The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What do I need for computer-based recording?
Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2006 1:52 am    

Haveing been without a recording device for a couple of years, I've decided to get going again. Iäve come to the conclusion that a software-based solution is probably the best way, but I haven't a clue what's good and what's not., or how much stuff I need to start out. Interfaces? Direct boxes? Preamps? FX plug-ins? Microphones?

I would appreciate recommendations on hardware and software, under the following conditions:

1. My new computer will be either a 24" iMac, or a MacPro model (both with Intel-based processors); absolutely no Windows PC.

2. I need to be able to mix down at least 16 individual tracks (20 or 24 would be better), and record at least two tracks at the same time.

3. I need to be able to connect a variety of sources - line outputs, condenser mics, dynamic mics, effects processors, headphones, etc.

4. I will be recording various acoustic and electric stringed instruments - direct or through miked amps - and vocals, maybe an electronic keyboard.

5. I want to be able to perform cut-and-paste edits on-screen - moving notes that are out of time etc; time-stretching/squeezing, minor out-of-tune correction for vocals, etc

6. I'd like software-based drums that can be played in real-time via the keyboard (I'm SO not into programming drums).

7. Already available hardware includes an Aphex guitar exciter stomp box, a Boss GT-8 multi-effect unit and a decent dynamic microphone.

Any suggestions for a "good-but-not-outrageously- expensive-stuff "shopping list?

------------------
´75 Emmons p/p D10 8+4, '72 AWH Custom D10 8+3, '06 Hybrid Zum SD10 4+5 , Peavey Nashville 1000

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2006 3:57 am    

Line 6 Tone Port UX 2, TonePort
The Best way to run DI, and mikes with phantom power, PLUS it has a LOT of other features.

E-Z drummer (A MUST) E-Z Drummer

Logic Audio Logic Express And I can help you with anything else you need.

------------------

[This message was edited by basilh on 10 December 2006 at 04:10 AM.]

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2006 5:30 am    

Thanks Basil! Those seem to do most of the required tricks at reasonable prices. My local Apple dealer has a good bundle offer with the Logic software (even the Pro version) - but they know less than I do about music software, so it's good to see endorsements from experienced users.

Darrell Owens

California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2006 9:17 pm    

Per,

I use a Mac G5 with Pro Tools and a digidesign interface. It is fully compatible with most pro studios in the event you need to take your project into a studio for added tracks, mixdown, etc.

Darrell Owens

Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2006 10:58 pm    

Hi Per, I normally hate to come in behind someone else's advice and say something different and I guess technically I'm not doing it now but I want to make sure that Darrell knows I'm not knocking his advice in any way Wow! what a lot of bs just to get to what I wanted to say hehe!

With the flexibility of todays software recorders and .wav files you don't have to be quite as concerned about using pro tools to record your tracks just to be compatible with all other studios in the world. Finally standards are making things easier to swap files.

Now with that being NOT so eloquently said what I want to get across to you is that no matter what software recorder you go with you can export it as a .wav file or many other forms and pro tool users can add to it and record along with it too just as if it were pro tools!

Now one more piece of advice about your new adventure. Don't worry so much about what software recorder app you buy as much as what plug-ins and other hardware peripherals you buy. Unless you buy a 200K board you will want to invest in some sort of good Mic pre's and probably a couple of good compressors unless you intend to use plugin compressors and if you do decide to use software plug-in compressors along with other killer plug-ins make sure you get a Hoss Cat (southern slang) for (as fast as a computer as you can afford with upgrade ability) of a processor in your computer so you don't run out of processing power.

Dog gonnit Per there are so many things I want to say to try to help you I'm getting a little finger cramped typing.

In all seriousness if you would ever want to call me and chat on the phone feel free to email me and I'll give you my number.

I have to warn you that I'm not the most knowledgeable person on this forum about recording nor am I an expert on just about any of the audio stuff but I do have a few experiences and have made my share of mistakes on buying software and plug-ins and outboard gear and the best I could tell you right now is don't get in a hurry and if you ever want to talk I'll be glad to let you know all the mistakes I've made down thru the years when setting up my small software studio.

There has never been a master cut here nor do I expect for there to be one cut here:-) but if I can help one person save 50 bucks I'll feel like I've done something good for the forum and that's my main goal here on this forum. Not to brag about my expertise or experience because just about everybody on here could out do me in most areas except!!!!!! ALL THE MISTAKES I'VE MADE!!!!! I'll bet ya I'm at the top of the heap in that area hehe!

