The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Allen Bradley Pot Brushes
Harry Sheppard

Kalispell, MT USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2004 7:29 am    

I just picked up 20 New Old Stock Allen Bradley Made in the USA 50 ohm Pots to harvest the brushes to rebuild some of my old 500K and 250K pots. It works great. Most of the time the noise is the brush holder rubbing on the resistive track. If it is not damaged, you can replace the brush and the pot is as good as new. I did this in my Fender volume/tone pedal without even removing the pot. They are very small but it is not hard to replace them.

I will send you a new brush for your pot if you want to try it for a $2.50 or more donation to b0b at the Forum for doing the steel guitar world a great service with the Steel Guitar Forum. If it works, great, you just saved yourself $25.00 for a new pot. If not, the money will go for a great service. Just email me your name and where to send it.

Thanks,

Harry

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2004 9:02 am    

One tip on that restoration process. After you've installed the new brush and cleaned it out and lubed it, put a little bit of glue or silicone sealant around where the can seals up against the base, this will help keep moisture out and keep oxidation from building up on the track or brush.

Also, when installing the new brush, if you accidentally bend the brush spring back to where it loses some of its tension, you can wedge tiny pieces of wire or even paper under the spring to regain some tension. Not too tight or you'll wear thru the brush faster.

Brad Sarno