The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A Farewell To Steel
Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2003 2:32 am    

Well, it's gone !! I waited a year or so but I had to do it. I've sold my steel guitar and all the things are now out of the house. It was like living in a haunted house and who ya' gonna call.....

A motorcycle friend of mine had a beautiful white Harley with prefectly done flames on the gas tank. One night a camper crossed way over the yellow line and clipped him. His left leg was shredded and twisted nearly off.

I sat with him for a week or ten days in the hospital. He would drift in and out of the morphine and when they took him to amputate the lower leg, I asked how could he do that?

Paul, he replied: "If you hurt as bad as I do, you'd understand."

But I don't understand this. I recall reading somewhere that Johnny Siebert had an Emmons Push Pull under his bed but couldn't look at it. I didn't understand that then but I can a little bit now.

I wish I was like our New American Lady Hero, Janet Lynch in Walter Reed Hospital right now. She has amnesia and cannot recall the trauma as if her brain was protecting her from the hurt.
But I'm not that fortunate.

It's as if God has said, We better turn this one over so it gets done on both sides.

It's early on Sunday Morning and it's Mother's Day. The mocking birds, at least 25 of them woke me up with their singing. Later on we'l have fried chicken and smoked ribs with potato salad and everything else !
Plus Caleb will be here to help me celebrate my new format with his Mother.

And like the Honorable Senator from North Carolina, Jesse Helms who once called our live TV show and requested: " Have Paul play something nice for me !" So I played him that Pete Drake signature sound on Southern Sunday. And that is where I'm at !

As I was driving back from Knoxville TN I wound through those fabulous mountains going into Chattanooga and then down into Georgia.
I knew I was on my way home.

I had thought that I might be a phony on this Forum but there are many degrees of player's skills here and I think I could fit in with my old stories and thoughts.

In reading some profiles lately, I've found that there are even others here who don't even play or own a steel guitar. They come here because they like the chatter and fellowship that can be found here. It is indeed a marvelous place to go back and recall all these Precious Memories.

Regards, Paul

John P. Phillips

Folkston, Ga. U.S.A., R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 May 2003 5:22 am    

And Paul, your chatter and memories are right there at the top of the list. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment though so please keep em coming !!

------------------
JUST 'CAUSE I STEEL, DON'T MAKE ME A THIEF

[This message was edited by John P.Phillips on 11 May 2003 at 06:22 AM.]

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 11 May 2003 5:30 am    

Hey Paul,
I used to live for those old "Pushin' Pedals" articles. Don't give up the ship dude............JH

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

Tony Davis

Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Post  Posted 11 May 2003 5:38 am    

Paul....I have tried to E-mail you a couple of times but get rejected..guess it dont like the accent...can you possibly email me so we can set up a link.
I havent been able to pick my steel for about a month ços of a crook middle right hand finger...same for Dobro too.......but i can manage to get happy on acoustic guitar..just stick it in the air !!!...getting better on acoustic and worse on steel!!!!!..but it doesnt matter...just making me think in diferent circles....keeping rythmn going and still playing tune.
Well thats my two cents woth....give me an E-mail Paul
Tony

Rusty Walker

Markham Ont. Canada, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 May 2003 6:54 am    

I'm missing something,Paul.Why did you get rid of your gear? Best wishes. Rusty

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 11 May 2003 7:05 am    

Mornin Mr. Paul,
It may be out of your house but, it will never be out of your heart. You,like myself and many other players,wannabe players and fans of the steel guitar,as long as we have any memory will (in our mind)sit and listen to Jimmy Days,I Love You Because,BEs,Danny Boy,and remember what they did for PSG,among others like Curly,Jerry B,Jody, Paul G,and many,many more that space and time does'nt permit.

Paul,keep the little tidbits coming because I,and everyone else enjoys reading them,it's folks like you and Jody that make this great forum what it is,now go have some chicken and tater salad,and hug Caleb for all the Grands on the forum.

------------------
Bill Ford

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 11 May 2003 7:35 am    

Paul
E Mail me please.

