The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Moviola URS Practice/Jam Amplifier
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2004 5:21 am    

This is a Magnasynch Moviola amplifier - a very cool, retro-looking small tube amp. These were made in the 1960's for 16mm film editing but make a nifty little amp for practice or a quiet jam session. It's perfect for lap steel or acoustic guitar but a pedal steel would likely overwhelm it. I'll email photos to anyone who wants to see 'em but basicallly, the URS is an industrial-looking green metal box with a metal grill and a silver carrying handle that's about the size of a lunch box. I had a professional amp technician put in a 1/4" instrument jack and a 10 ft. cord with a 3-prong plug. The amp doesn't have much headroom before it distorts but it adds a pleasing tube grit. In the interest of full disclosure, the 60 cycle hum is pretty prominant but not completely overbearing. there may be ways I'm not aware of to mitigate it as well. I can't tell you what kind of tube, speaker, etc. is in there but it's all hand wired and it works fine. the controls couldn't be simpler: just a volume control knob and a red "on" light. there's also a headphone "out" jack. I'm selling it 'cause I need to fund another purchase. I have $120 invested but will let it go for $75 + UPS shipping.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2004 5:55 am    

Sold.