The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  audio clicks
Tom Diemer

Defiance, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2006 6:33 pm    

Denny,

Not sure this will apply to your situation, but I'll toss this in here FWIW.

I never could get the clicks out of recorded audio with my Maudio card (pci, not usb) until I set up the computer in standard mode, disabling ACPI. Sharing interupts with the audio card just doesn't work. Updated drivers helped, but nothing fixed it totally until I made this change to Windows.

Warning: changing this on a running windows install could be risky, best done on a fresh (custom) install. Having said that, I've done it several times on different pc's and never have had a problem. Definately back up everything before attempting something like this. Also, making this change disables auto-poweroff from windows. Instead it takes you to a screen that says 'it's safe to turn off your computer'. Other than that, you don't notice much difference except the cooperation of your sound card's drivers.

Here is an article on Sweetwater music's forum that goes into some detail about this. Seems others have experienced this on USB interfaces. There are varying opinions about XP needing this change, but for me it didn't work until I did, and I also use an Intel chipset, and I've duplicated this problem and cure on several different PC's over the last couple of years, XP and Windows 2000.
http://www.sweetwater.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-1804.html

Standard mode allows interrupts to be set by the bios. ACPI lets windows share interupts between various hardware devices, and recording high quality audio needs a dedicated interupt for the sound card, otherwise you can get clicks and pops in the audio.

As to why you only notice the problem on vocals tracks, I'm not sure. Possibly it's just more noticable on those tracks?

[This message was edited by Tom Diemer on 04 October 2006 at 07:35 PM.]

Randy Cordle

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2006 7:07 pm    

I know this is late, but regardless of the peculularity of your problem with audio on computer, the first step to using a "general purpose" machine for audio use is to optimise it for audio. There are lots of resources on the web for this, but I'd recommend: http://www.audioforums.com/resources/windows-xp-optimization.html
This is an excellent optimization guide from the good folks at Sweetwater Music.
Good luck on a long term solution!

DennyFast

Springfield, Tn. USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2006 6:30 am    

Tom,I did all of the above including disabling ACPI with no success. I got new mic cables just for recording...their called Monster cables and it did improve the quility of sound but the clicks where still there. I was told that maybe a second internal HHD might solve the problem along with ram upgrade. I've got a 1GB of ram now and an external HHD for storing samples. Boy-o boy, this is getting complicated!!!

Dan Haas

Rootstown, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2006 6:47 am    

Jack wrote:

quote:
Maybe the internal sound card is causing this? There have been many reports of clicks/noise, etc on the Dell users fourm with various Dell models - especially the entry level systems such as the 2400.

Try disabling the Dell sound module (or sound card). Many Dell's have this option in the BIOS. Or make sure the M-Audio is set at the default mic/recording source in the Control Panel. There are options tabs for Sound and Voice, and recording source options within those panels.

This PC has an integrated sound card built on the mother board. Has this been disabled in the BIOS? This is not a seperate plugin card.
Just a thought...

------------------
MSA SideKick / Carter Starter

DennyFast

Springfield, Tn. USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2006 7:09 am    

Dan, I can't find where to disable the integated sound card in Bio's? there was onboard sound and I disabled that but there was no change

Dan Haas

Rootstown, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2006 7:18 am    

Denny,
It should be under this in the setup screen for the PC:
Integrated Devices (Legacy Select Options)

Entering the System Setup Program

1. Turn on (or restart) your computer.

2. When F2 = Setup, F12 = Boot Menu appears in the upper-right corner of the screen, press .

If you wait too long and the operating system logo appears, continue to wait until you see the Microsoft® Windows® desktop. Then shut down your computer and try again.

check this site out: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2400/en/sm_en/syssetup.htm

How did you disable the on board sound card?

Hope this helps

------------------
MSA SideKick / Carter Starter

Tom Diemer

Defiance, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2006 12:25 pm    

Denny,

As someone eluded to earlier, is there a cell phone or wireless phone closeby? Wireless internet? Could be getting rf into the mic itself, since you aren't having problems with other tracks.

If you use a dynamic mic instead of the condenser with phantom power turned off does anything change?

winston

Frankfort, Kentucky 40601
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2006 3:23 pm    

Another simple and probably stupid idea, do you have a click track or metranome running?
winston

[This message was edited by winston on 05 October 2006 at 04:25 PM.]

DennyFast

Springfield, Tn. USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2006 5:25 am    

Dan I disabled the onboard soundcard just the way you said in the above reply. Winston, no there ia no click trk or metranome running.It's not a steady click. I just updated the ram from 1GB to 2GB which is all the pc will handle, and windows won't boot now! It's in the shop as I write this! I'm beginnig to think that the ram issue just might be the problem but I'll have to wait until tonight and see. Let ya'all know what happenes again!!!! LOL

Chuck Fisher

Santa Cruz, California, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2006 7:51 pm    

just because the akg414 is a great mic doent mean it cant be damaged or having a dirt or water-vapor issue, try a different mic.

DennyFast

Springfield, Tn. USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2006 5:46 am    

Chuck! I have tried different mic's, and it didn't make a difference in the clicks. Like I said, the PC is at a tech's place and with any luck, the upgraded ram will take care of the clicks, I'm also adding a second HHD just for recording programs. But I have to get the PC back first!

DennyFast

Springfield, Tn. USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2006 8:47 am    

Thanks for all the idea's and help, but the pc didn't survive the ram upgrade! The tech's couldn't get it to boot up XP so that was that. I'm getting a new PC and I'm sure that should fix the audio clicks. Thanks again to all that helped.....Denny