 I think and it was for Mac in the beginning I switched to Windows back a few years ago but of course I still love Mac.

Let us know when something good and new is about to happen. Shoot as much money as I have spent on BIAB I should be a share holder heheh! Not really as long as you upgrade every year it's not bad at all. I could have upgraded for 69.00 this year but I got the other 2 goodie packs what can I say I'm a junkie for BIAB that is :-)Keep us in the loop if they will let you.

Bob

Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2006 9:54 am    

Will this let you import loops?

------------------

Steve Stallings
The Songs

Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2006 10:46 pm    

Steve I know you can import .wav files so maybe you can.

Bob

Andy Sandoval

Post  Posted 7 Dec 2006 8:30 pm    

Not only wav. files but also mp3's and midi.

Howard Tate

Leesville, Louisiana, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2006 12:40 pm    

Steve, evidently you can. There is a thread about doing just that over on the PGMusic forum. I've never used loops and the discussion is a little deep for me.
Bob, usually they ask for volunteers on the biab forum just before Thanksgiving. You must be an experienced registered user, and a member of the forum which is free. There's a lot of good help and tips there. I'm probably the least expert tester they use, but I enjoy doing it.

------------------
Howard

[This message was edited by Howard Tate on 08 December 2006 at 12:46 PM.]

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2006 6:39 pm    

Last night I bought BIAB 2007 and ordered the disk. Instead of waiting for it I downloaded the files. At the last I was downloading 4 files at a time and left the computer running all night. When I got up at 6 am it was finished. Something like 250 MB.

I like the real drums, but the included pack was limited, so I ordered pack 2 which is supposed to have country stuff and waltzes. It's downloading now and says it takes an hour even at my DSL speed, 150 KB/sec.

Looking forward to playing with it, it makes the files sound way better.

KENNY KRUPNICK

Grove City,Ohio
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2006 7:22 pm    

Sounds like a lot of fun to be had.

Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2006 11:02 pm    

My CD's came Saturday and I only bought biab 2007 on line earlier late last week man that's a quick ride from Canada. It came regular 4th class mail. I was very impressed with the speed.

I'm enjoying the new features one of my favs is the importing a .wav file and it charting it out for you. It's very accurate so far.

Bob

wrong week of order it was late last week still fast though for 4th class.

[This message was edited by Bob Martin on 10 December 2006 at 11:03 PM.]

Bill Thomson

Ocean City, Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2006 8:54 am    

Somebody help me out here. I'm new to BIAB. I mean I haven't a clue how this thing works. Somebody out there help me out. I've been told this would be a great way to jam or practice. Sure, I understand it runs off my computer, but do I plug my computer into a set of speakers/amp so I can play along with it?

Andy Sandoval

Post  Posted 20 Dec 2006 9:52 am    

Bill, I have BIAB on my laptop so I run a cord from the headphone jack to the input on another amp. Not too bad, but I've also run it through my stereo system where you can really get a good sound. Also, some computers have a pretty decent sound system that works great too.

John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2006 5:53 am    

Here's a tip for those who wish to upgrade to 2007 with "real drums".
Have the order shipped, rather than download. I purchased the 2007 upgrade and chose to download. After downloading the upgrade (83mb) I learned that "real drums" must be downloaded separately. The 3 sets are composed of 9 files. Each file is ~198mb. With my DSL connection it will take ~ 8-9 hours to download "real drums".
I have decided to have pgmusic mail the upgrde to me.

Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2006 8:23 am    

Thanks for the heads up John.I was debating which way to go.PJ

John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2006 8:40 am    

Joe, I also learned that the 3 sets of "real drums", alone, occupies 3gb of hard drive space.. Now that's a lot of bites, my friend.
I just got off the phone with pgmusic. They agreed to change my order and mail the CDs for a shipping charge of $5. Looks like it will take a while, since the president gave the postal workers an extra day off (tue) for Gerald Fords funeral. Rolling Eyes

Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2006 5:37 pm    

Hey John, why not just start the download and go to bed and when you get up in the morning they would be there. By the way does your DSL connection always run at the speed you quoted me in the email? If it does I'd think about getting a new DSL company that is if you have that option. That seems to be pretty close to the bottom of the barrel as far as DSL speed goes. Of course you could be getting a real good deal and enjoying the extra speed for a good price.

