The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Six Feet of Snow
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2005 4:02 pm    

Actually a real cool song by Little Feat loaded with some wild over the top steel by Pete Klienow,with that VERY unusual Fender out of phasey sound prominently displayed,but also it is Todays weather forecast for MANY guys on this forum!!! bob

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2005 5:29 pm    

It was in the winter of '73, not far from where members Joe Miraglia and Doug Seymour live. We had a flat tire on the van at 3:00 AM, temperature around 0 degrees F.

We fought the jack, trying to get it under the van to the proper point on the axle and open it. The snow crept between my parka and my neck as I shimmied my way under the van.

The lug bolts were frozen, and rusted, but finally gave way after much stomping on the lug wrench. God, I hated that experience with a passion. We finally got the tire changed and got home.

To use an old cliche, in '74 I picked up my snow shovel and started walking. When I get to a place where someone says, "What's that," that's where I'm gonna live.

I now live an hour from the pacific ocean.

Snow people, you can have it. I am long done with it.

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2005 5:57 pm    

Yep, it's comming down like crazy here too. I love it though. I hope that the snow comes up to my window sill.

I live on the 22nd floor.....

Webb Kline

Bloomsburg, PA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2005 7:10 pm    

Comin through my radio

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2005 7:21 pm    

I despise it now,.... although I had a very nice home at the Jersey Shore,in 1991 I picked up and moved my family here to upstate NY,for NO GOOD REASON... and now at 50, I am paying dearly for that really stupid mistake.

It causes problems with the wife as she likes the nice log cabin we live in. but I am going crazy here 7 months of every year. I NEED to get out before I lose my mind.. I get severe depression every single winter here. Its not just the cold and snow here, but this part of the country seldom sees ANY sunshine at all during Nov.-March.. really depressing living in this dark icy place.... bob

John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2005 11:45 pm    

One of the few reasons that keeps me here in Nashville is it's very copeable weather. Most of the undesireable weather either passes North or South of the city. Although we have light-snow tonight, (just enough to let everyone remember what it is) generally; the weather is nice here the year-round! I have no desire to ever move again! The other reason is the reasonable distance to other musicians! What more could anyone want?

------------------
“Big John” Bechtel

John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2005 11:46 pm    

One of the few reasons that keeps me here in Nashville is it's very copeable weather. Most of the undesireable weather either passes North or South of the city. Although we have light-snow tonight, (just enough to let everyone remember what it is) generally; the weather is nice here the year-round! I have no desire to ever move again! The other reason is the reasonable distance to other musicians! What more could anyone want? I lived in Pa. from ’37 ’til ’67!

------------------
“Big John” Bechtel

Egil Skjelnes

Meland,Frekhaug
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2005 3:50 am    

Hello
We also played this tune back in the 70`s with our country rock band "Flying Norwegians".And I came to think about this song right now ,sitting here after shoveling away at least 1 foot of snow.My arms and back is aching! Come spring!!!
Egil.

Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2005 4:27 am    

You're so right John. The thermometer on the back porch is reading 10 degrees this morning but by Tomorrow we'll be back in the 40's or 50's. Nashville has almost everything for me. Some of the best fishing anywhere in the country and only 30 minutes from the house, and plenty of country music and various other kinds of music mixed in. If we had some decent bird hunting here, it would be ideal.

Larry Robbins

Fort Edward, New York
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2005 4:36 am    

35 to 40 mph winds and about 18 plus inches of that nasty white stuff this morning!
Ccccccoooolllddd! send lawyers,guns and money!

------------------
Sho-Bud ProII, Pro III custom,
Fender Steelking,Hilton pedal,Tut Taylor "Virginian"

Doug Seymour

Jamestown NY USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2005 5:09 am    

It's 2 degrees here this morning......I'm going to Florida on Thursday to see if it's warmer there. Guess it probably is. It snowed all day yesterday here in western NY, but I'd guess the ski fans are happy! I spent the afternoon enjoying a video of a steel jam!

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2005 6:25 am    

I have no idea what the outside temp is. I haven't been outside since I came home from work Fri eve.

I look outside and there is hardly anyone, except some kids that are playing in the snow. How do they do that? Don't they know it's cold?

Well, I've got some smoked ribs that I froze, some hearty homemade soup, and some red wine......and that's just for breakfast!

I've got a lot of good music, guitars that are staring at me to tickle them, and some concert videos.

There's only one thing I'm missing here.

