The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Live Chat Steel Site
Ray Walker

Smithfield, NC, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2005 9:08 am    

I would like to invite all Forum members to stop by and visit a new steel guitar chat site, and enjoy great CD quality steel music and chat either on microphone or by typing text with a lot of steel players and other great musicians. We will have regular radio type shows for steel guitar and "real time" chat between players. This is an exceptional site where you will have a lot of fun and hear a lot of great music. You can even have the opportunity to "play" your steel or play your CD's for the listeners. You must first "sign up" so go to www.sweetsouthernsounds.com . Do the sign up and you will need to receive a confirmation in your e-mail. If you have protection on your computer it may bump the confirmation e-mail to your junk mail folder and you will need to locate it there. This is a FREE site...just enjoy it and respect the fact that it is a family site. You will be happy you did so. THIS PART IS IMPORTANT SO I AM USING CAPS HERE. This Sunday at 5:00 eastern time there will be a tribute to Jerry Byrd. We will be featuring a lot of his songs/recordings and those who wish to participate with a few "war stories" are invited to do so. Jerry Byrd was and still is an important part of our steel guitar world and we thought that it would be fitting to give a little thanks back with this tribute. If you have trouble making things happen for you in here just click on the help and there will be folks happy to help you get started. Then just have fun. If you should have any questions I will be happy to help you out. E-mail me at rwalker5@nc.rr.com. I look forward to seeing you there.

Ray Walker

Gere Mullican

LaVergne, Tennessee, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2005 12:45 pm    

Ray, I just tried to enter the room after I registered and it wouldn't work. I am probably doing something wrong. Thanks
Gere

------------------
GFI SD10, Peavey NV 112, Hilton Pedal & Boss DD-3 & PODxt

John Cook

Sarasota, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2005 12:57 pm    

Hey Ray, joined your very cool website today. What a sterling idea. jc

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2005 2:09 pm    

Y'all gotta check this out
it works real good
great sounds & good folks !
Thanx Ray

[This message was edited by CrowBear Schmitt on 12 April 2005 at 03:10 PM.]

Ray Walker

Post  Posted 12 Apr 2005 2:56 pm    

Gere e-mail me and I will help you get in.
Folks the digital sound is nice CD quality and I just got out of the room and ran into a heap of folks from the forum. It's a great place to listen to great quality steel for free and meet not only steel players but a lot of song writers stop in and some other great musician who happen to like steel guitar as much as we do. I will try to have something going in there everynite but you folks can play your own stuff there as well and we are working on a jam session that you can participate in as well. Don't forget the Jerry Byrd tribute in there Sunday afternoon at 5:00 eastern time.

Bob Lawrence

Beaver Bank, Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2005 3:46 pm    

Ray,

I signed up. Now I have to dig out a mic.

Sam White

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2005 3:59 pm    

Hey Bud I try to sign up and it told me a Error acured. What do I do now.
Sam white

Sam White

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2005 4:00 pm    

Hey Bud I tryed to sign in and it told me a error acured.What do I do now.
Sam White

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2005 4:13 pm    

Ray,

Tried it out. I don't think my mike was working properly, as it seemed to be getting distortion. I think I need a new mike.

Joseph V. Sapp

eastern shore, Md.
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2005 12:40 am    

I was on last night and I gotta tell ya,,,super sight and some fine people. Everything worked fine and no trouble getting on. Thanks Ray. I'm sure this will be a nice hang-out for Steelers. God Bless