Charlie Vaughn

West Union, South Carolina
Post  Posted 11 May 2003 7:47 am    

Thanks Paul for sending me the collection of the articles you wrote. Great reading & I have enjoyed them very much. You are certainly a gifted writer and I enjoy every post you place here. My best to you, please keep in touch.

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2003 9:44 am    

Perhaps you redirect your energies for a while. The art is in the relationship, not the object, the object is the transducer. The art is the impetus.

Anne Marie O Keeffe

Co.Waterford,Ireland.
Post  Posted 11 May 2003 9:53 am    

Paul, don't you dare slip off here. Everybody is needed here. I don't play steel and what I do play (acoustic)I don't play particularly well but that doesn't stop me mouthing off all over the place!!!!!!!

Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2003 10:11 am    

Hi Paul,
We had a bad storm here last night and the lights have been off all morning until just about 30 minutes ago. We used oil lamps to find our way to bed and use them a lot here. I got up made coffee with the old percolator on the gas stove read the paper and wanted to play but the power was out. So I just got out the old Dobro that I haven't touched in a while and played it most of the morning while listening to the Gospel music on WSM. I had to put batteries we've had since W2K in the old radio to hear that but it kind of makes for a different day. Great stuff for Sunday morning. You might try doing things a little different from your normal routine and get the desire back. It's still there after all of these years. You just need to look at it with a different light.

Larry Miller

Dothan AL,USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2003 12:48 pm    

Paul, "Music is an ever changing quantity. The change is the basis of it all. When you stop changing, your music stops with it. Never let one thing or opinion govern you. Always keep looking for something new. Sometimes we have to go back to the beginning to find something new."Paul J.Graupp

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 May 2003 2:37 pm    

Paul, my long-time Forum friend.....

Your comments in reference to the closing of a chapter of your life was touching, a little sad, but also inspiring as you spoke of your relationship with your family and this beautiful day that God has provided us on this Mothers Day.

Being the consummate writer that you are, I know that you recognize that as you close this chapter of your life that another chapter has already begun....one that could very well be the most fulfilling and important of them all! I hope and pray that this is true for you my friend.

As you so eloquently summarized, the Precious Memories of a person's life is the substance of who he is. You will be remiss, and doing a disservice to yourself and to your friends on the Forum if you do not continue to share your life experiences with us.

To borrow from an Irish blessing....."May the road rise to meet you, and May the wind be always warm upon your face"....

Gene
www.genejones.com

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 11 May 2003 3:53 pm    

I`m missing something too,Paul why did you sell you gear?

------------------

Bob Hayes

Church Hill,Tenn,USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2003 4:07 pm    

Paul,
You should have told me that you were in the area..Church Hill is only about 85 miles from Knoxville. Sorry I havn't Emailed you lately. My friend..don't get rid of it..Yhe PSG is part of you. Writing should be part of venture also. Your post are ussually sooo elequent..I believe that your memoirs would be equally so. Paul..you have so much life experience, advise, and tales to offer to we (younger?) folk, to the Public, and too we formites! Don't go away.
Your Friend,
Bob Hayes

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 May 2003 5:27 pm    

Paul- I ask Tom Bradshaw about your collection of writings for Frets , called "Pushin Pedals".

Everyone should get a hold of it and read them. Link to Tom Bradshaw and ask him to sell a copy to all that ask. I would hope that he does it.

I know what you mean about playing. But I am older than you and I still go lover to the Community Center and play with Pete and the guys for a couple of hours, every wednesday if I can. People still enjoy the music and dancing. Most are seniors and the music they grew up with is the songs we grew up with and know. They do appreciate it when we can play all their requests.

A few years ago, I used to spend my winters in Florida, where a lot of my Grand and Great grand kids live.

