The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bobbygarrett.com
Rick Garrett

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2006 4:54 pm    

I would like to announce the "near" completion of a web page in loving tribute to my dad, Bobby Garrett. The web address is www.bobbygarrett.com

The site is still a work in progress and hopefully will be under construction for many years to come. I would be honored to have friends and fans of my dad stop by and sign the guest book. There are a good many great old pictures from country music's past that you can enjoy and some of my dad's music there. We will gladly accept any pictures you all have to share as well as mp3 examples of his music. If you have anything to share just email me at rickgarrett@cox-internet.com

Thanks much and enjoy!

Rick
P.S. Comments and recomendations for the web page should be directed to the Steel on the Web forum.

Billy Helms

Sugar Land, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2006 5:32 pm    

Thanks for a great web site
Bill Helms

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2006 5:57 pm    

Rick
It was my pleasure to sign your dad's guest page.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to do this. A finer human being is difficult to find as well as a great steel player. He is missed by all who knew him.

Thank you Rick.

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 19 March 2006 at 05:59 PM.]

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2006 6:21 pm    

Those of you who haven't,please check out Bobby Garrett's web page. It is truly a labor of love.

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 19 March 2006 at 06:40 PM.]

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2006 8:00 pm    

Great site!
Jim

Billy Wilson

El Cerrito, California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2006 11:04 pm    

Those photos just kill me, but excuse me...
those sound clips?....... They are insultingly great. The level of musicianship there is staggering!! I never heard those beore. Thanks so much.

Rick Garrett

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2006 4:58 am    

Thanks to all who have stopped by and signed our guest book. More pictures and sound clips of my dad's playing coming soon.

Rick

Tom Harris

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2006 5:59 am    

Rick,,what an awesome web-site,,I have the album that "Hank Thompson" (my favoriate country artist)recorded live at the "Golden Nuggett",and Bobby was playing steel with Hank,,alone with Bob White,,Plus,,I remember Leo Jackson,when he lived in Meridian Miss,,at the time I lived 25 miles south of Meridian,I remember Ole Leo comning back to Meridian with Jim Reeves,they played at the Shriners Temple,my friend and I talked to Leo while on break,i was wondering if Bobby was with Jim at that time(as I didnt know many steel players at the time)this was in 1954 or 55,it was the Jimmy Rogers Memorial day,my friend who worked with "Fender Guitar" at that time was a close friend of Leo's,,Rick,,let me say,,,your dad was an awsome steel man,I loved his style,especially when he played with Ole Hank...
Tom Harris

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2006 7:45 am    

Loved the site Rick!!!.. What a wonderful tribute....great photos and astounding steel playing by your dad.

I only became aware of his playing through this Forum over the past few years, and boy was I missing out!

Now,like most everyone else on the forum,I now know he played at a level that only a tiny handful of players achieve.
Just a terrific site... Now ALL steel players can get a taste of his rare ability.... thanks Rick ... bob

Jody Cameron

Angleton, TX,, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2006 8:21 am    

Rick, this is a very cool site! I enjoyed it so much, looking at the pics of your Dad and Jim Reeves and Buddy Emmons. I did get to meet your Dad on a couple of occassions, and he was one of the nicest men I ever met. I wound up with a session 400 that had belonged to him once, and he called me and wanted it back because he liked the sound of it so much. He had a brand new Nashville 400 shipped to me in trade and I sent him the session back. We were both happy. JC

Chuck S. Lettes

Denver, Colorado
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2006 10:09 am    

Hello Rick,
What a great tribute to Bobby, one of my favorite steel guitarists. I love the sound clips.
Chuck

Al Miller

Waxahachie Texas
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2006 10:42 am    

Hey Rick
Great Site Hoss :0 your dad was one of the great steel pickers of our time ..
would there Be any Video footage of him playing"STEEL GUITAR BREAKDOWN" I would love to see what his right hand is doing on that tune .. even the left hand stuff would be a lesson in how its down ,
A BIG GARRETT FAN
Boo Miller

David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2006 11:42 am    

Hi Rick,
Great sight!!!!!!!!!! I'm enjoying it a lot!!!!!

Marlin Smoot

Kansas
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2006 12:38 pm    

Rick,
Awesome site, loved the music and photos.
You're dad was a great player.
You know, a guy would have to be a great player to have Buddy Emmons play 6 string guitar behind him!! And the bands he was in were some of the coolest on the planet.

I loved looking at the "vintage" amps and guitars, you just know they were getting a killer tone.

Thanks for sharing.

Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2006 7:18 pm    

Hi Rick. Great work on the site. It brought tears to my eyes just thinking of Bobby's career. The pictures are great. It was a pleasure to sign the book. I could have told some more interesting, and funny stories, but this is a site for young and old.Jody.

Terry Bethel

Hollister, Missouri (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2006 8:17 pm    

Rick,
Thanks for the great site. It was time for someone to do this and I am glad it was you.

Terry

Rick Garrett

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2006 4:18 am    

Thanks to all of you for stopping by my dad's tribute site. Each one of you are helping me honor a man who really deserves it. So many of you sent pictures and I will forever be in debt to yall for that. I plan on adding a bio of his career very soon there and more pictures to come as well as more mp3's of his music. The site is kinda small right now but with the good Lord and Nina's help it won't be small long. Thanks again to each of you.

Rick

Rick Garrett

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2006 12:03 pm    

Bump please

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2006 3:49 pm    

How did Bobby learn so many different licks and runs? He seems to have hundreds of differents sounds and chords. What a great arranger and showman. At the same as being a great solist he is a great backup artist and adds a lot to the appeal of the singer's performance. One of the all time greats for sure.

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Rick Garrett

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2006 6:26 pm    

Well Greg, he started out when he was just a kid of about 11 or so and by the time he was 14 he was playing professionally with Jim Reeves. I guess all that time just doing it is one thing that helped tremendously. The other thing must have been God given talent.

Rick

frank rogers

usa
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2006 6:54 pm    

Rick, thanks so much for the wonderful website! Bobby Garret's playing is still as innovative and exciting as it was when I first heard it 45, or so, years ago. Thanks again for this tribute to such a wonderful,gifted, and influential artist.

Rick Garrett

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2006 5:08 pm    

Bump please

Jimmie Brown

Fayetteville, NC, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2006 11:28 am    

Rick, As you already know your dad was one of my favorites of all time and i still enjoy his music. He had a very unique style and was great on the single string picking.
the web site is great and i hope you continue building on it.Thanks for keeping his memory and his great music alive.I hope all of you that have not read Rick's book to pick up a copy. You will enjoy as much as i did.

Jimmie

------------------

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2006 11:59 am    

Rick-You have done a very good job setting up the website for you Dad, Bobby.

AS Frank Rogers said, he was a very innovative and exciting player, Even way back in the good old days.

Thanks for allowing me to comment on the guest page. Those Music clips are great.....al

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/

Roy Thomson

Wolfville, Nova Scotia,Canada
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2006 12:36 pm    

Congratulations on the site for your dad Rick. Great job!
The sound files do not open for me however.
What format are they in?
Many thanks.
Roy

------------------
http://www.clictab.com/RoyT/Roy_Thomson_Steel_Courses.htm