The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Laptop
Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2006 11:31 pm    

I didn't know whether to post this in here or in computers. I think it would have been fine in either but maybe folks will read it in here and go and get one if they are in need.

Anyway I had to get a new laptop a couple of weeks ago. My old Sony Vaio 5 yrs old bit the bullet by way of a large glass of ice tea knocked over in it from my rammy puppy.

I couldn't get it unplugged quick enough and it popped once and cracked twice and that was all she wrote.

Anyway I couldn't believe how much laptops have come down in 5 yrs and how fast they've become.

I got a Toshiba dual core 2.8 ghz I believe maybe 2.6 anyway pretty fast with a big old 120 gb hd and a gb of ram with room for 1 more with a pretty fast fsb. I got it at walmart and they were closing them out for the Christmas models with Core2 Duo processors which just barely beat the core duo in all tests and I do mean just barely.

The best thing about this laptop is it's upgradeable in the future with faster processors hard drives and ram. I could if I was crazy already go out and spend 400 bucks on a new core2 duo 3.4 processor with a fast fsb but I think I can wait.

My new laptop is already rocket fast with the 2 processors. I record with Sonar which takes advantage of the core duo or hyperthreading technology and it records every bit as fast as my main recording P-4 3.2 with 800 fsb. Actually I think it's even a little faster but it's hard to tell. I didn't buy it to record with but now that I know I can I have a couple of live club recording gigs in the cue.

Of course to do all this recording I had to buy an interface to do it with and I went with the M-Audio 1814 it was in my budget and I think it will work just fine.

Well if anyone needs a good fast laptop check with walmart and see if they have any left. They are a good deal.

Bob