The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Is this a scam or what?
David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2004 4:42 pm    

The last 2 times I have listed items for sale I have received email such as the following. It may or may not have come from the same person. However, the one thing in common is the broken english and some type of special arraingement wanting to be made concerning the sale. I have posted this in hopes of relaying this to everyone else conducting business here on the forum. Take care and be careful!
Dave

Letter:
--------------------------------------------

Dear Seller,
I 'm interested in purchasing your advertised Nashville 400, Goodrich 7A, Peavey Cache card and i will like to know the last price if is okay by me. if I can pay with Cashier's Check in U.S funds . If this is okay with you do get back to me immediately for me to arrange the payment. Concerning the shippment, my shipper will come and pick it up from
your location as soon as we seathis transaction. Do get back to me immediately with your payment ASAP. Hope to hear from you soon
Best regards,
Brooks.
NB:- My e-mail Address (billbrooks@graffiti.net),i will be looking forward to hear from you soon. Do attach the picture if available.
Thanks.

[This message was edited by David Higginbotham on 07 July 2004 at 05:43 PM.]

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2004 4:48 pm    

I recieved the same email except the items listed were changed to accommodate my post.

?

DZ

[This message was edited by Dave Zirbel on 07 July 2004 at 05:49 PM.]

Bill Simmons

Keller, Texas/Birmingham, AL, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2004 5:09 pm    

It's probably a scam like I've been getting the last few weeks...one guy was a real scream in that he was going to have a guy here in the states send me a check for $3000 and I was to cash it and then sent the balance to him and his shipper would come and pick up the instruments!!

I was born at night -- but not last night!!

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2004 5:21 pm    

I have received it as well. It is most definitely a scam!!!

Vann Ray Cranford

Kinston, N.C. 28501-1571
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2004 10:49 pm    

Hey guys,
In reference to the scam comments on the Forum, I have also been contacted by someone claiming to be from Australia. This person wanted to buy some of my equipment and wanted me to cash a $3000.00 cashiers check, take out the money for the items that I am selling, and send him or her the remaining money. Also, this person was supposed to arrange for the items to be picked up by a friend. This person stopped contacting me about my items as soon as I stated that I would accept only a US Postal money order for the items.
Being a retired state law officer, I have run into this scam before. The trick is for you to cash the counterfeit bank check(which can be printed on computer with the right know how by the criminal) and send him or her the balance of money. Then, the check bounces and someone, mainly the bank, is looking to you to make the check good,and the criminal has made money from a trusting victim. The NC S.B.I. and the AG's office have also recently put out warnings in NC about this scam. Just thought I would add my knowledge in hopes of preventing a good person from becoming another victim of a criminal. Vann Cranford, Retired NC Intensive Probation/Parole Officer

[This message was edited by Vann Cranford on 07 July 2004 at 11:52 PM.]

forrest klott

Grand Rapids Mi USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2004 3:54 am    

Hey guys,

This scam is being worked on two other forums that I belong to, one is a steelhead fishing site and the other one is the Telecaster Discussion Page. Same deals on the other two, I've been wondering how long it was going to take to make it to this one.

DON'T DO IT!!!

Skeeter

Dan Chroninger

Blackriver Falls, Wisconson, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2004 4:43 am    

I Got the same exact E-mail Today same name
most likely the conterfiet casher check scam

Gary Dunn

near Camel City, NC
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2004 5:03 am    

Forrest,

What is the web address for the Telecaster Discussion Page? Thanks.

Gary

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2004 5:36 am    

My reply to them was Postal money order or PayPal and I do my own shipping (no shipping outside the US). That stops their emails dead in their tracks!

[This message was edited by Ken Fox on 08 July 2004 at 06:36 AM.]

Sonny Miller

Lino Lakes, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2004 5:49 am    

I received the same type of scheme also and notified B0B, and he agreed this was a scheme.Here is the final rip off letters so you will see how they do it.
As follows is the exact copys of the emails.

Dear Seller,
I 'm interested in purchasing your advertised 73 Fender Vibrosonic . and i will like to know the last price if is okay by me. if I can pay with Cashier's Check in U.S funds . If this is okay with you do get back to me immediately for me to arrange the payment. Concerning the shippment, my shipper will come and pick it up from
your location as soon as we seathis transaction. Do get back to me immediately with your payment ASAP. Hope to hear from you soon
Best regards,
Alex.
NB:- My e-mail Address (alexkain2000@yahoo.com),i will be looking forward to hear from you soon. Do attach the picture if available.
Thanks.
Brooks
(I emailed that the amp was not for sale)
Then i got this email.

Thanks for your mail,I have contacted my client and he said that since you said the cost of your Amp is $650 and my client says there is no problem about the price,but there is something i will like to tell you that you have to understand that my client is owing me $3,000 and he has just issued you a check of $3,650 which you will be expecting while you deduct your $650 and wire me back my $3,000 western union money transfer.So You will be expecting a check of $3,650 while you wire me back $3,000 via Western Union Money Transfer or as soon as you receive the check i will like you make the transfer of $3,000 minus the comission for the transfer of the funds via western union money transfer which i will be using for paying up my client's shipper.After the balance on the check has been wired to me i will then instruct my client's shippers to come to your destination to pick up the Amp.So let me have your full contact information to where the check will be sent to like this.
name............
full address..........
city..............
state............
country..............
zipcode............
cell telephone number......
Looking forward to your respond and do not forget
the photos so that my client will be able to see
what he is paying for.So i will be expecting your mail soonest today and the information of your's.
Best Regards.
Alex Cain

Sonny Miller
2004 Williams 400X D10

Matt Steindl

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2004 6:25 am    

I got the same emails on items listed. Initially I asked them why they would want to ship a $75 rack case all the way to Africa. Then to get them to stop bothering me, I simply told them that I only sell to other forum members.

