The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  More Jerry Garcia madness
Jeff Lampert

queens, new york city
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2005 2:57 pm    

It just kills everyone that Garcia, a self- admitted NON-player, played the most famous steel ride in history. Rather than shaking their fists at the moon, it probably would behoove many players (including myself) to figure out what it is that Garcia had that allowed an untechnical player to do a single solo that left him the kind of global legacy that has eluded most all the great players with hundreds of recordings under their belt. This world is a funny place.

------------------
[url=http://www.mightyfinemusic.com/jeff's_jazz.htm]Jeff's Jazz[/url]

John McGann

Boston, Massachusetts, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2005 3:13 pm    

how can you NOT like The Shaggs?!?!?

------------------
http://www.johnmcgann.com
Info for musicians, transcribers, technique tips and fun stuff. Joaquin Murphey transcription book, Rhythm Tuneup DVD and more...

Archie Nicol

Ayrshire, Scotland
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2005 4:09 pm    

Jeff; `The most famous steel guitar ride in history`. You're just looking for a reaction.
Oops, I've reacted.

Jim Phelps

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2005 4:16 pm    

I think Jeff Lampert and Dave Grafe have nailed it. Still, I do understand Mike's frustration with the ignorance of the morons on the guitar site. You can try to convince & educate them, but it usually reminds me of the old saying, "you can try to teach a pig to sing but you'll only waste your time and annoy the pig".

[This message was edited by Jim Phelps on 24 January 2005 at 04:17 PM.]

Joe Shelby

Walnut Creek, California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2005 6:41 pm    

FWIW, Jerry was featured in a cover story for
Guitar Player magazine in the early to mid-
'70's (remember how much attention pedal steel guitar got in that magazine back then?
It was a
beautiful thing...). He spoke about dropping playing steel (for the reasons already mentioned here). He was asked who his favorite (steel) players were, and the answer? Lloyd Green and Buddy Emmons.
Mike, if you had copy of this issue, you might have cut and pasted that into your reply to the "shredder" guy...Maybe it would have opened an eye or two, maybe not.

Bill Llewellyn

San Jose, CA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2005 8:46 pm    

Quote:
Garcia, a self- admitted NON-player, played the most famous steel ride in history.
For me, as far as famous rides go, Dan Dougmore hit the top with his solo on Blue Bayou. I like Jerry's work on TYC and was asked to imitate it (mostly) on a studio track. But I'm not sure there's any way of really knowing whose work has made it to being the most famous ride in history. Maybe that's a good topic for another thread.

Sunny Callen

Las Vegas NV USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2005 10:44 pm    

Well, I DO have a number of his neckties. . . .

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2005 11:01 am    

I think Jeff's meaning with the "most famous ride" comment was that between multiple-platinum sales of the Deja Vu album and the extensive and continuing airplay, grocery store play, etc. of "TYC," that one song has been heard by MILLIONS of people and will continue to be heard by millions more for some time to come.

"Famous" or not, no traditional country OR western song has ever come close to receiving that level of exposure (regardless of whether or not the audience knows what it is hearing).

dg

[This message was edited by Dave Grafe on 26 January 2005 at 11:04 AM.]

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2005 11:10 am    

A letter came into the store today addressed only to: "The world's greatest steel player". Bobbe said "this isn't for me" and told the mail man to "send it to Doug Jernigan". Jernigan said "this letter isn't for me, I'm not the greatest steel player in the world, send it to Buddy Emmons". Buddy got the letter and said, "yep, this is for me alright", opened it, and the first line said, "Dear Jerry Garcia------------>

Brandella Moxie,

Receptionist: Steel Guitar Nashville
123 Mid Town Ct.
Hendersonville Tn. 37075

615 822 5555