The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  'Patsy' show in Roanoke, VA.....
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2006 5:43 pm    

There's a production of 'Always - Patsy Cline' being mounted at the Mill Mountain Theatre in Roanoke. The dates are approximately 7/18/06 through 8/20/06.

I've been offered this gig, but I'm unable to take it due to a prior commitment. The Music Director is Bruce Lang, an old friend of mine and an excellent musician. He'll be putting a pretty good band together and it should be great fun.

Accommodation will be provided for out-of-town players, it's a great location, and a super theatre.

Please contact Bruce directly (mail@bigcreekmusic.com) and send some sort of resume. I don't know any specifics, but Bruce has all the info....

Roger Rettig

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2006 6:44 am    

Incidentally, Roanoke is a great 'railroad town'! Since I was last there, the new O. Winston Link exhibition has been opened in the old N&W Passenger Station building (his photos of the end of steam in the USA are a national treasure), and the 'A' class 2-6-6-4 is on display right next to the 'J' class, #611 at the Museum of Transportation...

Boy!!! Do I wish I was doing this gig!

John Lockney

New Market, Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2006 11:01 am    

I would like to nominate Charles "King" Arthur.
http://www.charleskingarthur.com/bio.htm

His Bio may be qualification enough but, he would sound like a jerk if he told you him-self just how great he is so I will offer the following recommendation:

He is not a steel player but an extraordinary musician, who plays guitar, piano, fiddle, banjo, and steel guitar, etc.

I've seen him several times with the Piedmont Souprize. The lead singer has a stunning voice, which is very similar to Patsy Cline. They have a terrific vintage sound and his accompaniment on guitar, banjo, piano, lap steel, is minimalist and amazingly "tasteful". They are also known for "theatrics", holding audiences captivated with silly skits and gags. He can memorize lines, "act", and ham-it-up for sure.

I went to see the "Charles King Arthur Trio" last night. Along with a bass player and drummer he played piano, guitar, lap steel, and each one so well that it could have been his main instrument. It was Jerry Lee Lewis on piano, Chuck Berry on guitar, dinner-jazz on piano, a beautiful "Somewhere over the Rainbow" on lap steel.

I told him I was really into steel guitar and, he was kind enough not to punch me when I asked for "steel guitar rag". With this song he really put on a show for me and just played the snot out of it. Its a song I would have said I know on E9 but, this made me realize that I have actually memorized by-rote a single version. He played it 25 different ways in 3 minutes.

His lap steel is C6, he plays a Multikord in A6 and also a bit of E9. I'm sure he knows the "Patsy" material already. He could probably "rotate" and fill-in for the piano or guitar player if they didn't show-up.

I mentioned the "Patsy" play in Ranoke and he sounded interested, said to send him the info and dates. It might be too far of a drive or the dates might not work out but, if you can get this guy to do it you would not regret it.

If it works-out, I would accept one free ticket for the referral. I'll buy one at full-cost for whats'er name.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2006 11:23 am    

I'm just the messenger - if Charles is interested in the gig, he can e-mail the MD. I just passed on the gig - all the rest is none of my business.

Free tickets????

RR

John Lockney

Post  Posted 27 Mar 2006 8:38 am    

In the the mention of a "free ticket" I was half-joking about actually going. It would be a 5-hour drive one-way, which would mean spending the night and making a weekend of it. If we do actually make it down I would be delighted to purchase tickets at full-price to support the production.

I'll tell Charles to contact the musical director directly, thanks.

[This message was edited by John Lockney on 27 March 2006 at 06:43 PM.]

John Lockney

Post  Posted 27 Mar 2006 7:53 pm    

Bruce, the musical director, said to post that he already has a steel player for this show.