I played 2 nights a week in a resort on the beach with "The Geratol Three". We had Lead, Rhythm and steel, and a drum machine. Played every kind of music from the 20's to the 80's , packed every night from 7 to 10 , lots of dancing, for the winter season. I was 65 yrs young and the leader was 78! He was in better shape than I was. He sang and played rhythm.
It was fun, so "it aint over til it's over"
Hang in there my friend.....al

Kenny Forbess

peckerwood point, w. tn.
Post  Posted 11 May 2003 7:02 pm    

Frank,
You're certianly hitting home with your words of encouragement.
I too, got hit last night with a twister, took lots of stuff I have fond memories of.
As I know,, you have experienced the same, more than once.
I can relate to the coffee, eggs ,and bacon on the old wood stove."good ole days"

Paul,
You hang in there, I know how it is to do without you're music stuff, as I had to leave mine behind for 3 years to go off and do my patriaitic duties, not knowing if i would ever return to them.
Hell, i even took up the mandolin and banjo,
just to keep some excitement and sanity.
I can sence by your post's, you are a strong person, you're gonna be fine.
my best to you,
heads up ole pal,
Kenny

------------------
66 Emmons D-10 bolt-on

Tony Davis

Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Post  Posted 12 May 2003 4:12 am    

Paul..thanks for the E-mail explaining things my friend..at least I should now be able to link to you.
Like most ,I have been through similar times..sold my good guitars and stuff..luckily I kept the best one....and alway kept my steel.....even though when I broke my left ankle I thought it was the best excuse to give up steel.....I didnt and have had a ton of fun since....couple of years ago run my first finger through a chain and sprocket.....and now second finget is crook......but I aint giving up........and neither should you.......I know of your problems...I cant help but I think you need something......even an old flattop gitar so you can go out the back and pick for an hout ot two.....thats what I do nearly every night.....lightens the load and gets you away from it for a while.
Should you choose to ignore this advice.....well I have to advise you that I shall bring all my familly,all my pigs and goats and things....broken down cars and tractors and move in next door to you..that will make you sorry......and should you quit this forum......then I will ask my buddy in Ireland.....AMOK...to consider selling up and moving in on the other side of you......then you will be really sorry!!!!! as AMOK and I will be leaning over the fence hurling insults at each other.. and you will be inbetween!!!!!!
Keep your Chin up Buddy...I'll answer your E-mil shortly
Tony

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2003 9:40 am    

I have no words adequate to thank all of you ! My language capabilities do not reach that far. I have tried to respond to each of you personally and will do that as time allows.

chas: I don't have an e-mail for you but rest assured, I read your words very carefully. We may differ a bit on scales but not on the real things and I appreciate you very much !

I cannot yet believe that I once wrote the words Larry quoted by me; to me. That is one for the books. I told him I felt like a time travelor who had gone back in time to leaves clues or messages for himself in later years.

I have no intention of leaving the Forum. I could not do that ! Just reading what friends have written here would tell why I can't leave. The fact is that while I don't have a guitar in the house for the first time in 50 years is all that has changed. My need to write and talk to all of you has never changed.

When that happens, my wife or son will tell the Forum where I am buried and you can "...come and say say an Ave over me." I think Danny Boy is once again becoming my favorite song because the lyrics really seem to fit my life.

It seems small of me to simply say Thank You but I cannot express what strength you have all given me so I will leave it at that.

Warmest Regards to each and every one of you

Paul

[This message was edited by Paul Graupp on 28 August 2004 at 05:25 PM.]

Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2003 9:43 am    

Hi Paul, just so you will know - I really cherish the "Pushing Pedals" book you sent me. I can remember many years ago when us guys were trying to figure this instrument out, you already had done so and then gave us this cherished book. Thanks so much for your talents and much patience with us.
There is still a lot of friends out there that need your friendship, advice etc. I am very proud of this friendship I have with you and want that to last for many more years. Dont'worry, be happy. (Sounds like a song poem???) LOL
Thanks for the memories and good times ahead.

Your friend,

Bill Stafford

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 12 May 2003 12:35 pm    

I really feel for you Paul. Looks like I will have to sell all my gear pretty soon to raise funds to move out of my house and hire a lawyer if my wife files for divorce here soon. A divorce for me now would be like me passing away.

Keep the faith brother and I will keep you in my prayers, although I don't Gid listens to me anymore.

Richard

------------------
Carter D10 9p/10k
Richard Sinkler

Reece Anderson

Keller Texas USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 May 2003 3:13 pm    

As your friend I want only the best for you. If putting your beloved steel guitar aside truly makes you happy, I'm glad for you and wish you all the very best.

