The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Blue Jade Question for Buddy Emmons
Dean Parks

Sherman Oaks, California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2005 6:53 pm    

Buddy-

At the end of the verse, that drop to the lower inversion and then back up again... did you use the AF pedals, or LKR and RKL? If it was the LKR and RKL, did you mute string 7 on the way back up? My string 7 wants to play along!

-dean-

Dyke Corson

Fairmount, IL USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2005 9:46 pm    

Tab is in Scotty's Anthology book by Mel Bay

Tommy Alexander

Friendswood, Texas 77546
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2005 4:42 am    

Dean, Ron Elliott has a great version of "Blue Jade" along with some other great songs in his "Pure American Steel" tab book and CD; give him a call, he would appreicate it and you won't be disappointed.

Buddy Emmons

Hermitage, TN USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2005 4:49 am    

Dean,
I used the LKR and RKL. I’m not near a guitar at the present but if I ever have that problem I block the vibrating string either with the thumb pick, third finger of the right hand, or the thumb of the bar hand, depending on where the vibrating string is located . When I was using an E13th country pedal tuning, the B to C# change would almost always activate the C# note between the E and B strings. In that case I used the third finger of the right hand to block as I released my pedal A. It’s a distracting but necessary means of handling the problem, but in time, it becomes second nature.

thurlon hopper

Elizabethtown Pa. USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2005 5:12 pm    

Dean, you had the MAN himself answer you so my little entry will seem feeble, but if you are referring to the drop/ raise phrase
that i am thinking of, with the Day tuning
set-up, from ap pedalled F chord on the 8th
fret, i get pretty good effect by releasing the pedal that raises strings 3 and 6 when i drop to the fourth fret and raising the #4 and 8 i/2 step, when still playing #'s
5,6 and 8 and then going back to the 8th fret with the standard triad on #;s 5, 6 and 8. Hope this isn't too confusing. TJH

Dean Parks

Post  Posted 5 Jun 2005 10:31 pm    

Buddy-

Thanks for your very complete answer. I am honored.

Thurlon, yes, that is what I meant by "AF" position, just as you described.

I am finding the other position (the B chord with 4 or 8 lowered to Eb, and 6 lowered to F#) very useful in a lot of ways. The inherent problem is that string 6 becomes unison with stirng 7, and so 7 resonates. Muting is necessary, tho, I'm learning.

Buddy, if you're still reading: Did you find that, when you were dropping 7 to F with RKL, this resonating problem disappeared?

-dean-

[This message was edited by Dean Parks on 05 June 2005 at 11:32 PM.]

Buddy Emmons

Hermitage, TN USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2005 6:20 am    

Dean,
I don’t drop string 7 to F in normal use but I’ve found the example you speak of in other situations. Playing a string next to a string of the same frequency creates a sympathetic vibration in the dormant string. When my 9th string is tuned to C# and I play strings 6, 8, and 10 with pedals A and B down, releasing the pedals leaves a 6th interval resonating within the chord. Using the same strings and pedals with the 9th string tuned to D eliminates the problem.

[This message was edited by Buddy Emmons on 07 June 2005 at 05:47 AM.]

Dean Parks

Post  Posted 12 Jun 2005 12:57 pm    

In a related question (maybe deserving a new topic?), I've also been wondering about what I'd call "safety blocking", and "safety levering", meaning this:

When, for example, playing 6ths going up or down the neck on two separated strings (3 and 5?), with and without AB as needed:

Would you find yourself EITHER holding the silent middle string (string 4) just to ensure its silence, OR levering the appropriate voicing for it... just for safety?

Or do you rely on your right hand accuracy?

And if the answer is "all of the above", what percentage would you guess on each of the 3?

-dean-

[This message was edited by Dean Parks on 12 June 2005 at 02:01 PM.]

Dean Parks

Post  Posted 19 Jun 2005 7:04 pm    

^

Jerry Erickson

Atlanta,IL 61723
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2005 7:29 am    

Dean, I'd vote for right hand accuracy. This past weekend I've been watching Buddy on the Bell Cove dvd and he uses a lot of thumb and middle finger. Sure wish he'd play at the convention again.