The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How did Greg Galbraith manage.....
Gary Lee Gimble

Fredericksburg, VA.
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2003 3:57 pm    

Sitting between Emmons, David the fiddler and staying composed while Emmons plays a sequence of notes that cause the fiddler to lose composure? The louder David laughed and the more he would keel over, would seem to inspire Emmons to continue pursuit in playing licks that would crack up the fiddler. Meanwhile, as Greg stays glued to his music stand, Emmons leans slightly back and turns his head stage right to acknowledge David's piercing laughter. Pat Paulson comes to mind here somewhat. There is just so much anyone can filter without eventually falling through the cracks although Pat's face never did, nor did Greg's.
Greg, looks can be deceiving, but you looked bored or maybe just concentrating on the charts? This is just my observation and definitely not a criticism since your playing is flawless. If my memory serves me correct, I believe you were playing on Rugg's set and played a signature Rugg lick. Hal sorta popped out of his seat and landed in your direction but still, you face was dead panned and glued to the music stand. Bottom line is, the music was as entertaining as my visual observations.

Gary Lee

JACK HEERN

MURPHYSBORO,IL. USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2003 4:32 pm    

Gregg's mother let him fall on his head on the way to the car when he was two. The only thing his brain retained after the fall was his love for guitar and red heads. He probably wasn't aware that Emmons or David was there. David Smith had told him to play, he follows instructions real well. So that is how it happened. FYI
jp

Gregg Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn.,USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2003 6:20 pm    

Gary,
I can only assume that it was one of three reasons:
1.I work with David Russell enough that I've gotten used to his cackling laughter.

2.I wasn't paying attention.

3.When Buddy hires me,(which I still deem to be the greatest honor ever to be bestowed upon me),I am concentrating so much on trying to do a good job, that you couldn't pull a greasy string out of my ass with a John Deere tractor!
Thanks for the nice compliment.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2003 6:42 pm    

quote:
you couldn't pull a greasy string out of my ass with a John Deere tractor!

Well, now isn't that charming imagery?

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2003 8:39 pm    

I have just got to say that if I wasn't convinced before (when Paul F. was inducted)I am now that Greg G is one of the best guitar players around. I was mezmarized for lack of another word,He is smooth accurate and most tasteful. I can see why Buddy,Russ and others had him chair right on their sets.One of my highlights was watching the tradeoffs with Buddy and his smooth Jazz then the great adjustment to the Country tunes. No wonder he has had so many studio cuts with the best.He is one of, if not the best.

------------------
@^@

Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2003 10:09 pm    

Gregg,
Your "comment",& Jim's comment about your comment,cracked me up! I'm gonna hafta go & change my shorts. I couldn't hold it in!! (there ain't enough "Smileys" on this forum to express my reaction.)

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© It don't mean a thang,
mm if it ain't got that twang.
www.ntsga.com

Tony Harris

England
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2003 12:48 am    

I caught Buddy's Saturday set via the internet and certainly agree - Buddy and Greg together! How about an album? Please!

RON PRESTON

Dodson, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2003 6:11 am    

Smiley,
The truth is that Jim really thinks Gregg's Tractor is Sexy. Nothing "pulls" like a "Deere".

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2003 6:31 am    

Tony, there already are several albums out of Buddy and Gregg together, the Step One, Swinging series. Great music, I have all of them. I think its about time for a Gregg Galbraith solo project. Gregg, you've been one of my favorites since the old Po'Boys days.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2003 7:48 am    

Darvin,
I've told him that for years!
Theresa

[This message was edited by Theresa Galbraith on 04 September 2003 at 08:50 AM.]

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2003 8:15 am    

Here ya go, Greg !!

Russ Hicks

Pegram, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2003 11:04 am    

Russ says that Gregg "thinks like a steel player" and that's just one of the reasons why he's a great musician. He makes the guitar sound exactly like I like to hear it, clear, smooth, and full of emotion and taste.He added so much to our "Connie" Tribute project (I meant to announce that during Russ and Jimmy's show in St. Louis). Let me just say right now how much I admire and respect you world class musicians. I used to be afraid to sing in front of you (you know too much), but now I'm just enjoying the honor and sheer joy of hearing your genius and knowing how good you make any singer sound. And Gregg, I get my best jokes from you!!!!And I even understand some of them. Your fan, Laney

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2003 11:35 am    

Gregg is serious about his guitar playing, (and it shows.) I don't think he "wasn't paying attention", more like he was.

I remember Buddy saying that he and Jimmy Day used to set up their guitars and would practice talking while they were playing, while trying to break each other up.

Yes, a solo LP would be great, Gregg! You could probably get Buddy to play on it, too.

------------------
My best,
Ernie

www.buddyemmons.com

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2003 12:10 pm    

OK Gregg, how big a John Deer tractor? A lawn model or a big farm job?
Yes, you already know how much I appreciate your incredible talent, as does anyone that has ever heard you. And Buddy? Nothing needs to be said here, his playing has said it all, for many years.

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2003 8:42 am    

Either:
OR

------------------
My best,
Ernie

www.buddyemmons.com

[This message was edited by Ernie Renn on 05 September 2003 at 09:47 AM.]

Chris Forbes

Beltsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2003 9:25 am    

How, pray tell, did a greasy string get up there?

Gary Lee Gimble

Fredericksburg, VA.
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2003 9:58 am    

Chris, I read about this back door procedure in the August edition of National Medical Science. The is an alternate procedure for removing wisdom teeth or fragments that were not successfully extracted during a prior visit. Apparently if the tractor suffers collateral damage from affixation, the procedure stalls and is postponed.
Gary LeeEeeeeeee

rpetersen

Iowa
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2003 12:37 pm    

Ditto on Gregg's playing - I first met Gregg 30 years ago when he was playing with George Hamilton IV - He was great then and the most noted thing is everytime he sees me, He stops and says HI!! That means a lot!
Also Theresa - I'm glad you liked the little "Snort" of Captain Morgan and Coke!!!!

------------------
Ron Petersen &
The Keep'n Tyme Band