The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  24 hour streaming now includes top players like:
Darryl Hattenhauer

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2006 8:56 am    

Bobbe,

I have to disagree with you a little bit about the Jerry Byrd tape. Yes, he was one of the greatest players of all time, and I believe people will still marvel at his playing as long as humans have ears (or until the earth ends, whichever comes first).

But that doesn't make him an infallible critic. (If you want infallible criticism, keep reading.) Most of Jerry's comments make perfectly good sense, especially about his general approach to playing.

My beef with him is that he is too subjective. He takes his personal response as if it is objective truth. He seems to think that if he likes something, it's good, and if he doesn't like something, it's bad.

When he says Howard plays without feeling, Jerry is really saying that Jerry doesn't feel it therefor the feeling isn't there. But we all know great musicians who reach some listeners with something while even their fans aren't moved by that particular cut.

When Jerry talks about tone, he seems to forget that people like a lot different tones.

When he criticizes Howard for playing a ballad up-tempo, he says that particular song was meant to be slow. But almost everybody plays up-tempo versions of slow songs, including this new kid named Bobbe something.

When Jerry says that Howard doesn't take his playing seriously, how does Jerry know? When did Jerry become a mind reader?

Maybe I'm just frustrated because I didn't get your newsletter this week. Did you send one out?

Your 'umble sarvent,

dh

------------------
"Drinking up the future, and living down the past"--unknown singer in Phoenix

[This message was edited by Darryl Hattenhauer on 28 January 2006 at 09:13 AM.]

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2006 10:44 am    

Darryl,
Yes, the news letters went out this week, And the subject matter was almost exactly what you have said in this post. Check your spam filter and your provider, you are missing some good things.

About Jerry, He actually knows (knew) Howard White very well and for over 55 years. They were incredible close friends and both played non-pedal steel guitar on the Opry through the fifties. There was no anomosity in Jerry's comments at all and Jerry never knew that anyone would ever hear this tape other than Howard. (If he'd have only known!)

Howard White was gracious enough to share it with me and the steel guitar community because he (Howard) felt that Jerry Byrd's comments could be very helpful to anyone that heard them. I do also. The remarks about the volume pedal pumping, over playing, and tempos were worth everything.

Jerry was a great music producer in Nashville as well as being one of the three most legendary players that ever lived. (I am the other two! Ha!)

As far as Jerry being a mind reader, he may have been, some folks would say so.

I knew Jerry for way longer than you'd ever believe, we argued over everything, I'm sure I wasn't one of his favorites, but I did hear he thought a lot of my CDs and playing, and to me, this was a lot more important than being liked by him! (Giggles)

I'm not defending Jerry, but what he says should be shared and heard by all, because of who he was, and how incredibly well he played, from '44 to '05.

Darryl, you are one of my favorite "posters" and you should be commended for your active participation in this forum. Your comments are always in line, intelligent and positive. I have given you this extraodinary long reply because you deserve a good reply. It also sounds like you may not really be real familiar with Jerry Byrd, brash, opinionated, arogant at times for sure, but he sure had the ability to back up what he had to say. Yep, he has made folks mad in the past, but I feel he got a good laugh out of that too! You didn't ask Jerry a question if you weren't ready for an honest answer!

An amazing charictor and amazing player with a great legendary career in steel guitar, for sure.

Now lets get you fixed up where you can get my news letters Darryl,

Your buddy,
Bobbe Seymour

Bobbe

[This message was edited by BobbeSeymour on 28 January 2006 at 10:52 AM.]

Darryl Hattenhauer

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2006 4:54 pm    

[This message was edited by Darryl Hattenhauer on 03 February 2006 at 10:12 PM.]

Darryl Hattenhauer

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2006 10:07 pm    

x

[This message was edited by Darryl Hattenhauer on 03 February 2006 at 10:14 PM.]

Darryl Hattenhauer

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2006 10:09 pm    

Only one more gripe, and then I'll shut up. Until the next time.

Jerry says that if you have a rhythm player, you don't need a drummer, and he implies that if you have a rhythm player, you shouldn't have a drummer.

Conversely, or obversely, or reversely, world-famous Darryl Hattenhauer wonders why bands with a drummer often have a rhythm player who is inaudible. Many times I've seen a rock, country, or blues band with not just one but two inaudible strum mongers. I guess a lead singer has an excuse for playing as if he's holding an unplugged stage prop, but why haul around another guy who does the same thing? And the only way you know what these alleged rhythm players are playing is by seeing them. They just keep pouring out eighth notes. No quarters, no rests. I'm glad I can't hear them, because rhythm has to have some variation.