Joe

Ray Walker

Post  Posted 13 Apr 2005 3:02 am    

We had a pile of people in the room last night and what a great time had by all. The music is the best quality you will find and the fact that you can actually participate live and in real time is a lot of fun. One guy said last night that between the steel guitar forum and sweet southern sounds, he won't have any time to practice (hehe)Remember this is free to use. While you may get a chance to talk to our "featured" guests from time to time, the theme here is mostly to listen to some great steel guitar music and share some as well. I know that I for one could never give up my precious steel guitar forum, simply because it offers so much more in the way of advise as well as being a great source of PSG info. The Sweet Southern Sounds Steel Guitar Room is intended to be a really fun place to hang out and really talk with friends and meet a whole bunch of new ones. There are other rooms there that have some other great music in them and artists performing live so check them all out. While the web site itself is not new the Steel Guitar room is. There are no glitches in the program so if you have a problem getting on simply call the number on the sign up page and there will be someone who can help you out. Bill and Bob...while using a mic is fun, it is not necessary to communicate in real time. You can always do what I am doing here and that is type in the text. Everyone will see your message and you will be responded to in real time. Joe I must have missed you when I was on doing the show. Please come back...and call me sometime today so we can talk about something. Sam...call me and I will make sure you get through any problem areas. I will be doing a lot of shows (as many as I can) and you are all invited, but remember...I don't have to be there for you to have fun. If no one is in the room when you get there just hang out a bit and when someone comes in say hello and meet a new friend. Some of the best singers and songwriters in the world often stop in to chat as well as non steel playing musicians, who just happen to like steel guitar too. Please understand that this is new and I am still working on getting a schedule together that won't kill me (HA) I still build steel guitar seats for a living as well as cases and amplifier protectors so I have to make a living too. I will be announcing many events from time to time so if one is in your area, you can get the first hand scoop on it. Thanks again and remember it's free to go get signed up.
www.sweetsouthernsounds.com

Ray Walker
Walker Seats

Ray Walker

Post  Posted 13 Apr 2005 10:45 am    

It's 2:45 eastern time and the room is now operating...come on by

Ray

Fred Shannon

Rocking "S" Ranch, Comancheria, Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2005 7:44 pm    

Ray, just left the chat room. What a super site. We had music galore, the kind you like to listen to if you're 'country'. Jerry Brightman dropped by for an hour or so and answered several questions. This one is gonna' be a humdinger, I bet.

phred

------------------
"From Truth, Justice is Born"--Quanah Parker-1904

Ray Walker

Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 3:17 am    

There were a lot of familiar Faces in the room last night and we all had a great time. Yes Jerry Brightman was there and Randy Beavers showed up and we played a lot of his stuff as well. Some of the guys started sharing songs that they had from the past and what a great time that was. As time goes more folks will learn how easy it is to share songs and some really great stories. Dave Decker was in there last night and graced us all with some of his own live performances and what a great steel player he is. Graham showed up and after a couple tries he got it down on how to share some of the things he has tucked away and boy does he have some really good stuff to share. While I am not able to be in the room all the time just visit and enjoy it and respect the rules. Different moderators will be stopping by from time to time and can help you with any questions you may have, Chuck Campbell is a moderator and will be in there a lot. Thanks a lot for all the support on getting this thing going.

Ray Walker

Randy Beavers

Lebanon,TN 37090
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 3:44 am    

I spent some time in the room last night. This site is going to be big. Just another way for all of us to stay in touch with each other. But you also get to hear our kind of music. Great job on getting this up and running! Of course, I'm going to need to upgrade my computer. And this "crank up" isp is going to have to go.

Bob Lawrence

Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 5:45 am    

***** Warning: Stay away from that site it's addictive.

I loged in around 9 PM or so and didn't get away until around 230 AM. Plenty of fine music and it was It was a real treat to chat with guys such Jerry Brightman (about the new pedal steel guitar he designed, which will be available to dealers very soon) and Randy Beavers while they were playing cuts from their latest CD's. It's the future for steel lovers ... Cool!!

------------------

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 6:33 am    

I tried to get in several times to no avail. What am I doing wrong?

Mike

Chippy Wood

Elgin, Scotland
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 8:06 am    

Got in ok, great site looking forward to some good times on there.

------------------
Ron (Chippy) Wood
Emmons D10
Emmons D12

Ray Walker

Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 8:57 am    

I am glad everyone is having a great time there and I am sure there will be many good times to come. This chat room was all Boo Miller's idea and he alone should take credit for it. Unfortunately due to a conflicting schedule I will be away for a while...The Jerry Byrd tribute can still take place however, just bring along all of the material you have and share it live.

