The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  65 Super Reverb Value
Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2004 9:58 am    

It's 65 or 64 one owner. What it worth?Or where is the best place to view prices.I don't do E-bay or keep up with guitar gear prices.The amp is nice for it's age.And sounds great.Thanks........bb

Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2004 11:10 am    

Bobby....That amp,if in excellent original condition,with original speakers,is worth around 1500++.(more if it has the original cover and footswitch)...You can check EBAY to get a feel for what these are going for...The market has slowed down a bit from what I've seen(SR's were at an all time high in '03)but that's still a very desireable amp....I have TWO from '67,and use them all the time...hope this helps....

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2004 11:39 am    

Thanks Cris.It's all original except for the tubes.Including cover.

[This message was edited by Bobby Boggs on 26 July 2004 at 10:53 PM.]

Chris Boyd

Post  Posted 26 Jul 2004 1:05 pm    

You're welcome Bobby.....it sounds like a nice amp....

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2004 2:07 pm    

$1500 sounds competitive to other prices I have heard.

Bottom line is it is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Good Luck

------------------
Tim Harr - Carter D-10 8p & 9k w/ BL-705s; Webb 6-14E Amplfier

Chris Boyd

Post  Posted 26 Jul 2004 5:38 pm    

Bobby....Here is the LINK to a REALLY NICE '63 Super Reverb on EBAY:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38074&item=3737392137&rd=1

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2004 9:56 pm    

Cris,thanks for the link which took me to the long lost by me at least.Ampwares link.You da man............bb

John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2004 3:42 am    

Bobby, here is a link to musical equipment average used prices. You will find it very handy when buying or selling. ....... JD
http://www.prepal.com/manufacturers.htm

Lee Costley

North Little Rock, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2004 6:14 am    

The year makes a pretty BIG DIFFERENCE...several hundred dollars, in fact. Check the front faceplate, under the "Super Reverb" logo. If the amp was made in 1965 or later it should say, in small print "Fender Musical Instruments",if it was made prior to 1965, it should say "Fender Electronic Instruments". The CBS pruchase & takeover was in 1964-1965. Electronically these two amplifiers are the same (Leo Fender stayed on as a consultant as long as his health permitted). Pre-CBS Fender amplifiers are highly prized by snob collectors (myself included!).
A more precise date code can be found on the tube chart which is glued to the inside of the amplifier cabinet.
YEAR MONTH

1951 A January A
1952 B February B
1953 C March C
1954 D April D
1955 E May E
1956 F June F
1957 G July G
1958 H August H
1959 I September I
1960 J October J
1961 K November K
1962 L December L
1963 M
1964 N
1965 O
1966 P
1967 Q
1968 R
1969 S
Even more confusing is the fact that Fender built amplifier models until All of the parts for that model were exhausted...therefore, you might want to "pot date" the volume & tone controls & speakers.
How the Source-Date Code Works.
The source-date code on a pot is a 6 or 7 digit code impressed into the casing of the potentiometer. For speakers this code can be 5, 6, 7 or 8 digits long, and it's ink-stamped or paint-stamped on the "bell housing" of the speaker.
In either case, the code works the same. The first 3 digits on a pot, or the first 2, 3 or 4 digits on a speaker are the source or manufacturer code.

The remaining 3 or 4 digits are the date code. In 3 digit dates code, the 1st digit is the last digit of the year. On 4 digits date codes, the 1st and 2nd digits are the last two digits of the year. In either case, the remaining 2 digits are the week of manufacture (01 to 52). With this in mind, remember if the last two digits of the source-date code are greater than 52, you're not looking at the source-date code!

Also it's worth mentioning:

Sometimes there is a space or hyphen between the manuafacturer code and the year/week code.
3 digit date codes were used in the 1940's and 1950's.
4 digit date codes were used in the 1960's and later (this makes determining the year much simplier!).
On 3 digit date codes, you have to "guess" the decade of the pot or speaker. Usually this isn't too difficult.

also the speakers themselves have date codes on the rim of the speaker, as well as a manufacturers identification number.
Examples of Source-Date Codes.
Speaker Source Codes.

Here are the speaker manufacturers (the first 2, 3 or 4 digits of the source-date code) used by most guitar amp makers.
67 = Eminence
137 = CTS
220 = Jenson
308 = Stromberg-Carlson
328 = Utah
336 = Western Electric
391 = Altec-Lansing
416 = Heath
465 = Oxford
589 = Bogen
649 = Electro-Voice
With all this information in mind, can you identify the following manufacturer and date of these source-date codes?

220 7001
Jensen speaker, 1st week of 1970.
CTS, 41st week of 1953 (or 1943 or 1963, but probably 1953 as source-date codes weren't used much during or before WWII, and 4 digit date codes weren't used till the 1960's and later).
304-6110
Stackpole pot, 10th week of 1961.
CTS, 48th week or 1948 or 1958.

A really clean, pre-CBS Super Reverb with all the original trappings (cover, Foot switch, tilt-back legs with no rust, all original & rust free transformers, nick free cabinet & grill cloth, with original speakers can bring a couple of thousand dollars.....this is a perfect price for a perfect example. I own a 1967 blackface Super Reverb, I bought it about 10 years ago for $20.00. It was an extreme beater, but I was able to bring it back, both electrically & cosmetically & it is now one of the best sounding amplifiers I have!
If you don't really NEED the money, I would advise you to hang on to it for a few more years....the very fact that Fender re-issued the Super Reverb is a testimony to its undying popularity..... you may now own a Pre-Turn of the Century-Pre-CBS Fender Super Reverb, arguably one of the 10 most desirable guitar amplifiers ever built. It therefore can only escalate in value in the years to come.
Lee

------------------
singin & playin is my greatest thrill!!!