The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What is your favorite type of music............
Mark Metdker

North Central Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2004 9:54 am    

...to play steel guitar to?

Ballads

4/4 shuffle

Jazz/swing

or anything else. I would have to say I like playing to ballads. The steel seems to fill those types of songs with a lot of emotion. what do ya'll think?

Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2004 9:58 am    

Cheatin' songs...

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2004 11:04 am    

In order of priority:

Steel guitar music by most of the greats. My all time favorite steel guitar recordings are:

1. "La Golendrina" by Jerry Byrd (on his HIFI album in the 50's)

2. "Once Upon a Time in the West" by Buddy Emmons (when he recorded it at Scotty's at the ISGC in '77)

Traditional Country. (NOT what they call country today). But ONLY if it uses a steel guitar. If not, I will not listen to it a second time. The same goes for a "token" steel guitar in a recording.

Jazz. LOVE it as long as (it's not progressive; melody must be there regardless of the embellishment). Jamming does nothing for me.

A pianist playing compositions like Chopin's "Polynaise in Ab", DeBussey's "Claire de lune" and "Home" (by I don't know who) without accompanyment.

Classical. (Heavy dissonant classical music I do not care for). Can't stand showtime music like Erving Berlin composed. "Claire de Lune" is my favorite classical composition. Add to this "Canon in D" by Pacalbel as recorded by BE on the PSG.

Light Opera. (Luciano Pavorotti and Joan Sutherland being my all time favorites) But Sarah Brightman is fast takin' over! wow!

Southern Gospel (some of it I do NOT like, IE, the hoopin and hollerin stuff). All time favorite group was the Hinsons. Especially that angelic voice from heaven perfomed by that young female singer who was not a Hinson, Paula Hawkins I seem to recall was her name.

Dixieland. (Hated it as a kid, now love it)

Cajun. Just love it. (Bands like Bo Solei keep me spell bound). I could watch them all night.

Live Army Drum and Bugle corps marching music. BUT it must be live. NO recording device on earth can capture the dynamics and timbre of this incredible live music IMO.

Scottish bakepipe music. (As long as it is not too much at any one time )

A few (I mean a few) Rock and folk stuff; like "Proud Mary", "I Can See Clearly Now". "Don't Step on my Blue Suede Shoes" and "Heartbreak Hotel" by Elvis. "Knock Three Times on the Ceiling". "Margueritaville" by Jimmy Buffet (as long as his vocal attributes are limited to singing). Also, that "Brown LA haze" number.

That Bellamy Bros hit that I can't ever remember the name. "Mrs Robinson". That's about it though. Cannot stand 99% of all Rock and folk. Modern day "country", Rock And rap is not even music to me.

My all time favorite "rock" is "Speedo" by the Cadillacs. I would give almost ANY thing to get a hold of that original recording.

Finally, while I hated it as a kid, I now love the old Big Band music (most of it anyway) and old songs sung by Bing Crosby, Perry Como, Nat King Cole, and many others performers. My favorite non country/opera female singer is Barbara Streisand. (IF she limits her vocal attributes to singing ).

My favorite popular song was "True Love" sung by Bing Crosby and Grace Kelly.

I believe that Nat King Cole was the greates black singer ever. I could listen to him forever.

carl

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2004 11:19 am    

I like to play to any kind of music that has soul, conviction, a nice sense of "groove", in tune, not too loud, with players who are as good or better than I am, and who are also pulling for each other to excel and to make the magic happen.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2004 11:30 am    

60's and 70's Country Rock with Steel!

Joerg Hennig

Bavaria, Germany
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2004 11:39 am    

Everything I play is among my favorites. First, and fortunately, the kind of music I play with my band. 70s hippie country rock like NRPS (with Cage of course), Texas outlaw country like Waylon (especially when Mooney played on it), Bakersfield stuff and some rockabilly and some new "alternative country" - everything as long as it´s not mainstream. In addition, at home by myself, I like to play along with 60s honky tonk and country jazz like the Texas Troubadours, my all time favorites - by now I play pretty much all the instrumentals that Charleton played on. (Yeah, I figured out "Rhodes Bud Boogie" too.) But in order to do those with the band, we first would have to find a lead guitar player who can dig it.
I´m not really much of a ballad player.

Regards, JH

[This message was edited by Joe Henry on 10 June 2004 at 12:41 PM.]

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2004 12:19 pm    

What Rick said - playing with good players!

I got called for a gig here in Naples a couple of months back - it was a Golf Club dance, and the bandleader couldn't get a pianist. It's to his credit that he had the imagination to book a steel-player!

All the guys I met that night were top-drawer musicians, and we played almost everything (except country music, incidentally); I hadn't had as much fun for years, and haven't had as much fun since....

RR

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2004 2:52 pm    

Roger-I would have enjoyed that too. I played with quite a few bands that couldn't get a piano player, no country either. So join the club......al

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/

Chris Lasher

Blacksburg, VA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2004 3:05 pm    

Gangsta rap.

Andy Alford

Post  Posted 10 Jun 2004 3:13 pm    

The type that is to country for most that is full of crying steel guitars and sadness.The sounds of Hank Williams with Don Helms ,Johnny Bush,E.Tubb,Hank Snow,Webb Pierce, Faron Young,Wilburn Brothers,Carl Smith,Red Sovine,Eddy with Little Roy Wiggins ,Hank Penny,George Jones,Paycheck, and Ray Price.

Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2004 3:51 pm    

Live.

EJL

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2004 4:18 pm    

Carl said...99% of all Rock and folk. Modern day "country", Rock And rap is not even music to me.

Truer words were never spoken, anything slow, so I can sorta think ahead,the older you get the slower you/I get.

Bill

Jennings Ward

Edgewater, Florida, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2004 6:30 pm    

Oh yes, WHAT CARL SAID, PLUS,: Anything that does not have a BANGER PLAYING, worst sound ever. abagpipe with a capo would sound better or the squeel of a stuck pig, perrish the thought..... 10,000 Banger players and 10,000 lawyers chained togeather at the bottom of the sea, a good start..... jennings

Terry Edwards

Florida... livin' on spongecake...
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2004 7:46 pm    

Carl,

What about BLUEGRASS? Bluegrass/gospel?

Alison Krauss?

t

Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2004 1:27 am    

Quote:
Gangsta rap.

Chris,you gotta be S#*ttin'!! The key word here is MUSIC!!,not noise! That's like sayin'
"My favorite music is 747's,flyin' over the house,at 100 feet,& hydraulic jack hammers, diggin' up the street,in front of my house"!!

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© It don't mean a thang,
mm if it ain't got that twang.
www.ntsga.com

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2004 5:08 am    

They say there are many categorys of music. But any musician should be able to understand there are realy only two ........Good or bad... It's up to any player to latch onto one or the other. But if they made it too easy, anyone could do it.

------------------

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2004 9:42 am    

Terry,

I include bluegrass in "traditional country music". And, I LUUUUUUUV Allison Krauss. My all time favorites were of course, Flatt and Scruggs.

I do resent however blue grass "per se" refusing to use more modern versions of the steel guitar. I have never seen ANY problem with using the likes of a Doug Jernigan (and others) on PSG in a BG scenario. They could cut it just as well as most any Dobro player, IMO. (Not to take anything away from Jerry Doulglass or Mike Aldridge).

With the advent of pedals, I believe they could emulate precisely ANY thing the best fiddler could do and still sound like it was bluegrass.

Thanks for asking,

carl

Derek Duplessie

La Jolla CA USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2004 10:20 am    

Blues, Folk-Rock, country, rock/pop, soul, and
I love playing old celtic hymns!
-Derek

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2004 10:45 am    

Practicing at home, I play rock, country, gospel, western swing and new age. On the bandstand I play whatever they throw at me.

I'm not any good at bluegrass, though, and I really don't care for it. Same with cajun. I think you have to like the music to get good at playing it. I can really get into the Bakersfield sound or LA country-rock.

I don't bother with jazz even though I like it, because I feel that you have to be really dedicated to it to play it right, and I'm not. I used to try, but I was never remotely happy with the results.

I stumble through some simple classical stuff at home, too. Nothing I'd attempt in public, though.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs, Open Hearts
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (C6add9),
Sierra Laptop 8 (E6add9), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6),
Roland Handsonic, Line 6 Variax

Jennings Ward

Edgewater, Florida, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2004 2:02 pm    

Smiley, I have an extra sawed off double barrell that I'll loan you, if you want to go cRAP shootin. I'm ready and willing to help.... sincerly....... jennings

Chris Lasher

Blacksburg, VA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2004 2:57 pm    

Oh, come on, Smiley and Jennings. Gangsta rap is loads of fun to play steel guitar to...