I have Comcast that runs at 8 mb per second with a feature called speed boost and it took me about 20 minutes to download the whole package drums and all. But I get mine for free due to being retired from Comcast and my son works there now. I think it's around 55.00 if you have cable TV not sure though. We even get out home phone thru Comcast Cable line.

John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2007 4:00 am    

Bob, Are you sure you downloaded everything? The Real Drums are downloaded in 9 separate downloads (1a,1b,1c,2a,2b,2c,3a,3b,3c). I saw no way to download the megapak upgrade in one downloadable file.
I did download the biab07 upgrade file (83mb) in 20 minutes but that does not contain the Real Drums files. There are also other downloads for the megapak which must be downloaded separately.
I had to upgrade from "2005 and earlier" w/megapak.
As I remember, there are about 15 separate downloads in this pak.
The complete "real drums" consists of 3 sets,on 9 downloadable files or it is shipped on 3 CDs.
8mb/sec ??? At that speed, I would think you could start a download today and receive it yesterday. Shocked

Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2007 9:14 pm    

Hi John, yeah I downloaded everything. I had to go to the download page just like you did. I would no sooner click on one of the download links and it would be done so I'd go to the next.

I actually download lot's of stuff at 16 mb per sec thanks to Comcast's new speed boost technology. I didn't count how many links there were on the download page but it was full of links.

Comcast is getting ready to open up their pipe for an added cost and they are in the beta stages of seeing how it is going to work so that's why they call it speed boost.

I get comcast for free because that is where I worked when I got sick and had to retire so as part of the retirement package I got all of their services free for my life. Which I hope is a very long time LOL!

What will happen is they will throw in this speed boost for free for 6 or 8 months then they will take it away and offer an upgraded speed packages for a price increase and everyone will want to keep the fast download speeds so they'll make big bucks.

The way it is now you can get 6 mb down and 256 up for the regular price and for another 10 bucks you can get 8 mb down and 768 up and then when you are downloading big files the speed boost kicks in. Like I have said before I've seen it jump all the way up to 24 mb per sec for a few minutes. At that rate you can download a 800 mb CD in about 10 mins or so depending on the network traffic.

Well anyway good luck with the new version and let me know how you like the new drums.

Oh yes in answer to your question the way to have set it all to download and go to bed is use flashget to download all the links on that page and tell it where you wanted them saved. Like I said I didn't need to do that because it download so fast. But on many big downloads with 40 or 50 different links I use flashget. I just tell it to download all the links I have highlighted on the page and off it goes and stops when it's done.

John if I didn't know you better I would have thought you didn't believe my download speeds. The question marks behind the 8 mb per sec seemed to say what???? I just can't believe that Smile but as I said I know you better and I don't think you would ever question my truthfulness Smile Good Luck

Bob

John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2007 5:17 am    

Bob, I'm glad you DO know me that well. Your honesty is never in question. With the lack of ISP options out here in the sticks, my head spins just thinking about such fast connections. I takes me a while to check my email because the carrier pigeons sometimes land in the wrong box and I have to check the number on their legband. Laughing
I have already checked some of the new styles I got with the megapak upgrade. I now have style sets 00-66. I found one good 4/4 shuffle w/o piano .... "tantucker.sty".

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2008 9:39 pm    

Those that use the BIAB newest version (I just got)..

What type of Sound Card is optimum?

I need to find a good interface as well. I have been using my PODxt for high impedance inputs. Steel Guitar, and Elecrtic Guitar. Now I want to use mics to record vocals and acoustic instruments (low impedance)..

What is reasonaale to get?

Also, I am using Cakewalk software for multi-track recording.