The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Big "E" question
Franklin

Post  Posted 15 Oct 2004 3:44 pm    

Buddy,

I'd love to hear about any Jam sessions you had with Gary Burton or Garland. You know, the good back room jams.

Today, I dug out my old "Jazz Winds From A New Direction" CD and remembered your recording with Gary Burton at the Montreaux Jazz festival. That record is certainly a hallmark for Nashville cats stretching the limit.

Knowing where you were with Jazz, I imagine you and Garland were inseperable at the drop of an amp? That's a musical period I would have loved to witness. Perhaps you played in the alley when Garland and Dizzy jammed? Don't know? I have only heard rumours.

Thanks for any memories you feel like sharing.

Paul

Randy Mason

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2004 4:50 pm    

Great questions Paul! I would also like to know if Buddy has seen the very emotional film "THE GENIUS OF LENNY BREAU'. I can't describe how good it is. Lenny's daughter made it. I played it for Buddy Spicher and Terry Wedding who knew Lenny well and they also haven't stopped thinking about it.

Franklin

Post  Posted 15 Oct 2004 5:47 pm    

Randy,

How can I buy Lenny's documentary? Stuart Duncan had an advance copy. We watched bits and pieces of it between songs in LA. Its extremely well done and heartbreaking from what I remember.

Paul

Andy Zynda

Wisconsin
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2004 7:34 pm    

Please, please post some info on where I might get a copy of that film. Danny Gatton (my #1 hero) said Lenny was probably the best guitar player he ever heard. Beyond genius.
-andy-

Randy Mason

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2004 8:06 pm    

Paul, This site is the only one i've seen selling it. It says that it is sold out.I'm sure if you look on the web it could be found. I have never really looked anywhere else, it could be other places.

This is the site http://www.randybachman.com/index.php?choice=16&id=20011114103340

Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2004 12:00 am    

I've also seen that film and it's one of the best documentaries made of a musician. But back to the original topic, I'd also like to hear about the jam sessions at the Carousel. Wasn't it there during one of those nights, when Justin Tubb suggested that Buddy should do a "steel guitar jazz" album!?

Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 16 Oct 2004 4:17 am    

Paul, have you and Buddy E ever done a CD together? If not why not explore it? Jazz, country and anything else; better yet why not make it a DVD?

Buddy Emmons

Hermitage, TN USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2004 6:18 am    

There were occasions when Hank Garland and I played together, but the most memorable time was when Ferlin Husky brought Jimmy Bryant to Nashville. Jimmy Day and I set a jam session with Bryant at Ferlin's house and invited Hank. Being sandwiched between two guitar players of their caliber was an awesome experience, but unfortunately the night created bad blood between them, resulting in a heated discussion and near fight in the parking lot of a night club a few weeks later.

There were times in the Grand Ole Opry dressing rooms where Hank and I would play a jazz tune or two between Opry spots. He seemed fascinated with the steel guitar as a jazz instrument and would always grin when you played something he liked. He was the most revered musician in town and extremely busy in the studios, so anyone fortunate enough to lock horns with him considered it quite an honor. We always lost, but we always gained something from it.

I used to listen to Hank and Gary Burton at the Carousel but never thought of participating. I worked with Gary one time and that was on an album he recorded called Tennessee Firebird.

Jussi:
Justin Tubb was responsible for the Steel Guitar Jazz album but the jam sessions he attended were at places other than the Carousel.

Since Lenny Breau and Danny Gatton's names have been mentioned, I can say I've had the distinct honor of being intimidated by both of them at the same time at the Cellar Door in Washington DC. Lenny also sat in with us at a Redneck Jazz Explosion set at the New Pickin' Parlor in Nashville. Being on one of Lenny's last albums was also very special to me. Danny, Lenny, and Jimmy Bryant are gone now but working with them and Hank Garland has left me with wonderful memories and I thank you for allowing me to share a few.

Franklin

Post  Posted 16 Oct 2004 7:43 am    

Buddy,

You have had some of the best musical experiences ever. I hope you don't mind talking more about this era. I know you don't usually toot your own horn, but this Jazz area in Nashville's history sets you apart and also IMO above the rest in total musicality. I'm glad you stayed focused on the bigger musical picture along with Garland and a few others which has inspired players like myself to view the instrument differently then the typical one dimensional view. I still listen to your records and your playing like all true Jazz players is timeless.

Sorry, My memory was mistaken about the live in Montreaux record. It was the Tennessee Firebird record I was remembering. I never owned it, wish I did. What a musical challenge that must have presented to all involved. The concept of reharmonizing traditional country songs into heavily arranged Jazz pieces is monumental.

The stories I heard from various folks that witnessed a few of those Opry sessions said Garland loved your playing and that you were just as on fire. In fact the way I've heard it was, Garland inspired you and vice a versa into playing jazz beyond what everyone knew you two could play. If you can think of anything to tell us about the types of tunes? any recordings together? about the Firebird recording preperations? if any? I for one would love to hear about those kind of things or any of those secretly proud moments. I believe this forum would agree that its OK to toot when someone hands you the horn

Thanks for sharing,

Paul

rpetersen

Iowa
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2004 7:44 am    

Buddy - I've been a fan of yours forever and reading this only tells me you need to get your life story down on paper!!
Hope everthings going good at home.
Thanx for all!!

