The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  re; Suite Steel
thurlon hopper

Elizabethtown Pa. USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2004 4:37 pm    

I too remember too the great job on Yesterday, and as always everything Buddy played sounded out of this world to a guy
just trying to get started on psg. Down On
The Corner also gave me bumps. Sure wish i
could get a copy of that album as someone borrowed mine and forgot to return it. That
album will be stamped on my heart as long
as i live and breathe. Thanks so much for the reply Buddy and will be looking forward to seeing and hearing you again. TJH

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2004 4:47 pm    

Thurlon,
That LP comes up on eBay fairly frequently. Keep an eye out and I'm sure you'll get a copy before long.

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2004 8:09 am    

I'm with you, Thurlon, the day I got Suite Steel I played "Wichita Lineman" about 70 times... bought a steel and joined a band the same day. It's funny that one tune can change your life. Thanks, Buddy!

------------------
Stop by the Steel Store at: www.markvanallen.com

Tom Moorman

Decatur, GA USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2004 9:01 am    

Mark,

Your version of Wichita Lineman ain’t too bad either.

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2004 9:47 am    

From what I understand, ANY version of ANY song is not bad by Mark. He is truly talented I am told. I would love to hear him one day.

carl

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2004 12:44 pm    

Me too, Mark! I sort-of knew what steel was back then, but when I heard that track I knew that I had to get one for myself.

I guess that 'E' started a lot of us off on this journey...

Roger R.

PS: Your name was in the programme when I went to see Vince Gill the other night in connection with the support act, Sugarland' - you were described as a 'veteran'!

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2004 8:40 am    

Thanks for the props, guys. The version of "Wichita" that's on the first Blueground Undergrass CD (in the forum catalog) stays fairly close to Buddy's version, with a few Newmanisms thrown in, as it was intended as a tribute to the two guys who did the most to get my steelin' going. I was always touched that "Wichita" was often the number one request at live shows. (Sure ticked off the banjo player!) As far as the Sugarland thing, Roger, I'm actually supposed to be the band leader, but ever since we got the band signed to MCA, they've dropped to mostly trio shows for support act gigs until the label ramps up some real tour support. We'll see if I get any real road action. The CD is finished, produced by Garth Fundis, with some excellent Dan Dugmore all over it, so I hope it gets released so folks get to hear him. Really nice Americana type stuff. Carl, I'll put you on my email list (you're in trouble now!) for my local shows. This Friday my duo will be at Java House in Conyers, next Wednesday at Eddie's Attic in Decatur, and Thursday at Trio in Macon. You can check out our Duo site at www.theplanetriders.com

------------------
Stop by the Steel Store at: www.markvanallen.com

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2004 12:24 pm    

Good luck with that gig, Mark! Let's hope something happens for you.

They impressed me, but forty minutes or so with only acoustic guitar and mandolin behind the voices was a bit too much - another couple of players would have enlivened their set considerably; we all know how the 'support act' thing goes, though.