The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Aura Imaging Pedal
Rick Langdon

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2012 8:24 am    

I understand the Fishman Jerry Douglas Signature Series Aura Imaging Pedal was designed to work with the Fishman Nashville Pickup for Reso's ... however, what about the Schertler pickup in the Wechter-Scheerhorns? Would it work equally well for those? Or are there other devices that are better suited?

And does anyone have an opinion about which pickup system is better?

Featured demo (played on Appalachian Reso): https://soundcloud.com/rick-langdon/als-workshop

-- Play on!!

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2012 8:47 am    

Disclaimer: I own a Martin DC-Aura, not the JD.

It is my understanding that the Aura system is based on the acoustic difference between the guitar professionally mic'ed up and the output of the installed pickup... the initial studio processing samples both the mic'ed guitar and the pickup output and develops a custom EQ based on the difference between the two signals, designed to make the pickup signal more resemble the studio mic'ed signal.

With that in mind, the system would perform best on the original guitar used during sampling, with the same exact pickup installed. Failing that, any similarities to the original studio sampling would increase the benefit... with the Martin I have, I'm using the same model of guitar, with the same model of pickup, installed in the same manner. It sounds very nice indeed, although it does eat batteries (that's where a floor pedal might be nicer).

Any departures tend to lessen the benefits (unless you get lucky). Using a different pickup, installed in a different way, on a different guitar, would be the worst case scenario... and still might sound great. Only one way to tell!

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2012 9:22 am    

Rick, the Schertler might be the best thing out there for dobros besides the Fishman Nashville p'up, but I have been up close with a couple players who still had the Schertler in their guitar, but added a Jerry Douglas Aura pedal to the signal chain and it was just okay at best.

As you wrote, The Fishman Nashville p'up and the JD pedal working together as a system is what it's all about.

The Schertler was a big jump from the old Fishman donut, McIntyre Feather, etc. pickups, but I think if you ask just about anyone who has had both between the Schertler and the Fishman Nashville w/Aura they'll tell you that the newer Fishman is easily superior.

The Schertler Basik seems to be at its best with the matching Schertler preamp.

Rick Langdon

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2012 9:30 am    

Thanks guys ... I am contemplating an upgrade in the Reso department in the coming year and want to make sure I make a really good, long-term decision.

Featured demo (played on Appalachian Reso): https://soundcloud.com/rick-langdon/als-workshop

-- Play on!!

Mark Eaton

Post  Posted 7 Dec 2012 9:52 am    

The good news we've been hearing after a number of the early Fishman Nashville p'ups were found to be having issues with uneven volume from different strings is that Fishman and Paul Beard have figured out what the problems were, have addressed the issues and have made some small modifications to the product.

They aren't calling it anything like "Fishman Nashville Pickup Version 2.0" as one might see in the computer world, but the problems have been addressed.

Even Rob Ickes was seen fairly recently to be playing a plugged-in gig with a mixed acoustic/electric band and he now has a Fishman in one of his Scheerhorns for those mixed band scenarios.

Tim Scheerhorn originally had a lot to do with the Schertler pickup and I think that's a big reason why some of the Wechter/Scheerhorns are available with the Schertler p'up installed.

To me, the smart money would be to switch over to the Fishman and lose the Schertler in those guitars.

People have already had success with the new el cheapo Gretsch Bobtail that comes with the Fishman installed, it would strike me as a smart move to offer the Fishman in the "Frugalhorn," which is a superior (though more expensive) instrument than the el cheapo Gretsch.

Christopher Hillman

Manchester, UK
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2013 12:31 pm    

Just a quick question, but does anyone know if you have to use a D.I. with these pedals? or is it buit in?

Mark Eaton

Post  Posted 17 Jan 2013 12:53 pm    

I don't know the spec. of the DI that is contained in the JD Aura pedal, but a direct box is not required.

However, some people do run it through a direct box as part of their signal chain.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2013 5:40 pm    

I communicated via email with the folks at Fishman before buying my JD pedal. It was pretty clear from their communications that the JD pedal does not have a DI built in. I was specifically discussing with them the differences between the Spectrum pedal and the JD pedal. Spectrum pedal has DI and a preamp; JD pedal does not have DI or preamp (it's only an imaging pedal).

However, if you are going from the JD pedal into an acoustic amp, such as my Loudbox, you don't need a DI to then connect to a PA. Just use a line out from the back of the Loudbox. It seems to do the same basic thing as a DI, but I'm no expert on electronics gadgets. I just know my rig works great without a DI.

It's my understanding that if you are trying to go from the JD pedal straight into the PA you will need a DI. The JD pedal only has a 1/4 jack output. It doesn't have the microphone style output.

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2013 7:44 pm     Re: Aura Imaging Pedal

Rick Langdon wrote:
I understand the Fishman Jerry Douglas Signature Series Aura Imaging Pedal was designed to work with the Fishman Nashville Pickup for Reso's ... however, what about the Schertler pickup in the Wechter-Scheerhorns? Would it work equally well for those? Or are there other devices that are better suited?

And does anyone have an opinion about which pickup system is better?

It's been mentioned several times in the past that the Fishman Nashville series pickup is specifically designed to work with the Jerry Douglas Signature Series Aura® Imaging Pedal. It does not work as well with other pickups.

Use the "Search" function in the upper right corner and enter the words "Fishman Douglas" to see 80 different discussions.