The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Danny Gatton/Buddy Emmons, New CD
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2004 8:47 am    

It's going to be released on May 21st. A live gig with Danny's jazz oriented group, Fun House. Buddy played that night. I can't wait to hear these two greats!
http://www.bigmo.com/dagafu.html

Scotty Wenzel

Fort Collins, CO
Post  Posted 19 May 2004 9:09 am    

And they are going to reissue Redneck Jazz Explosion with Buddy later this summer. I've got it....Unbelievable performances.

sw

GFI S-10 ULTRA, G&L & Fender Guitars, Ocarina, Comb w/paper

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 19 May 2004 9:19 am    

Just ordered my copy. Danny is one of my all time great guitar players along with Jimmy Bryant and Brad Paisley. Can't wait to hear him and Buddy tearing it up!!

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2004 11:39 am    

I've got one on order!

------------------
My best,
Ernie

www.buddyemmons.com

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 19 May 2004 11:54 am    

ME TOO!!!!
Gatton and Emmons with a horn section . . .
. . . what could be better?

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps

Chris Forbes

Beltsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2004 12:07 pm    

Scotty, I've got that album too, it boggles the mind to hear those two guys go at it.

Billy Woo

Los Angeles, CA, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2004 12:45 pm    

I knew Danny back in D.C. he used to work on one of my guitars and even showed me a few things in Upper Marlboro also I knew alot of his friends like Billy Windsor, Tom Dildy, Tommy Lepson, Nils Lofgren, Larry Kidwell, Dick Heinze and a bunch of others even played on the same bill with Danny at the Crazy Horse in Georgetown. I sure miss him. He could really make that Telecaster sing but he also played a Gibson Les Paul. I have his Red Neck Jazz on album, Im sure this recording is better cuz Buddy's on it.

Bronco Billy

John Pelz

Kettering, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2004 2:09 pm    

Actually, Buddy does play on Gatton's album, "Red Neck Jazz." Buddy plays on 3 tracks-- "Rock Candy," "Ode to Billy Joe," and "Canadian Sunset." Of course, his playing is superb on all 3 tracks, but my personal fave is "Ode to Billy Joe." Unbelieveable playing by all!

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 19 May 2004 4:13 pm    

So, Buddy... tell us about this one. What a surprise to have it suddenly unearthed and released! What's the back-story?

Scotty Wenzel

Fort Collins, CO
Post  Posted 20 May 2004 2:53 am    

Yeah Chris,

I have been listening to this disk on a weekly basis for quite some time now, probably driving my work mates nuts. Can't imagine being lucky enough to have watched those guys do this live...

Buddy Emmons

Hermitage, TN USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 May 2004 4:21 am    

Yes it is a surprise, Jim. I don’t recall much in the way of tunes but I remember most of the musicians being from the Navy band out of the Washington, DC area. The brass and acoustic bass sound was a departure from the Red Neck Jazz Explosion quintet I was used to working with, but it was a Gatton gig so what else can you say.

A few of the tunes were new to me and a bit chord laden, so an extra rehearsal wouldn’t have hurt my feelings, but what’s new. There was always the feeling that Danny’s music was “under construction” so you learned to stay alert.

The brass played with the same fire and authority you hear from Danny, so hopefully the recording facilities were good enough to have captured it. I shall reserve any comments regarding my performance.

pdl20

Benton, Ar . USA,
Post  Posted 20 May 2004 7:26 am    

Buddy, You could trip over a steel guitar and create more music and feel than most of us could in our life time. Rudy

Scotty Wenzel

Fort Collins, CO
Post  Posted 20 May 2004 10:57 am    

Well put, Rudy.

Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 20 May 2004 9:46 pm    

I'd love to apologize for playing like that myself, Gary.

Miles Lang

Venturaloha
Post  Posted 21 May 2004 4:39 am    

Buddy- I actually have a bootleg of the entire two night run from your 1988 stint with Gatton's Funhouse. It sounds pretty darn good, even as a boot! Maybe they will issue Volue 2, and include your cool version of "Take Me Out To The Ball Park", where you and Danny were trading off fast and slow choruses. Thanks for your input - it's great hearing from the source.

