The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel player
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2005 6:54 pm    

Is there a steel player in David Allan Coe's band? Brett, Emmons S-10, Morrell lapsteel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Eddie Thomas

Macon,Ga.,USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2005 7:33 pm    

No, he doesn't have a steel player. Instead he has a loud distorted guitar player. I've seen him 4 or 5 times at various biker festivals and he's not had a steel in band. Of course, he doesn't do much country anyway. Hope this helps.

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2005 4:55 am    

What is going on here? Brett is asking us a question? Brett, you are a great young man and you have answered many questions here on the forum. I look forward to meeting you and hearing you play. I have never seen David Allen Coe with a steel player that I can remember.

Roy Ayres

Riverview, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2005 9:53 am    

Brett’s question just goes to prove he is the steel guitar expert we all know him to be ; he doesn’t even mess with bands that don’t have a steel.

------------------

Visit my Web Site at RoysFootprints.com
Browse my Photo Album and be sure to sign my Guest Book.

Mike Richardson

Rutledge, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2005 10:15 am    

Hey Bret...I know you can hear some steel on some of his older stuff.David's music is a little on the wild side and if he had a steel player it would probly be someone like Joe Wright.

Mike Richardson

Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2005 4:48 am    

I know the drummer in the band and as far as I know they don't carry a steel player. I was asked once in the 80's to play a gig with them but Coe had screwed everybody I know out of his money that worked for him including the non band members so I refused. I've never been a DAC fan anyway.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2005 6:51 am    

My friend "Diamond Jim Richmond" played with David back in the day. He played pedal Steel and Dobro on most the stuff he recorded.
Jim lives in Dallas and plays with Tommy Alverson and also fronts his own show.
Ricky

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2005 7:43 am    

Brett, my great little buddy, I am not in David's band and never have been, and I hope I never have to be, however, I did produce three of his major CDs and played steel on them all.
Byrd Burton on lead guitar, Bunky Kiels on piano, Karl Himmel on Drs, several others, I don't remember who I hired on the rest of the instruments. it was several years ago. The studio was my "Wolf Lair" studio in Hendersonville. The company (Record Label) was "SUN RECORDS", Nashville.
I know these CDs sold well and are still selling. I got credit for the steel parts, but David listed himself as producer on the CD! Can you imagine that? He sure was a strange one to try to control during the session.

bobbe

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2005 1:04 pm    

Hey, Bobbe, I was going to find out if David had a steel player in his band because another steel player e-mailed me, wanting to know if David had steel in his band. Brett, Emmons S-10, Morrell lapsteel, GFI Ultra D-10
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Dean Dobbins

Rome, Ilinois, U.S.A. * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2005 7:01 pm    

I heard his L.P. album that was sold "under the counter", and one of his sons purportedly (how do you like that word?) was playing steel on it. Wasn't too bad, either.

------------------
Dino