So that's my question above: somebody explain to me why you'd pay to have a silent rhythm player?

------------------
"Drinking up the future, and living down the past"--unknown singer in Phoeni

[This message was edited by Darryl Hattenhauer on 03 February 2006 at 10:16 PM.]

Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 8 Feb 2006 5:36 pm    

Darryl, boy, you have really asked a question here.
Seems like no one wants to answer it either.

The world that Jerry Byrd was refering to and what is happening TODAY in music is quite a different kind of animal.

Jerry's theory is that for beautiful steel guitar music to be heard and enjoyed,(like fine wine) for what it is or was doesn't need 38 supporting musicians (and four drummers Ha!) to make the steel sound better.
He is saying that the steel is a total sound unto itself without any more than just a rhythm player to lay down a light foundation.

Bands today think they need three Telecasters in a volume contest, 16 microphones on the drums, a bass player with four Duel Showman Death Master amps and a keyboard player with four Japanese keyboards all going through the PA system. Complete with a full monitor system.

Sorry, steel doesn't need this to be enjoyed.

As far as rhythm players that can't be heard because of the drums and screaming telecasters? I don't know Darryl, I'm with you on that one. Why have it,,,,,,,,,

Darryl Hattenhauer

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2006 4:19 pm    

Now Bobbe, do you think there's really somebody out there whacky enough to have four drummers?

Next thing you know, there'll be a steel CD with a middle eastern tune, and one of the session musicians will be playing a Stromberg. Though I must admit, that would be a great CD. I'm glad I thought of it.

Mike McBride

Indiana
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2006 9:56 pm    

Is the link correct?

(mms://radio.tnweb.com/steelguitar)
My computer gives me a message stating:

"mms is not a registered protocol."

Any suggestions? (keep it clean...this is a family show)

[This message was edited by Mike McBride on 17 February 2006 at 09:58 PM.]

Richard Mitcham

Ocklawaha, Florida
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2006 9:00 am    

Bobbe, you do a nice job playing the Chet style finger pickin. I was wondering, have you ever recorded with Chet? Or maybe a Bobbe, Chet & Les paul hidden somewhere?

Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 27 Feb 2006 6:38 pm    

Yes, Chet hired me on several sessions in the '70s and '80s, but we never recorded any instrumentals that were released.
I did some Charley Rich, Anita Kerr and some other sessions I can't remember the artists names.
Bobbe

Darryl Hattenhauer

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2006 10:54 pm    

Before she left Tennessee for Hollyweird, Anita Kerr was involved in some of my favorite vocal arrangements of all time.

She was behind so many different recordings. She's one of those people you hear on the radio all the time but don't know it's her.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2006 12:24 am    

Bobbe (or anybody):

On KBOB, Radio Free Seymour, steelguitar.network, there is a steel with banjo cut. Do you recall offhand what it's from?

dh

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2006 10:33 am    

Darryl-I just latched on to this post. very interesting. Bobbe is tops in my book and his radio show has so much good steel in it.

About your question about my Vega D8 console.
It was a beautiful Birdseye maple, had 4 chroime adjustable legs that you could screw in the guitar.

Had a volume and tone control on the right end of the guitar. The tone control had 3 clik stops, bass, medium and treble.
I would Switch it very quickly from low to high to get the Boowah brass section sound,While slapping the bar down , no picking.
It was very effective and the customers loved it, and so did the band leaders I played with.
This was around 1939-1940. I was drafted for WWII in 1942 and left the Vega with my sister and never touched a steel for 3 years.
When I got out in 1945, I took that Vega on the road and played some real nice places with it. It had a good tone. I always played it standing up for better showmanship.
I had Alvino Rey's D8 tuning on it but he had 9 and a low E.It was E6 on the bottom and E7-9 on the top. If you want a chart of the tunings I used, I'l email to you if you wish.
You got to remember , this was way before Speedy West came on the scene with his great innovative playing.

Well, you asked about the Vega and I hope I didnt bore anyone and tell you all too much...al

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/

Darryl Hattenhauer

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2006 5:07 pm    

Al,

Here's an example of better late than never.

