The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Check out these "hands"
Steve Benzian

Burlingame, CA USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2006 11:19 pm    

I thought that some of you might enjoy seeing this example of great hands.

[This message was edited by Steve Benzian on 23 December 2006 at 11:23 PM.]

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2006 11:27 pm    

Very nice & smooth. Like the guitar also.

Billy Wilson

El Cerrito, California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2006 2:34 am    

Was the steel player also the singer? Who is he? Very fine indeed.

James Schroeder

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2006 6:01 am    

Jeff Newman backing Bob Browining

Jim

Michael Breid

Eureka Springs, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2006 7:00 am    

Is this an exerpt from one of Jeff's teaching DVD's? If so, which one? I'd like to have the whole DVD for my collection. Thanks-

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2006 7:27 am    

ok, who is it great playing is that a carter??

Steve Benzian

Burlingame, CA USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2006 7:29 am    

Correct about the player. Jeff recorded this for me at a Top Gun session I attended in 2001. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do. The guitar is a Carter.

[This message was edited by Steve Benzian on 24 December 2006 at 07:40 AM.]

Ron Kirby

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2006 8:39 am    

Very smooth Playing, AH ! sounds of wonderful Tones !!

Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2006 9:27 am    

That's exactly how a steel should sound, in my opinion. Beautiful tone, with tasteful runs and fills. This clip proves that you don't need a million pedals and levers to execute a fine style. E9 3+3 will keep you busy for several lifetimes.

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2006 10:09 am    

Steve-Thanks for playing this tape. It reminds us that Jeff Newman is the Master of the E9th .(Bless his Soul ). We miss him.

I was one of the lucky ones to spend a week with him in June 1977.... Thanks again and Merry Christms....al

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2006 2:54 pm    

I'd heard of Jeff Newman long before I ever began playing but this is the first time I've heard his playing. Beautiful! So much for the old addage, " those who can, do, and those who can't, teach".

James Cann

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2006 8:07 am    

Indeed. He could and did both, and who would disagree!

Charlie Moore

Deville, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2006 7:09 pm    

Very smooth nice touch,carter guitar nice tone...Charlie...

Steve Benzian

Burlingame, CA USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2006 7:01 am    

I forgot to mention that Jeff played on my guitar..... taking about 30 seconds to familiarize himself to the setup which is totally backwards from his.

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2006 11:30 am    

Steve-All the more fantastic, that he adjusted and played so smooth.

I think he always used the Day setup just the opposite of the Emmons setup. He said , the ankle is more flexible going that way , faster maybe too.
I agree that the ankle is more flexable in the Day setup and a more natural way to move.

But, I always wind up with the Emmons setup as most guitars are already that way, so go with the flowww.....Happy Steel Guitar New Year...al

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2006 11:46 am    

Superb,marvelous,moving and touching!
Thanks!

Ad Kersten

Beek en Donk, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2007 10:11 am    

Thanks Steve!

This video brought back memories of the times that I have met Jeff here in The Netherlands. Jeff was a great player and a great person indeed.

Ad

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2007 11:16 am     The song is in C, right?

Two things I noticed as I watched closely:

1. Some of the licks over the V chord (G7) are played at the 1st fret. This is why Jeff urged me in class to add the B lower lever to my guitar. There are a lot of 7th chord licks two frets lower than where you expect them.

2. Jeff sometimes starts a C chord phrase at the 11th fret, the A+F pedal position. A lot of people don't use that position nearly enough. Watching the video, it's obvious that A+F is as necessary as the A+B or the "pedals up" position if you want to get smooth transitions up and down the neck.

Watch how often he goes to the 5th, 7th and 11th frets. That's where the A+F positions are in the key of C.

Steve Benzian

Burlingame, CA USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2007 11:09 pm    

Answer to b0b’s question …yes the song is in C. Jeff was illustrating the use of the scales he teaches on that song. The scale is played on stings 8 and 5 or 5and 4. You can see him change between 5 and 8 and 4 and 5 if you watch closely. For the key of C the scale starts at fret one. Using strings 8 and 5 the first position is string 5 open and string 8 lowered a half at the first fret. The next is at fret 1 string 5 with the A pedal and 8 open. The third position is at fret 3 using 5A and 8 open. The next is 4th fret 5A and 8F (raised a half). The next is 6th fret 5A and 8F. Next is 8th fret 5A and 8 open. The next is 10th fret 5A and 8 open. Next is 11th fret 5A and 8F. Then start over and keep going up. You can substitute 8th fret 5 open and 8 lower a half for the 4th fret position as they are the same notes. The same goes for 6th fret AF…that could be 8th fret 5 open and 8 lowered a half.

String 5____1____1A__3A___4A___6A___8A___10A___11A___

String 8____1D___1____3____4F____6F___8____10____11F___

b0b noticed use of the first fret for the five chord…..that would be 5A and 8 open. A better voicing of the five chord than 3rd fret open. He also lowers the 5th string a half at fret one with 8 open…another good voicing of the five chord. At the first fret you could also play the 5th string open instead of lowering it. Jeff does that on the intro. A third option is at the zero fret with 5 open and 8F but Jeff frowned on playing at the zero fret.

I first saw Jeff Newman in Tom Bradshaw’s Steel Guitar Magazine. I started taking Jeff’s monthly lessons by mail in the early 70’s. Then I went to his school about the same time. I went back twice more…the last time for a C6 course taught by Jeff and Buddy Emmons around 1980. Then I went for a week in 2001 for a one on one session.

Being around Jeff was a real blast. He went the extra mile to make it fun and enjoyable. For example we all went to lunch every day, went to clubs at night to see players, went to Bradley’s Barn to record ourselves. Jeff arranged concerts at the school to hear great players. We went on field trips to various places including the Sho-Bud store in Nashville. But what struck me about Jeff is how much effort he put into to trying to teach us pedal steel. He was always sharing the things he had discovered with the students. He really wanted us to get better. Plus we got hang out with Fran Newman who is just a peach.

I began to appreciate him as a player when he performed at a Jam session in Sacramento, CA a few years ago. He just blew us away with a rendition of Steel Guitar Jubilee. I got to see him play first hand at my last session and was so impressed I wanted to share that with the Forum….thus this post.

Jeff Newman: great guy, great teacher and great player! Sure miss him.