I believe the Redneck Jazz Explosion CD that Bigmo is planning to release at the end of summer is a second volume of the Cellar Door Gig, with possible inclusions of "Song For My Father", "When Sunny Gets Blue", "Filthy McNasty", "Homage to Charlie Christian" and others. I tried to edit my own Volume 2 of this gig fropm the "Orphans" bootleg that has been floating around from a few years,because I am a HUGE fan of the Explosion.

Also, here is my Gatton website. I need to get some pictures of Buddy and Dann playing together posted up there.
http://community-2.webtv.net/RUMBLETWEED/DannyGatton

Jim West

Post  Posted 21 May 2004 5:35 am    

I just placed my order for DG's "Funhouse" but noticed on Amazon that DG also had two CD's that I'm wondering if they are they same. One is, "Redneck Jazz" and the other is "Redneck Jazz Explosion". Are these the same material just different release dates? I have the original RJE.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/ix=music&rank=%2Bpsrank&fqp=binding%018%02is-popular%01yes%02keywords%01danny%20gatton&nsp=score%01proj-unit-sales&sz=10&pg =2/ref=s_m_np/104-7044593-3006336

[This message was edited by Jim West on 21 May 2004 at 06:36 AM.]

Chris Forbes

Beltsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2004 8:54 am    

Jim, they're two veeeeeeery different releases. One is studio, the Explosion is live with Buddy on the whole album as opposed to just three cuts on the studio release. May I recommend both? Ya can't go wrong with either!!!!

Miles Lang

Venturaloha
Post  Posted 23 May 2004 4:11 pm    

2 of the three cuts on "Redneck Jazz" (Ode to Billy Joe and Canadian Sunset) are from the same live date that produced the "Redneck Jazz Explosion" CD. I hear that Big Mo/Flying Deuce is goinbg to release a second volume of live Explosion music, tentatively set for an end of summer release.

If you can get both, do so. If you can only get one, get "Explosion", although Canadian Sunset is absolutely beautiful. I think Buddy is usung an Ebow on his steel. Danny's announcements from the stage (heard on the bootleg "Orphans" rtayher than the commerical release of "Explosion") revealed that Buddy was playing a Sho-Bud that night.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2004 4:48 pm    

Quote:
Buddy was playing a Sho-Bud that night.
Miles, I'm quite sure you're wrong about that. I have a very grainy bootleg video of that show (from eBay) and it sure looks like an Emmons to me. I don't think Buddy has played a Sho-Bud since the late 60's or early 70's.

Miles Lang

Venturaloha
Post  Posted 24 May 2004 12:52 pm    

Jim - I could be wrong, I only know what Danny announced from the stage. He could have been razzing Buddy, too. I have a friend sending me the reference video that you're looking at. I've never seen it myself.

Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 24 May 2004 2:34 pm    

Danny called me once, about 24 years ago to do a job for him, (wasn't music) and I would like to say that he was just a great guy. It's just too bad that he's no longer here. He gave me a copy of his LP and I remember him bragging about Buddy. That's one LP I'll always keep.

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2004 3:53 am    

I believe that all the jobs Buddy worked with Danny, he played "The Blade".

I could be wrong, but it was in any pictures or videos of a Redneck Jazz Explosion show that I have seen.

------------------
My best,
Ernie

www.buddyemmons.com

Buddy Emmons

Hermitage, TN USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 May 2004 4:01 am    

I was using the Blade that night so that was a razz, Miles. Danny and I had the same sick sense of humor so we enjoyed putting each other on.

Dirk B

Harrisburg, MO, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2004 9:29 am    

That's all I need to hear. I just ordered my copy.

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2004 7:24 pm    

I've heard a bootleg tape of a RJE gig where Danny introduces Buddy as Eddie Bummons.

------------------
My best,
Ernie

www.buddyemmons.com