The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mr. Smooth "Rides" Again
John Pelz

Kettering, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2005 6:49 pm    

I recently got two CDs by Bill Stafford -- "A New Look At Some Of My Favorites" and "Two Southern Gentlemen Play Steel Guitar" (with Herby Wallace) -- and just wanted to say that if you want to hear steel guitar at its finest, then these CDs are for you! I'm enjoying the heck out of them myself.

Frankly, though, in the week or so that I've had them, I'm still stuck on the first one I opened, "A New Look..." Bill's technique and tone on this one is so smooth & masterful that it's just an absolute pleasure to listen to -- over and over and over... He is called "Mr. Smooth" for a reason, after all! The song selection is great, but what really sticks in my mind as I write this is his arrangement of the good old "Steel Guitar Rag." On this rendition, Bill takes this classic places to which I've never heard it taken. A great, uptempo, jazzed-up version that just cooks like mad! If you want to hear SGR like you've never heard it, then you need to check out this version.

Haven't had as much of a chance yet to listen to "Two Southern Gentlemen," but I have listened to it a bit, and the interplay between Herby & Bill is quite something to hear. Based on what I've heard so far, I have to say that these master players bring out the best in each other on this CD. I just love their ultra-swinging rendition of "I Left My Heart In San Francisco," which I never thought I'd hear played on steel guitar, much less like this!

Something that speaks volumes about the music on these CDs is that they pass the "Mom-test." I had these playing in my car last week, when I was taking my mom out to dinner, and she liked what she heard right away. Mom isn't a steel player or anything like that -- she was just responding to the overall sound of the music on these CDs -- and I thought it rather telling that she responded so favorably so quickly after hearing this music.

Anyhow, if you want to hear two Forumites playing some steel like nobody's business, then I wholeheartedly recommend picking up "Two Southern Gentlemen Play Steel Guitar" and "A New Look At Some Of My Favorites." Great, great music!

Roland Buras

Kiln, MS, 45 miles east of New Orleans off I-10 USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2005 9:27 pm    

John you or absolutely right Bill is one of the finest palyers in the Business.I also have a copy of those CD's and they speak very loud in the world of Professionals. Bill is Not only a pro Smoothie Steel player' also a great Gentleman. i count it a pleasure to be a neighbor of Bill's and enjoy his kind of playing first hand. Of course all the sound you hear coming from that steel starts every morning about 6:30 am till. many mornings i drop by bill's on my way to daily duties set up my guitar neck to neck and try to learn as much as i can. What is so great he enjoys showing what he has accomplished with great expectations that you or me will pick it up and continue on. forumites you owe it to yourself and the instrument to get a copy of the two cd's. Thanks Bill

Roland Buras
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Excel SD12 8x5

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2005 7:05 am    

Bill Stafford , "Mr. Smooth", is one of my Favorite Steel players. He is one of the best and a really great guy and gentleman.

I like Bill and I'll have to get those new CD's to add to my collection....al

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/

Howard Tate

Leesville, Louisiana, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2005 6:11 pm    

Bill is such a great player, I'm glad he is such a nice person too. I'm very impressed that he has a unique sound. Listening to him made me stop trying to sound like Emmons, or anyone else. Of course, if I could sound like Emmons or Bill I'd be tickled pink.

------------------
Howard, 'Les Paul Recording, Zum S12U, Vegas 400, Boss ME-5, Boss DM-3
http://www.Charmedmusic.com

Roland Buras

Kiln, MS, 45 miles east of New Orleans off I-10 USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2005 10:52 pm    

Howard ' Or you coming to the Gulfport show Saturday? Hope so, be glad to see you again.

R J Buras

Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2005 4:33 am    

Thanks so much from all of you wonderful folks. Having passed the "MOM test" from Mrs Pelz, I am most honored. That "award" sits right along side my "Jerry Byrd Lifetime Achievement Award". MOMS are where its at folks-without them, none of us would love our steel guitars. I am most thankful. Thanks John Pelze for your encouragement.
We are looking forward to Howard on our stage this Saturday, along with R.J. and his family of great talent. Hopefully we will be able to arrange for Buck and David Easley and R.J. to join SERA's group for some of the best Cajun music every heard anywhere on this planet. See you all Sat.
Thanks so much again to all.

Bill Stafford

John Pelz

Kettering, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2005 7:01 am    

I hope you all have a good time at the Gulfport show on Saturday. Sounds like it'd be pretty hard not to! And thanks again, Bill, for all the great music -- it really is a joy to listen to.

Howard Tate

Leesville, Louisiana, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2005 11:27 am    

Roland, I'm still planning to be there, I'm a little bit down with a bug but hope to be good by the weekend. I would hate to miss it.

Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2005 4:02 am    

Howard, hope you can make it. Have you on the program at 1:30.
talked with Pee Wee Calhoun yesterday. He will get in from OK City around noon on friday.
The Friday Night frolic we usually have at my house will be moved over to R.J. Buras's new Lakeside Catfish Restaurant. First thing R.J. did when he took over this restaurant was to build a nice band stand. Music on Fri and Sat evenings while you dine. See you there..Hopefully...

Bill Stafford