The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Free! Cherokee Cowboys, Instrumentals
Doyle Mitchell

Loraine, Texas
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2004 10:16 am    

Guys, a friend just gave me an unopened vinyl album of the Cherokee Cowboys from years ago, no date on the album but an advertising inside was advertising Johnny Cash's new Folsom Prison, so that should tell us something. I know I should not have opened it but this music was meant to be heard and not stored. Songs are Devil's Dream, Linda Lou, LiL" Liza Jane, Rubber Dolly, Burnt Fingers, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, Maiden"s Prayer, Old Love Letters, Spanish Two Step,Liberty Bells, and Sing a Sad Song. I heard this album years ago and had forgotten about it. Does not list musicians, but sounds like Tommy Jackson on fiddle. If anyone does not have this album or hasnt heard it and would like to, I think maybe I can talk my wife into putting it on cd and send you a free copy. Drop me a mail if interested. Doyle

Doyle Mitchell

Loraine, Texas
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2004 12:01 pm    

Guys, I wasnt thinking about the fact this was infringement, I am now being told that I can not do this without causing possible problems, I was only thinking that since I offered to do it FREE and there was no charge there would be no problem. Sorry guys.

Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2004 12:18 pm    

I bet none of these "good citizens" ever ran a redlight and surely they wouldn't cheat on their taxes! Musicians? Never!

David Mullis

Rock Hill, SC
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2004 8:36 am    

Ok, but what if this album is out of print? Seems like it would be a shame for it to be lost forever. I wonder how the copyright laws work in a situation like that?

[This message was edited by David Mullis on 11 June 2004 at 09:37 AM.]

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2004 8:48 am    

The album is available in the Ray Price Bear Family box set, along with the rest of his incredible output 1950 to 1966.

The set costs about $250, but it is worth every penny of it!!. There are 10 CD's in this set as well as a wonderful bio book written by Rich Kienzle with incredible photos. Given the value, I don't think it's expensive at all.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Doyle Mitchell

Loraine, Texas
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2004 2:02 pm    

Thanks for the info Herb, There have been several wanting to buy the album itself or asking where they can purchase one, I dont wish to part with mine and had no idea of where to find another one. If anyone has a old copy of this album and would like to part with it, there are plenty of folks to buy it. Herb is right, for 250.00 the whole collection is not bad at all, especially since it is PRICELESS, in my heart anyway. Thanks to all, Doyle

Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2004 6:35 pm    

I've been studying the Bear Family Records box set (Ray Price) for several months now, and, believe me, as was stated before, it's the the bible of the E9th. There's things in there done by Buddy Emmons and Jimmy Day that I can't even begin to find (but I'll never stop lookin'). Talk about having miniscule questions to ask Buddy about recording sessions he played in 1958...

That is the music I grew up on and love to play. I keep CD's 5 thru 10 in the pickup and play them frequently to pickup the steel. When my 13 yr old daughter climbs in all I hear is "Oh No! Not that again..." When she's 40 yrs old she'll think differently.

As for the copying of CD's, Fair Use says you can make limited copies for yourself, but not for others. Don't be too upset if you weren't aware. A lot of people don't know until their told, hopefully by a friend and not by the Feds...

[This message was edited by Ray Minich on 11 June 2004 at 07:46 PM.]