The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal Steel Music Site
Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2005 10:00 am    

Time to do the bump.

Gary, I've got a great one by George Redmon's daughter that somebody's going to be sending you soon. It's a knockout.

Nic du Toit

Milnerton, Cape, South Africa
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2005 10:55 am    

Donny,
Quoting a select section of law is like qouting part of a verse from the Bible and then go and form a cult. Both need to be read in their entirity for it to make sense.
Anyway, I'll be submitting some stuff soon. Busy working on my next album.

------------------
Nic du Toit
1970 Rosewood P/P Emmons D10 Fatback 8x4
Peavey Session 500 unmodfied

My CD "Nightmare on Emmons Steel"

Click here to E-mail us.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2005 4:33 pm    

So change the title. Who's gonna notice?

Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2005 5:32 pm    

My thoughts are, "Who would even care."

Bobby, are you sure you don't want to contribute one or two?

------------------
Gary Shepherd

Carter D-10

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Gregg Thacker

Pasadena, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2005 9:29 pm    

Can you add the link to your website to the links area here on the Forum?

Gregg

------------------
If it don't have a Steel, it ain't real!

Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2005 1:24 pm    

Looks like there are 18 songs now. Who else wants to add one?

------------------
Gary Shepherd

Carter D-10

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2005 1:55 pm    

A bump for this most worthy of threads.

I hope everybody reading this will check out all the MP3s on Gary's site. (Of course I want everybody to check out mine, but there are a lot of good ones.)

I was particularly impressed with the stuff posted by Ernie Pollack and Walter Stettner.

Kiyoshi Osawa

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2005 3:47 pm    

I would like to invite everyone who has submitted music to Gary's site to let me know if they would like to have any of their tunes featured on my Steel guitar podcast.

I've already issued an open invitation to anybody who wants to submit music to my show directly by sending tracks to:

psgu12@gmail.com

but if anyone would rather just point me to their files at Gary's page, I would be more than happy to include them.

See:
http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum4/HTML/008892.html

for more info on the podcast.

(sorry for hijacking the post!)

------------------
Williams Keyless U12

Curt Langston

Post  Posted 10 Aug 2005 4:17 pm    

Donny and Gary, why not just have everyone who sends a tune in, send in a disclaimer of sorts. Something Like "Anyone may listen and/or record any of my material, at any time, for any reason. I give full and complete permission to use in any way."
Sined:___________

A little overkill, but that's alright!

------------------
I'd rather be opinionated, than apathetic!

Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2005 4:38 pm    

If you guys find any broken links, typos, etc on the site, let me know because I haven't been double checking it. The players have been letting know about broken links on their own songs but there could be some I don't know about.

Also, school is back in session all day now so I'll have less time to work on this. So if you send me something, don't be surprised (read as 'angry') if it takes me a few days to get to it.

Thanks for all the submissions so far. If you want to support the project, you can do that on my web site at www.16tracks.com but it's in no way required. I enjoy hearing all the different styles.

------------------
Gary Shepherd

Carter D-10

www.16tracks.com

Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2005 4:09 am    

31 Songs and counting.

If I missed anyone who's sent a song, let me know. Also, if you notice typos or broken links, please report those.

------------------
Gary Shepherd

Carter D-10

www.16tracks.com

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2005 1:51 pm    

The list is growing....
Are vocals aloud? I mean, allowed?

Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2005 7:13 pm    

There are a couple of tunes on there with vocals. I suppose as long as it has pedal steel in it. I think we should at least expect a pedal steel intro, outro or solo in the middle.
gs

------------------
Gary Shepherd

Carter D-10

www.16tracks.com

Ray Riley

Des Moines, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2005 10:26 pm    

Great Idea, Thanks Gary

------------------
Sho-Bud S-12 and a brand new N112

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2005 7:28 am    

Moved to new Forum section: 'Steel on the Web'

------------------
Bobby Lee
-b0b- quasar@b0b.com
System Administrator
My Blog

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2005 5:47 am    

Gary,
I've sent a couple of snippets via email.
They're very short duration (30 seconds), cos my email server kept timing out.
R B

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2005 1:32 am    

Gary,
I've added the rest of the tune via email.

It's a bit rough in places (my good friend Burt Richards played the piano parts, and he ain't the best pianist in the world), but it's the only tune I've got available at the moment.

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2005 4:28 pm    

The silence is deafening.

I guess that I'm useless at playing steel, therefore I won't trouble you again.

Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2005 4:40 pm    

I just haven't had a chance to do anything with the site during the last week or so. School has started, I had a court date, my wife had surgery, 3 kids have all been sick... You know, all the usual stuff.

But since you mentioned it, can you put all those mp3 files together as one? Or should I post all 7 parts of the same song as separate files?

------------------
Gary Shepherd

Carter D-10

www.16tracks.com

Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2005 4:41 pm    

By the way, you're not the only one who has tunes waiting to be uploaded. I have some from Jack Stoner and Delbert Aldredge to put on too.

------------------
Gary Shepherd

Carter D-10

www.16tracks.com

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2005 5:14 pm    

Gary,
On windows media player, the 7 parts merge together unnoticeably.
However, on reflection, this recording is dead in the water compared to the other luminaries on your site, so to save you any further embarassment, delete it if you think it's not worthy.
R B

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2005 2:00 am    

About 2 or 3 years back I did this on LIVE365 .com..the show was called Steel Guitar Hero's..and it featured tunes fom Steel players all around the US, Canada and Europe. Players from it seems everywhere sent in CD's, MP3's etc and the show had approx 150 tunes up there in the stream with room for probably another 100 or so.

The issue became very certain, royalites and copyrights. Not just for the artists but for the WRITERS of the songs.

IF the show was playing original self published music there would be no problem, but if the song list is music written and published by a reputable publisher then there may be trouble.

Live365 had to address this or get shut down.

Live365 now charges a fee for the broadcaster which now handles blanket publishing costs. ..which appears to be fine. Broadcasting without payng the fee's is now breaking federal law, this was something that was addressed about 2 or 3 years back specifically to put a lid on internet streaming.And it worked..all they needed was to get paid..and they did.

It's a great idea and I wish I had the time to do it again, but maintaining a couple hundred song files and adding new ones, keeping it fresh..became a pretty good chore.

The show I did only had the artsts names, not the song titles, and the show ran for approx 1 year. I shut it down during the big copyright fee controversay...I had plans to revive it but I guess I moved on.

Many many Forum members here sent in CD's and MP3's..thats what made the show..but also keep in mind I was contacted by a few to REMOVE the song files for personal reasons.

You really can't change the names of the songs, and you shouldn't place any tunes on the stream without permission from the artist , regardless of whether they wrote it or not.

I believe LIVE365 broadcasting starts at around $10/month for the broadcaster, it's free for the listener. This format they use is exceptional, I think it's the best streaming format out there.

The station stats were pretty goo too..If I recall there were abaout 40 to 50 weekly listners at an average of about 30 minutes each...Live365 rated the show about 3 steps higher than DUD....which in the scheme of things was not bad as there were hundreds of DUDS and aonly a very few more than 5 steps higher than dud.

I believe the LIVE365 broadcaster can now advertise on the show as well..and get paid for it..you can now charge and get paid real money !

but...
The most difficult task is still to keep the show fresh...

good luck..
t

[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 29 August 2005 at 03:10 AM.]

Kiyoshi Osawa

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2005 2:09 pm    

Tony,
(If I may hijack this post to discuss your point)
I never knew there was a steel channel on live365! I would have been all over that! anyway, Internet radio has been clearly established as a broadcasting medium subject to the same laws as regular radio.

Not so with podcasting... yet! so basically we should all enjoy sharing our home recordings with eachother while we can, and if it becomes a problem later on, we can deal with that as it occurs.

In anycase, too many people are downloading illegal copies of britney spears and madonna tracks for the powers that be to worry about some back catalog b side track from the 50's or whatever!

BTW, keep sending in those tracks for the podcast!

------------------
Williams Keyless U12

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2005 7:13 pm    

Richard If you want to post full files..send them to me.. I have over 50GIG avalable on my site.. just send me the CD and I'l post it hidden and e-mail you the link url..
Baz
Basil Henriques
Morgan & Thorne
286 Lichfield Road
Four Oaks
Sutton Coldfield
B74 2UG
West Midlands

[This message was edited by basilh on 30 August 2005 at 08:15 PM.]

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2005 12:12 pm    

Basil,
That's a very kind offer, thank you.
However, on reflection, the recording isn't good enough.
I made the recording, and several others, shortly after having chemotherapy and radiotherapy for a particularly nasty cancer.
I guess I was thinking that I wouldn't be around much longer, and wanted to leave something for posterity.
Consequently, some of my recordings were distinctly 'ropey', and not up to my usual standard pre cancer.
R B