The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Damaged in transit...Input requested
Roger Kelly

Bristol,Tennessee
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2004 5:31 am    

Bobby, refund him the amount he sent you.
I sold my Amp for $550.00 including shipping. I chose to insure it for $500.00 instead of $550.00 which was what the buyer sent me. My settlement with UPS was for $500.00. I paid the other $50.00 out of my pocket, since it was my fault that I didn;t insure it for the full $550.00....not the buyers.

David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2004 10:42 am    

Inadequate packaging is the main excuse the shippers use for not paying the insurance. You are at their mercy. But really good packaging with documentation photos help. For very expensive items, building a wood crate for shipping should be considered, although nothing is foolproof. For heavy amps, it is usually wise to ship the chassis and cabinet separate.

Bobby Duncan

Pensacola, FL, USA (these days)
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2004 11:48 am    

Well, I'm screwed then, because the buyer in this case didn't save the packaging materials. He had already thrown them out. I couldn't imagine packing this amp any better than I did. I was worried about it tho, just because it was so heavy.
Nonetheless, everyone can rest their minds about this one. I have mailed Lyle a check for $500.00, to cover his full refund plus, what did Ray call it, "consequential damages". I also told him to just keep the amp.
Now, how's that for holding the buyer harmless?
I'll deal with UPS, and let the chips fall where they may. I'm fairly confident that they won't pay, at least not the full amount, based on what everyone has said here. No matter. I'm like a rabbit humping a skunk. I haven't had all I want, but I've had all I can stand. I'm ready to put this thing behind me, so there you have it.
If that doesn't satisfy him, then I don't know what to tell you.
Never let it be said that I didn't hold up to my end of the bargain.
BD

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2004 1:37 pm    

Bobby, you done won yerself a blessing
Right On !

Lyle Bradford

Gilbert WV USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2004 1:43 pm    

Bobby I told you 425 is all i want. I want to share half of the shipping with you. I can't keep the amp because they will come and get it for you to file a claim on. I can't understand why you are so upset with me. I have tried to be as polite as i know how to be.I told you from day one there was something a wrong with the amp. I could not find it for a couple of days. In the times i am taking my wife for chemo treatments and haveing to take care of her myself i get to spend maybe 30 minutes a day in my music building. In the meantime the packing material got wet and ruined. I told the UPS inspector this and he told me to give him a copy of the emails i sent you concerning what was wrong with the amp or have them so they could be seen by the inspector and that would be proof enough. They will be here tommorrow to pick the amp up. Please do not send anymore than 425 and lets wrap this deal up. There was no visible signs of damage at all to the packaging is what made me think it was a speaker. The amp had no protection on its top and bottom. . It is very plain to see at some point the amp has been dropped on its top end. when i opened it it was upside down as the package did not show a top or bottom side. I have every email we have sent each other to share with them from the first day I opened it and told you I thougt something was wrong with the amp because it had a bad rattle in it when i tried to play bass thru it. When i opened it I used a box cutter and the package was no more than paper laying out on my drive way. I am willing to do what ever to help you get your money back. I don't know what else you expect of me. I think this needs closed up before it goes any farther. I have enough problems of my own to argue over an amp. If you sent a 500 check I will return 75 back to you as soon as i cash it. I have sat here and thought about what to tell them so i can be of help to you. I was with the UPS driver when it was unloaded here and it was not dropped then so it happend some where else. That is for you and them to decide. All i know is what i seen and that the amp is ruined. I hope this is my last post on the subject and again i will do all i can to help you and be honest.

Bobby Duncan

Pensacola, FL, USA (these days)
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2004 2:06 pm    

Dude, lighten up. I'm not upset with you. I'm frustrated that this turned out this way, but I know it's not your fault. I never blamed you for anything. I have apologized repeatedly, and I'm just trying to make it right.
I don't want to cause you any more frustration. This has been frustrating enough for both of us. All I'm saying is that I'm willing to bear the frustration. I intend to file this all under "lesson's learned", and move on.
I'll know better next time.
No hard feelings on my end.
BD

BTW, the check went out in the mail this morning.

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2004 3:02 pm    

Hate to see these things happen. If its any consolation, I bought a $2000 "Mint" Guild JF-65/12-string last November and the day after it got into the UPS system, a week of -30C was upon us. The lacquer finish was checkered when I opened it. Talk about a heartbreak. The biggest single guitar investment I had ever made, it was.....Who was negligent on that one? Me...Shouldn't have ordered a friggin' expensive guitar so near the winter season...I play it - but I eat my pride when I do.

Willis Vanderberg

Petoskey Mi
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2004 10:13 am    

Bobby:
You have done the right thing. I recently sold a 1941 D-18 Martin guitar to a man in Mass.I shipped it in a brand new case ,hard shell, very good fit.This was packed in the new box the case came in. When the buyer received it the guitar was split on both sides of the end button all the way to the neck.The only thing holding the top and bottom together was the neck block and the block on the bottom. Also the head stock was broken.I had twenty pictures of the guitar before it was shipped and the buyer took pictures of the damages before it was picked up and returned to me.I immediatly refunded his purchase price , which was thousands.I am still waiting to resolve this with UPS. They informed me of course , it wasn't packed properly.The fact that the whole thing was accordianed and run over by something that left tracks didn't seem to matter. But I will wait and see what the small claims court thinks about all this. Although I can only recover three thousand in that court.When a decision is very hard to make it is usually because it is the right one.
Old Bud

Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2004 1:43 am    

I have been through this recently. I bought an American Deluxe Stratocaster from a guy in Oklahoma. He shipped it USPS. When it arrived it was shipped in a rectangular SKB case in just a single ply carton. During transit something heavy must have been placed on top of the carton (up to 90 lbs.).
It arrived with several frets scored deeply, unplayable.
I was told by the seller it was my responsibility to file, and handle the claim, which was a big hassle.
After a few hot emails with each other, I conceeded to file. I carried it in, and showed the postmaster, who suggested the packing was insufficient, and I could not honestly disagree. I filed anyway, and did a pretty good write-up, with pictures and submitted it. I had to have the guitar repaired ( 4 weeks and $290.00), and then submit hoping they would pay for the damages.
After 5 weeks I received a check for the damages.
My point is, I would never deal with this individual again. It was his packing job, and he should have offered some assistance in my instance.
I had a couple of UPS damages, and the sender filed and reinbursed me without question.

My horror story.
Lefty
Dekley D-10
Sho-Bud LDG
American Deluxe Strat (New frets and fret board refinished)

[This message was edited by Lefty on 30 July 2004 at 02:44 AM.]

Joseph Barcus

Volga West Virginia
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2004 2:05 pm    

This is the very reason i dont use (ups) they will fight you tooth and nail to pay you, but hold there hand out fast when taking your money. i use the post office for all things up to 70 lbs and plus its alot cheaper. not once have i ever had any trouble collecting on insurance claims. and i move alot of stuff. ups got me once on a speaker and every since then i dont deal with them for nothing

Al Sato

Texas Hill Country
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2004 3:22 pm    

Not that this helps in this particular instance, but the only time I ever had a damage claim with UPS was the time I had the UPS Store pack the item. They paid the whole amount, not without a little foot-dragging but I can live with that. Perhaps it's worth the additional expense if you and your buyer can come to terms on that.

Al

John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2004 3:55 pm    

I've shipped Steels and Amps to both The U.K. and Switzerland via. U.P.S. with never a problem! [Knock on wood]

------------------
“Big John” Bechtel
(2)-Fender ’49–’50 T–8 Customs
Fender ’65 Reissue Twin-Reverb Custom™ 15”
click here
click hereclick hereclick here