Now, have a great time

Ray Walker

Kiyoshi Osawa

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 10:58 am    

I was unable to enter the steel chat section using my mac with OSX and the safari browser. I was also unable to enter using a Win XP computer with the Firefox browser.

------------------
Kiyoshi
------

Al Miller

Waxahachie Texas
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 11:55 am    

Hey Guys /Gals

Ray walker is the Man in charge of this chat room .. yes i did turn Ray on to
larry simpson the owner and operator of sweetsouthern sounds..
I thought of ray when I was thinking that this would be a great venue for Us steel players to go and chat and share our music .. my girlfriend Took it a little personal And told ray he should have spoke of me in his post .. well i didnt care!!! its all a family anyway.. the final outcome is all that matters anyway... so lets all go and support ray in this thing and i will drop in and share what i have to offer (If anything) and we can all have a blast...
ray i love ya man and by the way the 8 hr days you are putting in over there at sweetsouthern sounds have not gone unnoticed...
Boo Miller

David Coplin

Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 5:47 pm    

I have been hanging out in the finger style picking room for a couple of weeks now and finally last night I got into the new "Steelers room". What a great site. Got to chat with Jerry Brightman and some other steelers. I am using a small mixer with a Mic and the six string guitar and the steel. I am running out of the mixer to the line in on the computer soundboard. Works great! You may have to go into the control panel and adjust the various volumes for your Mic and line out. Its worth the effort. If you have a problem get ahold of Ray or call Larry direct. Good Luck.
Dave

David Coplin

Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 5:51 pm    

Forgot to add....I am coming out of the Nashville 400 pre amp out into the small Behringer mixer and then out to the line-in
on the computer !
Dave

Ray Walker

Post  Posted 15 Apr 2005 3:34 am    

I am happy that everyone is having a good time over at www.sweetsouthernsounds.com .I have been working the room as much as I can and it's fun to see all the folks having such a good time. You can listen and even participate from time to time. We can give you the opportunity to play a cd and even play some live stuff. It's all rather simple to do with a little tutoring and we have set up a special help room to be able to help you out without disrupting the activities in the steel guitar room. There will be special activities and events from time to time to keep things fun and interesting and even a visit from Ole Skeeter once in a while that will make sure your sides stay sore from laughing. Again, let me thank you all for your support and wew are happy to leave the welcome mat out to you.

God Bless

Ray Walker

Bob Lawrence

Post  Posted 15 Apr 2005 4:29 am    

Log-in problems: Anyone having log-in problems such as Mike Sweeney should know the following:

1.The Chat site supports all operating systems such as: McIntosh,Linux,& Windows.

2. First you have to register and receive a confirmation email such as . (I modified the info for my protection)

"Dear Bob Lawrence,

Your login information is below:

User: Bob L
Password: KeepGuessing

First-time users must verify this e-mail first by clicking the following link:

http://www.tcconference.com/sou/community/login.pl?code=00000000000user=BobL&pass=keepguessing&community=Sweet%20Southern%20Sounds

4. Before you can log-in you have to download a chat client. The client download process may be automatic or at least you should see the option to download the client based on the browser you are using. I have use the chat system with Windows XP and MS Internet Explorer and it downloaded the active X chat client(I believe it was automatic). I also used the chat system with Firefox and a different chat cilent(that I has to manually download) Once you down the chat client you still have to click on the file name to install the program. It's always best to restart you browser after the install and try the log-in again. I Hope I got this right but I have been around computers so long that I do most procedures without giving it much thought.

3. Step By Step Help / Tips page: http://home.mindspring.com/~bluelightnin/ssshelp.htm

===================================
From the website:

If you have any problems getting into the rooms e-mail or call me anytime

Larry Simpson:
Email: larry@sweetsouthernsounds.com
PH: 972-775-8527