Your post is a real education. Maybe you could post that info elsewhere at this site where more people would see it. I think a lot of people would be fascinated about it. The three-tone selector and boo-wah technique are all new to me.

I'd like to get the tuning, but I think others would like to see it posted here.

dh

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2006 11:55 pm    

Darryl, you say
Quote:
When Jerry says that Howard doesn't take his playing seriously, how does Jerry know? When did Jerry become a mind reader?

Any competent player SHOULD be able to 'Get into the Mind' of another performer, albeit only partially with some of us.(I am counting myself in this particular instance as qualifying.)
The art of 'Back-up' is exactly that, and as for Jerry being able to know the mindset of another player just by listening to him, not only is it probable, but it's a certainty, given the quantity of sessions he did as a sideman.
Jerry Byrd has commented on players submitted tapes for years, some of these tapes have been sent to him by top echelon players looking to improve a certain aspect of their capabilities.. If Jerry's ability to understand their technique and feel was in any doubt, let it not be.
He 'Pulled no Punches' and stood by HIS ideals regarding what HE saw as the way to do it.

Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 1 Apr 2006 6:41 pm    

Just keep in mind that Howard White and Jerry Byrd were incredible friends for over 60 years, Howard was one that stayed in touch with Jerry up to Jerry's last seconds on earth.
Jerry loved to pick on Howard and generally be critical of him over all.
Jerry also sent Lloyd Green similar "voice tapes" being critical of his playing.
Jerry never intended these tapes to be made public, however, I felt that there was a great amount of intelligent thought that would benifit many of us by hearing it.
Classic Jerry Byrd,

Bobbe
I never sent Jerry a tape, Ha! (wonder why)

Darryl Hattenhauer

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2006 9:03 pm    

Basil,

You've really taught me something here. I have no way of knowing what great players know. I've always thought of them as having miraculous powers. so why couldn't they also have more insight into another's playing than I could even imagine?

Thank you for the positive criticism. It's another good example of why I like this forum.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2006 9:31 am    

Is everybody getting KBOB, Radio Free Hendersonville, today? It's not playing for me.

[This message was edited by Darryl Hattenhauer on 30 April 2006 at 04:07 PM.]

Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 30 Apr 2006 6:49 pm    

Darryl, this will be up and running tomorrow, we are about to do some new songs here, Buddy, Jimmy, Maurice, Doug, and some famous guys also!
Hang loose, it's a commin' back!

Bobbe Seymour

Darryl Hattenhauer

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2006 9:13 pm    

Thanks, Bobbe. I was thinking my computer was broke.

It will be great to hear some Big names. I guess those other guys must be Buddy Greco, Jimmy Durante, Maurice Chevalier, and Douglas MacArthur.

Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 1 May 2006 6:03 am    

You sure have some big names there, yep, that's of whom I am spaketh.

Ha! Bobbe

Howard Tate

Leesville, Louisiana, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 1 May 2006 6:44 am    

It just came back on, now I can quit worrying and just listen. By the way, Fed Ex was supposed to deliver the N112 I ordered from you last week, and they didn't show up when they said they would. When you see the Fed ex guy I want you to smack him for me. I sure like the music on your station, and if you ever want to interview me just send a first class plane ticket and I'll do it for free.

------------------
Howard

Jennings Ward

Edgewater, Florida, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 1 May 2006 4:10 pm    

BOBBE, SORRY I AM SO LATE GETTING BACK TO YOU,
ABOUT HOW TO KEEP AN OLD LADY HAPPY.
SERIOUSLY, I TAKE MY QUIE, FROM AN OLD COUNTRY SONG,, QUOTE,,," TELL HER LIES AND FEED HER CANDY" CANT REMEMBER WHO DID IT, BUT IT HAS WORKED FOR ME FOR YEARS AND AGO...THANKS PAL FOR THE MUSIC, I PLAY IT FOR HRS, TRYING TO GET WELL FRO H.P. YOUR BUDDY,
JENNINGS,,, U PK;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
P.S. DARYL, DID YOU EVER KNOW ANYONE THAT COULD PLAY "WILDWOOD FLOWER " ON THE DRUMS??
I DONT.....JW U PK;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

------------------
EMMONS D10 10-10 profex 2 deltafex ne1000 pv1000, pv 31 bd eq, +

Darryl Hattenhauer

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2006 4:44 pm    

Jennings,

I've been trying to come up with a smart alec reply, but I can't.