Ah, come to think of it, I'm glad she lives cross town......

[This message was edited by HowardR on 23 January 2005 at 08:04 AM.]

Ernie Pollock

Mt Savage, Md USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2005 6:44 am    

I guess we had about 4 to 7" of this new snow storm yesterday, I took advantage of the weather too clean & polish all the metal on my Diller S-12U, finally got all those little pieces in the keyless unit cleaned & shined. So the snow was a good thing here!!
I bet I was not the only one polishing up there steel guitar yesterday!!
With a nice snow storm, its liked they 'called off the world for just a day'.

Ernie Pollock now the shoveling begins!

------------------

John McGann

Boston, Massachusetts, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2005 6:44 am    

Love that Little Feat tune!

I went to "Sunny Florida" last year in Feb. to escape the winter, and the wind chill was 40 degrees...no beach fun there!

I went to Nashville in the summer and the heat and humidity was ridiculous. We get a bit of that up here too now and then but not 4 months in a row. 40+ inches by tonight. 6-8 foot drifts. Nice and cold, too.

You snow haters be sure to check out the Weather Channel today to see what you are missing up here. This is the record breaker; they said for a few hours today we'll get 8 INCHES AN HOUR.

Weather is fun, but unless you live in Hawaii, you are gonna have some kinda complaint! If you ain't dodging hurricanes or tornadoes, Texas floods, dust storms or whatever, you are probably dealing with something fun from above.

Wait, even Hawaii gets weather trouble now and again..

No snow plow here-I can skip the gym for a day or two shoveling. Good for the circulation, like chopping wood!

[This message was edited by John McGann on 23 January 2005 at 06:51 AM.]

[This message was edited by John McGann on 23 January 2005 at 06:51 AM.]

[This message was edited by John McGann on 23 January 2005 at 06:56 AM.]

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2005 8:52 am    

Here in Michigan, we just had 12 inches of blowing drifting snow.

It is almost Zero on my deck outside...BUT the Sun is shining brightly and it is beautiful out.

The air is Fresh and pure. I like the 4 seasons here but I could do without a couple months of winter.......al

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/

Bill Myrick

Pea Ridge, Ar. (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2005 3:03 pm    

What's it like in Reno ?? I heard they had 4 feet of snow ??

Gene H. Brown

Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2005 9:47 pm    

Well Guys, I'm not bragging, I'm complaining. I live way up north in the Yukon and It is either -45 below zero or snowing for seven months of the year and is dark most of the time. It never used to bother me when I was younger, but I find myself getting more and more depressed as the years go by and I get older.
My wife is from New Zealand and I have 3 more years before retirement and I think I might just go over there and look Winnie Winston up and do some pickin. I would like to see some sunshine in my life before I cash in and that would be the place to go for that and I'm sure if Winnie see's this he can vouch for that.
Gene

------------------
If You Keep Pickin That Thing, It'll Never Heal!
;)

Ken Thompson

Great Falls, Montana, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2005 6:58 am    

You all certainly have colder, and in some cases, warmer weather. But how about a 90 degree turnaround in 24 hours. We went from near 30 below to 60 above in a day. That's Montana for you.

Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2005 7:27 am    

Now when people ask how can you live in AZ in the summer. We do not have to shovel sunshine.

70 on Tue - cold front came in and only 65 yesterday with rain - looks like 60's for the rest of the 10 day forcast (THAT'S COLD)

I know why I do not live up where the snow is - if I want snow I drive 1 1/2 hours to Flagstaff (and up 6,000+ feet in elevation) and could go skin' if I did that but could come back to the valley that night.

No Breggs & Stratten engines in my life and lovin' it.

From the valley of the Sun

------------------
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix)Desert Rose Guitar, Southwest Steel Guitar Association, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Association

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2005 5:38 am    

"Six Feet of Snow" is a great Little Feat song. Speaking of balmy weather, here are the conditions for Alert, Nunavut, Canada (the most northerly city in Canada):

Weather report as of 35 minutes ago (13:00 UTC):
The wind was blowing at a speed of 3.6 meters per second (8.1 miles per hour) from North in Alert, Canada. The temperature was -31 degrees Celsius (-24 degrees Fahrenheit). Air pressure was 990 hPa (29.24 inHg). Relative humidity was 61.1%. The sky was clear. The visibility was 19.3 kilometers (12.0 miles).

Break out the bathing suits, it's time to go to the beach!!

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn