The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  to my Christian steel playing friends...
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2004 4:12 pm    

Many of you will remember my post a few months back about playing in bars for so many years.. I have had more and more guilt about it and asked some of my forum mates here to opine. Got replies in all styles and sizes. Anyway,I prayed about this and got a pretty obvious answer. I asked the Lord to make the band just disappear with no way to get it back together if this were against HIS will. We have been paying together every weekend for TWELVE years!. Here's what happened:.. The other guitarist/fiddler got a one in a million dream job,that doubled his salary and benefits,increased his security and prestige,and wants NOTHING to do with the clubs... he's out as of May 1.. The bass player and his wife are moving 3,000 miles away to San Diego on 3 weeks notice,out of a clear blue sky.."Sorry guys,I'm out of here May 1.. its my last gig"...The replacement we got also decided to move after meeting with us and telling us he would love to join... We are booked a solid year in advance.. all jobs pay between $100- 150 a man, and new years is booked for $350 a man!.. Yet no one wants to play with one of the best known,best loved, best followed,highest paid bands in NY state! One door after another has been closed. I guess the Lord is making HIS will VERY clear here my friends! I hope he gives me something to do with my music.. I have depended on this $400-600 a month for many years.. I don't see any way to make ends meet with out it as both my wife and myself are stuck in poorly paid dead ends jobs and neither of us has much opportunity for improvement, and we both have health problems. I will do my best to trust HIM to work out the financial burden this will cause,, I KNOW this is not a coincidence... it was an answer to a VERY specific prayer... just thought I'd share..... bob

Jeff Hogsten

Flatwoods Ky USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2004 4:58 pm    

bob

may of the members here will remember Molly Oday who was the number one female country singer in the 40s. Her and her husbank Lynn Davis were members of my church and Lynn only died maybe three years ago. We discussing this one day and I asked them why they quit country music when they were saved. There answer was you cant get sweet and bitter water out of the some well. They also told me how they gave away every dime they made playing country music which was over one million dollars which was quite a sum of money then, its not bad now. You know what God restored every dime of it to them in the realestate bussiness and they travelled ministerd basiclly free for years and saw over 40,000 saved. Before anyone gets upset Im not critizing anyone, you have to work out your own salvation, this is just a story I thought BOb may enjoy and could relate to

Jeff

Dave Ristrim

Whites Creek, TN
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2004 5:04 pm    

It seems to me that things always happen for a reason. Keep us posted my friend.
Dave Ristrim

LARRY COLE

LANCASTER, OHIO, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2004 5:43 pm    

PRAISE THE LORD BROTHER BOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Never fear, He will make a way.

------------------
Playing For JESUS,LC. WILLIAMS U12,SHO-BUD PRO1,CARVIN TL60,GIBSON LES PAUL CUSTOM,YAMAHA L-10A ACOUSTIC,ROLAND JW-50 KEYBOARD,G&L AND BC RICH BASS'S

Jim Phelps

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2004 1:17 am    

[This message was edited by Jim Phelps on 17 November 2004 at 09:14 PM.]

Sidney Malone

Buna, TX
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2004 4:24 am    

Bob, just have faith that the Lord will see you through and He will!! Just ask Him to show you the way and that His will be done and then you follow. It's just that simple, so simple in fact a lot of people can't understand it.

------------------
Fessy S-12U, Future MSA Millennium S-12U, Stereo Steel

john buffington

Owasso OK - USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2004 5:08 am    

Right on -
When you're playing for THE LORD JESUS CHRIST there "ain't any stars any bigger than HIM", and HIS music is the best - He'll never take anything from you but what HE doesn't replace it with something better.
John Buffington

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2004 5:24 am    

I played in small churches here in the Atlanta area for 20 years and never asked for any money.

A few years ago I was offered a job with the Church of The Apostles here. Dr. Micheal Youssef who has a world wide ministry called "Leading the Way". I play guitar and some other instruments on Wed., 2 services on Sunday and some Thurs. night youth things. Pays $30K+ and I have never been treated better.

In as much as playing in bars and honkey tonks, some can handle it and some can't. If you are against the alcohol thing, then don't ever stop at a gas station or go to a grocery store--they all have it! Scripture says that as long as your in this world then you have to deal with what goes on here. Your supposed to be able to take up serpents and such and not be hurt. This means your faith should allow you to overcome adverse situations, temptations etc. NOT the snake handling thing.

If Jesus were here, He would be hanging out at the worst places meeting the needs of folks where they were. It is possible to play in bars and tonks and still set an example for others to see, but the same Book says to flee from temptation. If you can handle it then cool, if you can't, then don't go there.

Bottom line--Book says to work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. Whatever works for you.

Good to see folks express their faith here.

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2004 6:30 am    

Bob,
Now that you don't have to worry about the commitment of playing in night clubs all the time, you may be able to find something other than that "dead end" job that you spoke of. One of the local musicians that I sometimes pick with said this -"The only thing playing music ever did for me was keep me poor." I think this is true for many people. Best of luck, I'm sure things will work out in time.

Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2004 6:51 am    

Well, I just have to reply here, as I have seen several posts in the last couple months on this forum about personal Christian beliefs. First of all I am a Christian and my denomination is Pentecostal. So you can figure out real quick that my Christian beliefs are pretty straight laced. But, I do feel that we must be aware of our friends who visit this forum that are of other Christian or religious beliefs. There may be those who do not agree with our beliefs or may have another denomination/religious affiliation. I really feel that it is not appropriate to include personal types of dissuccions here on the steelguitarforum. I feel its ok to post and reply about gospel music and gospel steel, but really, we should try and be more respectful to other peoples beliefs. Sorry bOb and to the other moderators who do a great job on this forum, but I we should try and keep the topics on this forum to music and steel guitar, or gospel music and gospel steel. Respectfully, Duane Becker

Harry Williams

Duncan, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2004 10:10 am    

I am member of the Anglican Church of Canada. However I log onto the Forum to learn about steel guitars, not religion or spiritual matters. Respectfully yours, HW

------------------

Rick McDuffie

Benson, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2004 10:24 am    

If a member isn't interested in someone talking about their personal faith, then he/she shouldn't read that post. God gave you a good mind and a free will!

Rick

Bob Storti

Matthews, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2004 10:44 am    

Amen Rick!!!

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2004 10:57 am    

Separation of Church and "everything". A liberal Democrats' dream.

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2004 11:18 am    

BOY---This thread has gone from one man's conviction, to condemnation of the Democratic Party! I predict it will be closed before midnight, but before it is, Bob, if you don't feel "right" playing in the clubs, then don't. Period. I'm a Christian, too, and I play clubs, bars, wedding receptions where alcohol is served, and in my church, whenever asked. My sense of humor has led a lot of folks to ask, "Hey, how come you have so much fun, and you ain't drunk?" HEY, a door just opened! Now, I ain't gonna try to witness to a drunk person, unless I feel particularly obliged, but I DO have a chance, and I take advantage of EVERY opportunity, to tell folks where I stand, and why I stand that way.
Bob, I hope Carl Dixon doesn't mind me quoting him, here---
"May Jesus RICHLY bless you in all your undertakings!"

[This message was edited by Stephen Gambrell on 12 April 2004 at 12:20 PM.]

[This message was edited by b0b on 12 April 2004 at 03:05 PM.]

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2004 1:24 pm    

You guys are aces in my book!!!bob

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2004 2:10 pm    

The topic title is plain enough to warn away any non-Christian folk. Let's limit the responses to the subject at hand. There's no reason to get into politics here.

------------------
               Bobby Lee
-b0b-   quasar@b0b.com
 System Administrator

LARRY COLE

LANCASTER, OHIO, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2004 5:30 pm    

Thanks b0b.

------------------
Playing For JESUS,LC. WILLIAMS U12,SHO-BUD PRO1,CARVIN TL60,GIBSON LES PAUL CUSTOM,YAMAHA L-10A ACOUSTIC,ROLAND JW-50 KEYBOARD,G&L AND BC RICH BASS'S

Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2004 7:18 am    

"The topic title is plain enough to warn away any non-Christian folk. Let's limit the responses to the subject at hand. There's no reason to get into politics here."

Amen to that Bob!

Bob C, you have done the right thing, and I admire you for it. like another poster said, there will be tough times, but God will always see you through them. But also, God will bless you for doing his will. I firmly beleive that God is the one that gives us the talent to play an instrument, and we should use that talent for him.

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2004 11:54 am    

I am totally with Stephen on this one, and am encouraged by my pastor to walk in the the non-believers world and show by example.

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2004 3:38 pm    

Wow, Bill--You make 30 GRAND A YEAR, playing in church?? That's more than my preacher makes!A friend, whom I occaisionally do bluegrass gigs with(mostly the civic function, wedding reception type things), got a paying church gig. We now charge more for the bluegrass band, since he's raised his price! AAAAHHHH, capitalism!

Don Benoit

Okanagan Falls, BC
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2004 3:43 pm    

PLEASE! Let's keep politics, sex and religion out of the Steel Guuitar Forum!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2004 4:00 pm    

I agree with you on two out of three points, Don.

I have a feeling things are going to work out for you, Bob.
You obviously have the big guy's attention.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2004 3:22 am    

Don.. if the thread is offensive to you, STAY OUT OF IT! Why is this so hard to understand for some people? The topic is for CHRISTIAN steel players[of which there are MANY on this site] and those that are interested in in the topic even though they may not share that faith. My apologizes to all for the rant. If I see a topic on this forum that I have no interest in or that I just plain don't like,I just move on. No problem. There are many Christian steel players that are interested in what another believer has to say. I am looking to converse with those persons. If that offends anyone PLEASE just move on to a topic you are interested in.Again,please excuse the anger..... bob

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2004 5:54 am    

Bob:

I think it's a great post. Like yourself, I've been going over the pros and cons, and what's right and wrong about playing in clubs for awhile myself. I am a Christian also but I'm still out pounding the club scene every week. I don't drink and I've asked The Lord for answers about it but I surely haven't received an answer like yourself. But I may have gotten one more subtle.

I hope you can find a church near you that has a kicking band you might join. I have sat-in with a few around various parts of the country and it was very uplifting. That would satisfy your musical thirst.

Finacially, I'm sure The Lord will bring good things your way.

Good for you Bob and keep us posted.

Chris "Tiny" Olson