The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Vince Gill in Naples tonight....
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2004 5:59 am    

I'm going to see Vince tonight here at the Philharmonic - can I expect to see Jay Dee with him, does anyone know? I know I'll find out for myself in a few hours, but I was wondering. I may have to wear my 'Buddy Emmons' T-shirt showing the Emmons P/P if so.....

Looking forward to this one! (I bet VG's playing golf around here somewhere today, too!)

Roger R.

Jesse Harris

Ventura, California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2004 2:44 pm    

ya you'll get JayDee, I know because we tried to book him for our gig sat nite, and he said he would be out with vince.

nice excuse huh!!!

Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 3 Jun 2004 4:29 pm    

I think you're in for a real treat when Jay Dee "cuts loose". He got a nice round of deserved applause at Wolftrap.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2004 8:27 pm    

Well, I'm home after a musical treat!

It WAS, of course, Jay Dee - and he played beautifully. We spoke before the show and he was self-effacing as usual, but he had some shining moments, especially in the first half of the evening. The sound-guys were terrific, and the Emmons cut through to perfection. Hearing Jay Dee play reminds me of why I love steel guitar so much!

Vince Gill is just outstanding - it's easy to forget just how many hits he's had over the last 15 years, but they all sound fresh, and he sounds as though he just loves playing and singing them. There are other master-players in the band, too - John Hobbs excelled, as did the rhythm section featuring Willie Weeks.

In all honesty, I could well manage without those protracted 'blues jams' that crept into the proceedings towards the end. Although I can't help feeling that Gill is a better guitar-player than Clapton or BB King, and has a greater musical vocabulary from which to draw on, even he left me wondering why players in the 'blues' genre spend so long saying so little.

This is a minor carp, though - I had a great evening, with some inspiration from one of the great steel players. Thanks, Jay Dee - it was a pleasure to meet you!

Roger R.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2004 6:38 am    

Were there any other Forum guys at this gig? There was at least one other 'shout' besides mine when Vince introduced Jay Dee to great applause!

RR