Scott Appleton

Ashland, Oregon
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2004 8:30 am    

I think its a scam. I got the same hit on my post yesterday. I told them to get real or get lost.

------------------
Mullen S12
Acoustic 165 100W tube
71 Tele, Regal 45, Gretch
Lap, Columbia Lap, Magnatone S8, Line 6 flextone 3, JBL d130,

forrest klott

Grand Rapids Mi USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2004 8:44 am    

Hi Gary,
www.tdpri.com

That stands for Telecaster Discussion Page Re-Issue. I guess this site was down for a while because some of the members couldn't play nice together, so when they came back out with it they tagged it as "re-issued". Kinda neat, it fits right in with Fender's line up.

Hope that helps,

Skeet

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2004 4:11 pm    

There is a announcement about this scam at the top of all of the Classified Ads index pages.

------------------
               Bobby Lee
-b0b-   quasar@b0b.com
 System Administrator

Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2004 1:16 pm    

Whew-ee !!! i feel so much better ,now that i hear that others have gotten this silly e-mail . There should be some way to track these people . They have too much time on their hands . G.P.

Jim Ives

Los Angeles, California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2004 4:32 pm    

Yup, it's a scam allright! I got contacted by e-mail from some yutz that wrote in very poor English who wanted to buy my Sho-Bud ($2500 price) by sending me $5000 and I would pay his "well shipper that will come for the pick-up". I replied to him and never heard back.
Don't these people know that steel players are too saavy to get duped?
-Jim

------------------
Mullen D-10
Sho-Bud Pro II D-10
Boss RV3
Fulltone Full-Drive II
Evans FET 500
Peavey Nashville 1000
Vox wah-wah pedal

Bob Smith

Allentown, New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2004 5:22 pm    

I just got an email from one of those cretans. It was so stupid , i got a good laugh out of it. bob

Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2004 7:48 pm    

There are a lot of web browsing persons in Nigeria with a lot of time on their hands. CBS news did a thing on this (60 Minutes I think) better than a year ago.

Hiro Keitora

New York, New York
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2004 6:31 am    

Yap. I'm selling my compressors and I did get exact mail like above came to me. I didn't like "His Shipper" coming to me, so I ignored it.

Del Mullen

Flagler Co. USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2004 10:46 am    

We just had the same scam happen to us. He wanted the SD-10 we have for sale and said he would have a cashier's check sent to us and we would cash it and western union the remaining balance to him, and deduct an additional $50 for our running around. Not knowing it was a scam until now, but I sent him an email back telling him we would not do such a thing for him. He claims he was from the UK. It just didn't seem right that someone would accually pay us double for a guitar and then want the rest back. If he wants to pay double and let us keep the balance well then, maybe.

Mike Mantey
Mullen Guitars

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2004 1:03 pm    

I got one that just seemed to be fishing
He was a reverend Dr. and wanted
"The itmes you are selling"
Yeah WHAT items.

Another good way is to say :
fine send the check i'll put it in my bank...

But until my bank says it's cleared and good at BOTH banks,
no equipment or cash goes anywhere.

If it isn't good the cops can go to the receiving address if they want to.

Also... gee I will just wire cash to a strangers PO box...
Duh, and pigs can fly.

Tom Olson

Spokane, WA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2004 10:59 pm    

I have an idea -- how about if everybody who gets an offer from this scammer simply accept his offer. Before it's over, this guy would be out big bucks from spending all that time and postage sending bogus checks over here. Maybe then, he'll learn his lesson and quit bothering us.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2004 6:40 am    

My advise regarding all such scams is simply this: DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!

This is both a security issue, and a criminal activity. These people, although lacking in Netiquet (all caps), and despite poor spelling and bad grammer, are usually members of spam and scam gangs, or organized African crime rackets. They are often criminals in their own country, operating from Internet Cafes. Some of them are very dangerous.

This type of activity is so prevalent in Nigeria (2nd or 3rd largest industry), and neighboring countries, that the Nigerian Government enacted a law, known as Penal Code 4-1-9, which is supposed to punish fraudulant activities there. However, not only is very little prosecution of 419ers done, but it is probable that many Nigerian banking and law enforcement officials are involved with these rackets as well, for a kickback, or as ring leaders. People have lost their lives trying to recover money they paid to Nigerian 419 scammers. Do not respond to any scam letters, unless you are in law enforcement, or security.

Forumites posting items for sale can add a layer of protection by turning off displaying of their email addresses in their Posts, and ask all interested parties to respond to the Forum. You will be notified whenever somebody replies, if you select that option before submitting your ad, or reply. This is a slight inconvenience, but it will deter the trolls and 419ers. Trolls who respond to ads can have their posts deleted by admins. There are many free email services available which will allow you to create a throwaway address for use to close deals.

Please read the announcements posted by the SysAdmin by clicking on the link, above the first line of any Forum, labeled "SCAMMERS trolling the Forum." This will keep you up to date with any developments or best procedures to adher to.

Submitted IMHO, by Wiz
Computer Security
Member of WebmasterWorld
Member of SpamCop
Member of ComputerCops
Member of this Forum

[This message was edited by Wiz Feinberg on 16 July 2004 at 08:02 AM.]

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2004 8:40 am    

this was posted on "off topic" and worth the look see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/3887493.stm

Doug Ferguson

Burnet, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2004 8:23 am    

I always send a simple reply to scammers stating that I've copied their email to the FBI, US Customs, and Homeland Security, and cc it to several email addresses that I made up. Of course i get those made up addrs back undeliverable, but who cares. I seem to scare the doodoo out of whoever sent me the original scam email cause they dissappear!