The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Poor sound quality, beautiful notes
Bruno Rasmussen

Svendborg, Denmark
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2004 4:25 am    

Present, and in the archives of Forum, there are arrays of interesting discussions concerning tone.
- I have old records that I love listening to. Records with rather noisy and poor sound quality, but the musicians are playing some very beautiful and interesting notes. Hmmmm.

/Bruno

David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2004 7:55 am    

My Dad had a collection of classical records that started with old 78s and that he had updated with some new HiFi stereo LPs. For some pieces he had both versions, but for certain pieces would only listen to the old scratchy 78s. When I asked him why, he said, "Toscanini conducts on those."

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2004 8:23 am    

Bruno, there is a lot of not-too-expensive software available that allows you to clean-up old records using your computer, and to burn the music onto cds. Might be worth your looking into it. Wish I could remember the name of the company, but,,,,,,just do a computer search, or maybe someone here will know.
Best, JB

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2004 8:53 am    

Listening to old recordings requires that you either ignore the sound quality or learn to like it. For me the older recordings have more character and a warm "brown" sound that I have learned to love. Modern recordings have entirely too much detail and sound harsh and unnatural. They rely heavily on post production effects and processing and I can hardly listen to most of them. Recordings from the late 50's to early 60's seem to have achieved the right balance of clarity and warmth, in my humble opinion.

Greg Vincent

Folsom, CA USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2004 9:09 am    

It's kinda neat how old, lo-fi recordings sound like they're "struggling" to reach you. Almost like they're stretching out across the void to try to make contact with you.

Somehow I like that.

-GV

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2004 10:38 am    

Very nice, Greg!

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2004 10:53 am    

A lot of mono classical recordings from the 50's are being reissued on CD. The orchestras used state-of-the-art recording techniques back then, and the results were quite spectacular.

As for country records, the nuances of those "live in the studio" recordings, where everyone was on edge when the red light was on, can't be duplicated in today's record factories. Today, recordings are built like houses, from the foundation (rhythm section) on up. Often musicians don't play together, and sometimes they don't even meet face-to-face. It loses something, that's for sure.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs, Open Hearts
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (C6add9),
Sierra Laptop 8 (E6add9), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6),
Roland Handsonic, Line 6 Variax

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2004 3:05 pm    

Quote:
The orchestras used state-of-the-art recording techniques back then, and the results were quite spectacular.

I think "state-of-the-art" back in the '50s and early '60s was 4 tracks, 4 microphones, and a splicer! (LOL!) Most of the "teen rock" hits from that era were done with even less!

You're right about one thing, Bob. Recordings today aren't made, they're "assembled".

Johnny Baldwin

Long Beach, California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2004 6:38 pm    

I use the software called "Cool Edit Pro" to clean up noisy recordings. You can get rid of the hiss, crackle and pops on older recordings. I connect my turntable or tape recorder directly into my computer mike jack, record the song and then edit the noise out utilizing the software. The great thing about this software is there are a number of pre-sets so you don't have to be a techno wiz to perform the necessary cleanups. I then burn a CD of the album or track and it sounds like when the artist originally recorded it.

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2004 7:22 pm    

If you invest in a record cleaning machine then you will be amazed at how much of the static and such can be removed from the sound of records. A cleaning solution is spread over the record and I take a fine wide bristle brush and clean the grooves in a circular motion. Then I flip the record over and turn on the vacumn and let the machine pull out all the crap out of the grooves. Even a brand new unplayed record needs to be cleaned to remove the chemicals used to break the bond of the record from the master press.
Records are cool!