I would not be totally honest and forthright were I to not say I have mixed emotions about you're doing so because I know you well, and because it also saddens me. It saddens me in that I know you love steel guitar as do I, and when it loses someone of your stature who has given so much to steel guitar, the instrument itself suffers the loss.

Again dear friend, make no mistake, my primary focus is on your happiness, I just hope that should you decide you want to come back to playing the steel guitar, that you are not reluctant to do so for any reason.

The door will always be open for you, and either way, your contributions will never be forgotten.

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 12 May 2003 4:47 pm    

Paul my friend..your not going anywhere but to visit me here in your home state. A good time and some good pickin and good food will
give you a renewed interest in steel guitar.

Who else can bend your ear off with all those
stories of the Glory days at Fender? If you
leave who is going to listen to me???.

I recall back when you were doing the Fretts
thing Jim Williams (head of Fender Advertising) and Bob Perine said to me,,Paul
is too modest,he has no idea as to how much he has contributed to Fender. I always knew
how important you were in the capacity that you performed so well.

Sure you have your reasons and they are your
choice,but remember what I always said to you

We Dont Stop Playing Because We Get Old.
We Get Old Because We Stop Playing.

One week with me here and I'll have you back
writing "Fretts" all over,,and Marilyn's home
cooking will cure what ails you. Either that
or you'll be happy to get back to Georgia.

Be sure to bring along some fresh Pecans.
Take Caleb along and I'll introduce him to Casey.

The Song "The One Rose" Thats Left In My Heart
waits for you my friend.

It ain't over till it's over. and It Ain't Over.. The Bases are loaded with all your friends here..Swing at a fast one and watch it soar like an Eagle.

Hang in.
Jody.

Yogi.

Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2003 5:06 pm    

PAUL, i dont know you but i've read all the good things that others have written about you and you sound like a great guy and a good player, and i agree with REECE but i would like to tell you a little story if i may, my wife and i had a country gospel group made up of my (3) boys and daughter , we had a (4) piece band and we sang as a trio, we sang all over the midwest and michigan and kentucky and west virginia, we had piano, bass ,drums ,and steel, we had the tour bus and all the equipment , then the children started graduating from school and other interest came along and we saw a need to disband the group , our hearts were torn out and it seems we were never satisfied , and i put my SHO-BUD in the case and it stayed there for (6) years and it was never gotten out . then my second son and his family were killed in an auto accident, and i felt even more unsatisfaction and thanks be to our GOD i feel that he put the desire back into my heart to play again to give him the glory and i have been playing in another group for (4) years now and i felt the need to buy another steel (that is lighter)
and my wife has recorded (2) new projects that she uses as a soloist and she seems to be content. PAUL i'm not trying to tell you what to do but only share a little of my life with you and i hope i have'nt hurt or made you feel some thing that would cause you to not follow your heart ,. regards G.P.

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 14 May 2003 2:28 am    

Paul, I have read the lovely comments from your friends and I support your choice because that's what you feel that you need now.

But I will note ; you can take the steeler away from his steel, but you can never take the musique outa the steeler.
It's like the jealous wife that stops hubby from playing out...
You have me, you don't need that no mo.
Eventually the itch to just play again gets bigger again and it's back to some lil gig twice a month and darn her. I have seen a lot of divrorces from just such a wifely attitude.. some ladys may be very nice..
but they "just don't get it".

And sometimes that situation corresponds to a down cycle in the picker, so he just agrees and stops... for awhile...
oops, here comes that up cycle.

I won't want to bet that you won't have an old 8 string lapsteel on your knees in that comfee chair jammin to the boobtube in the future.

Maybe the knees don't want to bend no mo, but the heart and brain won't shut off.

The visit to Jody's would do the trick.
Good luck whatever your path.

And to finish Gene's irish proverb above.
"And may you be in heaven for an hour before the devil hears your dead."
And not too soon either my friend!

[This message was edited by David L. Donald on 14 May 2003 at 03:36 AM.]