------------------
Ron Petersen &
The Keep'n Tyme Band
Mullen Universal 12 - 1975 Session 400 - Nashville 1000

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2004 7:59 am    

Absolutely great thread ,posts and participants.
What a fine day this is shaping up to be.

[This message was edited by Tommy White on 16 October 2004 at 09:00 AM.]

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2004 8:00 am    

Buddy,"AND" Paul on a jazz CD,It's too early in SC to think that deep.

I'd buy two copies, just in case one wore out.Steel Guitar Jazz,Minors Aloud,some of the "snippets" on Pauls website...YEEEHAAAAAAAA

Hey guys,if you ever do it please include Preacher, and Georgia.

BILL

Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2004 8:09 am    

Paul, Bear Family has released Tennessee Firebird on cd. I'm sure it can be obtained from some dealer in US. Hopefully it's still in print, it first came out some ten years ago. If I remember correct ( I don't have it myself either ) Buddy is doing Panhandle Rag on the cd. I've never seen the album anywhere, not sure if the tune is on that, the cd has some unreleased cuts.
One of my favorite Nashville cats' jazz projects has always been the old RCA-album "After The Riot At Newport". It just bugs me, that they didn't call for Buddy Emmons for that project! Would've been great to hear steel on "Relaxin", "Riot Chous" and "Opus De Funk"

[This message was edited by Jussi Huhtakangas on 16 October 2004 at 09:10 AM.]

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2004 8:59 am    

Man I'm lovin' this thread!

James Lutz

Wisconsin
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2004 9:25 am    

...just when I thought I couldn't possibly respect these two any more, this thread opens even more respect for these two giants...what a great question, what interesting response, keep it coming fellers, as your time allows.

Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2004 9:31 am    

The original Tennessee Firebird contained 12 tracks , the CD`s got 13
; Panhandle Rag being the (only) unreleased track . I bought my copy through Amazon about 3-4 years ago. Just checked, it`s still available at 20.98 and 4-6 weeks delivery.

------------------
Olli Haavisto
Polar steeler
Finland
oharvester@hotmail.com

Bob Wood

Madera, California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2004 10:20 am    

I agree..., great thread! I too am intrested in hearing such great stories, and have a few of my own, such as the time that my roommate and I flew back to Nashville to place my order for my first ever Franklin guitar. We were at the Ernest Tubb record store one Saturday night, and Buddy was up on stage playing someone elses guitar. On his way out, he passed right by me. I was able to get his attention, and he stopped to talk with me and my roommate. We talked for short time, then when he left, we watched him go out to parking lot, and jump into a long white Cadillac and was gone. That little chance encounter with him made my milliminum! Thanks Buddy!

Bob

Jeff Lampert

queens, new york city
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2004 10:53 am    

Quote:
Since Lenny Breau and Danny Gatton’s names have been mentioned, I can say I’ve had the distinct honor of being intimidated by both of them

Buddy, if YOU of all people are intimidated, then what chance is there for the rest of us who aspire to be steel jazz players? In NYC, there are monster sax players, guitarists, and pianists around every corner, any of which can blow the roof off a club. How do you recommend playing traditional jazz with these "incredible hulk" type players? Any insight you might provide is very much appreciated. .. Jeff

------------------
[url=http://www.mightyfinemusic.com/jeff's_jazz.htm]Jeff's Jazz[/url]

Fred Jack

Bastrop, Texas 78602
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2004 11:04 am    

Jeff, The best you can! Regards, Fred

Greg Derksen

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2004 1:40 pm    

Mr Franklin asking Mr Emmons about the coolest Jams imaginable, WOW!, This is as good as it Gets, Buddy and Paul your stories
are important, Thanx for posting, Greg

Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 16 Oct 2004 3:24 pm    

Danny Gatton was one heck of a nice, down to earth guy. I remember him talking about Buddy at the Cellar Door. I, unfortunately, missed all that as I was too busy selling doggone it. Danny seemed to take it all in stride. I still wonder if he knew just how good he was.

Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 16 Oct 2004 3:36 pm    

One more remark, Paul and Buddy; I hope you two will consider doing a video or DVD together. Just think of the missed opportunities regarding some the greats of the past. I don't want to come across as pessimistic but some have passed on and it's hard to find much on video. Now there is so much equipment etc. to do video recordings and preserve some of your talent for others to enjoy. I collect not only for my enjoyment, but to pass it on to our grandchildren. Maybe something similar to the format to the video done by Lloyd Green and Tommy White?

Roy Ayres

Riverview, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2004 4:30 pm    

Just in case you guys didn't catch my posts a few month ago about Hank, there are a couple of pictures you might want to view in the Photo Album of my website at

Hank Garland Then and Now

Scroll down to the third row of pictures and click on the first two in that row for an enlarged view of Hank then and now.

Hank and I were good friends back in the 40's and 50's and I visit him every now and then, as he lives about an hour away from me in Florida. You are right in that he really liked steel. His memory has faded, but he still remembers and talks about Don Davis, who preceeded me with the Golden West Cowboys and was one of Hank's favorites.

------------------

Visit my Web Site at RoysFootprints.com
Browse my Photo Album and be sure to sign my Guest Book.

[This message was edited by Roy Ayres on 16 October 2004 at 05:44 PM.]

Bill cole

Cheektowaga, New York, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2004 4:59 pm    

Now this is what this forum is for great stuff . And if anyone wants to be inspired sit down and work on Minors Aloud by Lenny and the King

Jerry Clardy

El Paso, Texas, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2004 5:05 pm    

This is a really great thread!