The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tascam DP-01FX/CD
Glyn Bone

Halifax.Nova Scotia. Canada * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2006 9:28 am    

I have just ordered one of these units to do a bit of `home type` recording and looking forward to being able to put my stuff on CDs...I used to have a Tascam porta-02 when I was ` down under` and had a lot of fun with that...who knows ? maybe I`ll even get good enough at the Steel to warrant putting something in here for a critique.....hey..stranger things have happened ya ken lmbo

If anyone out there has any familiarity with the DP-01 I would appreciate some feed back.

Have a good weekend all

Glyndwr

Carter SD10 4x5
Peavey NV 112
Hilton VP
BJS `Hughey` bar
now a DP-01FX/CD

life keeps gettin` gooder

Mark Lind-Hanson

Menlo Park, California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2007 12:16 pm    

I don't have the DP-01FX, but a plain old DP-01. I have owned it about three-quarters of a year now, and I like it. it actually is a good improvement over the porta one which I used to have- the transformation to digital is actually for the best, I think. I really have NO complaints about it- I had some shipping problems with the vendor I acquired it from (which required their sending me another copy of the machine) but that was due to shipping mishandling.
It's pretty intuitive, once you get the hang of the process of saving everything you do.
As yet I have not done any bounce-tracking, but for regular plain double tracking, it's nice. Get yourself a GOOD preamp and class-A microphone, and you will come up with some awesome quality fidelity. It also has good depth-of-field in the panning-pots. I like it. Hope it lasts me some years!
Hope you have fun with yours.

Glyn Bone

Halifax.Nova Scotia. Canada * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2007 11:34 am    

Hi Mark
Thanks for the response....still coming to grips with this unit but am happy with what i nutted out so far...am looking forward to buckling down to some decent recording this year.....heck...I might even become famous !!!! or maybe just notorious Shocked

I am in the dark about pre-amps and what they do, how they are used ect. ect. and I have a pretty decent Shure mic I have used with success with my old Porta -02....

Have a great year mon ami

Carter SD10 4x5 with Wallace TrueTone ( 18K ohms)
Peavey NV 112
Hilton Vol.Ped.
Brad Sarno 'Freeloader'
Boss/Roland SE-20 Space Echo
BJS `Hughey` bar
BJS 1" bar
Zookie thumbpicks
Dunlop and JN finger picks

Mark Lind-Hanson

Menlo Park, California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2007 12:17 pm    

Well -certain microphones are just completely useless without the "phantom power" option available on certain preamps. (they'll contain a caveat in the instructions that says something like "requires phantom power". I personally bought this Behringer preamp (2 of them, actually) and what they do along with the phantom power and a 12db cut option) is provide boost to the impedance/signal coming to the mic inputs. In the case of the models I have, they are particularly cool when it comes to adding guitar tracks, since they can be adjested for level and gain and "warmth"and have specific instrument selector switches (elec/acous guitar, bass, vocal, piano, etc). they really don't add much noise to your input channel, though I suppose anything you are going to add sounds a bit better if you have some sort of noise filters also, ahead of your input jacks. But I like the setup I have and it was also relatively inexpensive to pull off.