Seriously call me sometime if you feel like it. I'd put my number in the post but I know bots can glean email addresses and heck by now they probably glean telephone numbers too and the last thing I need is some bloke calling me at 4 am wanting to sell me more recording software or wanting me to help them launder millions of dollars that's been painted black LOL!

I wish you good luck and let us here one of your recordings when you get up and going!

Bob

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2006 7:43 am    

Per, consider one thing, I can afford anything that I want to buy, and yet if I was asked to do your job as efficiently as possible, I'd go the way I suggested.
There is simply no need for anything more complex or expensive.
Basil
BTW Pro Tools midi integration is nowhere near as comprehensive as Logic.

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2006 8:46 am    

Per take a look at the Mark of the Unicorn interfaces.
They work great with Macs, many software options.

Focusrite makes some nice smaller interfaces also.

Logic and Digital Performer are the most complete production sets as packages.
But not cheap. But you can do most ANYTHING
with them in their basic or Pro versions.

There are a few other high end systems, like Nuendo,
but for me these two are tried and true apps.

A combination tube Mic/line pre amp and compressor with digitasl out to you interface would also be very useful.

Don't discount getting warm tube sound before
oing digital on at least your front of mix tracks.

Some light compression before digitising can
get you a better S/N without risking digital crash,
and won't negatively mess with your dynamic range much
if you're gentil.

[This message was edited by David L. Donald on 11 December 2006 at 08:55 AM.]

Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2006 2:22 pm    

Per...

Given your statement, I will offer my comments.

I would go with a MAC Pro.. The nicest and fastest you can afford with as much memory as you can afford.

I suggest Logic (Pro) as the software.
A new interface that is specifically designed for this is the Apogee Ensemble.

This is all pretty nice stuff that you will never have to say (Gee, I sure wish I would have gotten...)

Buy smart... Buy Once

------------------

Steve Stallings
The Songs

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2006 11:24 pm    

Thanks guys! I'll probably go down the Logic/MacPro route. As they say:if you buy something cheap, you'll feel good the moment you buy it, but if you buy something expensive, you'll feel good every time you use it...

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2006 4:07 am    

More questions. Having second thoughts...

...a 24" iMac with the fastest dual processor would be a lot more practical (and portable) for other uses, compared to the MacPro, and seems to offer roughly the same performance. From what I can find, there are fewer FireWire connections and no room for expansion cards in the iMac.

Will the iMac's available connections suffice (1 FW400, 1 FW800 + USB's) for connecting interfaces/preamps/plugins etc, or is the MacPro a must?

Or should I use the 2x1.8 GHz PowerPC G5 from my office instead, and get a new MacPro for work (it's a business expense either way)? I've heard that some recording software doesn't work with the PowerPC processors.

Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2006 9:54 am    

While the imac is more portable, you lose all of the expanded capabilities of the Macpro. Where will you be a year from now? Will you be saying, "Drat, if I'd just got the Macpro, I could drop in this expansion PCI card"?

Obviously, the imac is a great machine and will work just fine. It really depends on your goals. I have found thru long experience that buying more recording and upgrade capability is far better than buying less.

I generally build my own PC's. I have three in various states that I'm messing with. In spite of my extensive PC history, I am planning on going to the exact system I have suggested for you. In my opinion, there simply are no hardware interfaces for PC that compare with what Apogee is doing for the Mac. The "Ensemble" and "Symphony" are a paradigm shift in computer recording. I believe this is so fundamentally different as to change the way Pro Tools will be marketed and sold in the future. This represents a serious challenge to the DSP powered PTHD recording at a fraction of the cost. I expect the PC folks to lag behind somewhat but eventually offer similar options.

------------------

Steve Stallings
The Songs

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2006 10:54 pm    

Steve, I checked out the Apogee Ensemble. Looks like the perfect thing, but the price tag is way too far into pro territory. And knowing what little time I will be able to spend in my studio, that would be hard to justify even to myself. I'd rather settle for a simpler device and a decent double bass for the same money. Nice stuff, though!

------------------
´75 Emmons p/p D10 8+4, '72 AWH Custom D10 8+3, '06 Hybrid Zum SD10 4+5 , Peavey Nashville 1000

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2006 8:50 am    

Per, I am in complete agreement with Steve.
Apogee makes really fine A/D asnd D/A converters.
Logic is comprehensive,

and a big Mac is going to be more stable.
Plus you can, and will want to, add more monitor acerage ...
trust me you will make that decision sooner than you expect.