The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Congratulations to me!
Roy Ayres

Riverview, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 May 2003 8:57 am    

Throughout my 17-year musical career in the 40’s and 50’s, many times I was advised by other musicians, “Don’t quit your day job.” Following that advice I worked 42 years at a day job – forsaking music except for listening. I finally decided this month that I had enjoyed about all of that day job I could stand – so I turned in my notice of retirement as of May 30. Therefore, effective June 1, 2003 it’s have steel, will NOT travel.

I hereby announce that I am taking up steel guitar as a full-time hobby. I still remember all of my hot licks, I just can’t get there in time. I figure that with enough resolve I can redevelop my manual dexterity to the point where I can keep up – if I can just find some musicians who play everything at 33-1/3. While I don’t expect to ever reach the level of the present crop of professionals, or the greats of my day such as Alvino, Joaquin, Noel, Jerry, or my good friends Jody Carver and Gene Jones; I hope to now be able to spend enough time in the woodshed that I won’t be kicked off the bandstand when I sit in.
=============================================
Congratulatory gifts can be sent to my home address – or, if you want to save shipping costs, I accept PayPal.

Jim Phelps

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 15 May 2003 9:34 am    

Congratulations Roy. I hope you really enjoy your retirement from the day job. I can relate. I was a full-time musician from '73-'84, then I took a regular job and just played music on the side. I made great money in my "real job" but really missed being a musician. About 3 years ago I left my full-time job, after 16 years there. Now I don't make a lot of money but I do what I like, play music and a little computer stuff now and then. By the way, after I left my job the bigwigs in corporate started cleaning house...forced early retirement on all the people who'd been there 20-25 years, these were good people, I'm positive the suits just wanted to get rid of the people who'd been there so long they were at the top of the payscale and replace them with kids who'd be happy to start at the bottom... this is what "the company" will reward you with after giving your life to them, and another reason why I'm happy to make a little bit here and there and NOT work for a big corporation. Also why Bobbe Seymour is my new hero, he's managed to be very sucessful at playing music and other music-related business his whole life, that ain't easy! But I digress..... Anyway, congrats Roy, enjoy life, it's too short to do otherwise!

[This message was edited by Jim Phelps on 15 May 2003 at 11:04 AM.]

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 15 May 2003 10:04 am    

WAY TO GO ROY!!!!!!!!
I did much the same,after about 20 years of sidelining it I gave it up for my day job,retired about 2 years ago and got back into picking just for the fun of it,also have photography as a hobby/sideline,I take better pictures than I play,get to go to a lot more car shows now.

Best of everything to you and,I hope you enjoy retirement as much as me.

BF

------------------
Bill Ford

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 May 2003 11:09 am    

Roy,while I didn't give up music for 42 years as you did, I did give it up from 1970 until 1984 to follow a day job career before I started playing again.

I can only say that music playing was never the satisfaction back then that it has been in recent years when I could play only WHEN I wanted to, and WHAT I wanted to!

Gene
www.genejones.com

I hope it is he same with you!

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2003 11:43 am    

With your free time now, maybe you'll have the time to tell us about your brother's playing history that you mentioned last mo. Enjoy!

------------------

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2003 12:18 pm    

Congratulations, I had a bit of an epiphany a few years back when it occurred to me that, if I stopped buying things I couldn't afford, I wouldn't have to work for people I didn't like....

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 15 May 2003 12:36 pm    

Congratulations Roy,
so Happy Woodsheddin'
Best of Luck gettin'good gigs
and keep us posted

------------------
Steel what?

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 15 May 2003 1:11 pm    

Roy you don't get a gold watch for your retirement oh no no..

We gotta get you a goldplated 3 neck Stringmaster !!
Jody you got one in the woodpile out back we can shine up?

I have done the preasure-cooker NYC ad biz video thing for a few years in spurts, but almost always made music my day gig.
I have been very lucky in that.

But I admire guys like Gene who did a day gig and still kept a hand in enough to do something sweet like "Just For Me".
And I admire Gene very much for what he did for a day gig too.

So I am real happy to see you get the time to steel till the cows come home.
Roy I await your "Just For Me".
It don't have ta be picked fast, just picked sweet.

So enjoy your retirement and some good steeling and may it be a long happy time for you!

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 15 May 2003 2:06 pm    

Now you are eligible for Unemployment checks
and do a side gig and dont report your working.

With that and you're retirement.

YOU TOO CAN BE A MILLIONAIRE.

A Pauper.

Don Walters

Saskatchewan Canada
Post  Posted 15 May 2003 3:26 pm    

Quote:
if I stopped buying things I couldn't afford, I wouldn't have to work for people I didn't like....

Chas, you're priceless

where were you when I needed that advice 35 years ago!

Carl West

La Habra, CA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 May 2003 8:41 am    

HEY ROY,
Welcome to the club and you deserve it. After Fender then 30 years with Underwriters Labs. Inc. I did the same in Sept. 2000. Like Gene said, plays what you want,when you want too. Way to do it for sure, except I' m not pick'in except fer them stuffed animals in the bedroom. Pick'in gig in my are are next to none unless you like that crap that's being played today.
Congratulations my old Fender friend.

Carl West

Blake Hawkins

Florida
Post  Posted 16 May 2003 10:18 am    

Had the pleasure of being at a jam with Roy
this past Wednesday.
He has not lost his touch and plays some
fine music on that Sierra.
I really enjoyed his distinctive style and technique.
I always liked his work with Pee Wee King.
Roy is as good as ever and a very nice guy to boot.

David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 16 May 2003 10:27 am    

Congrats, Roy. I recently got D-I-V-O-R-C-E-D and decided that going back to school, getting a career, getting married and having four kids was just a midlife crisis. Now I'm over it and after almost 25 years I'm back playing pedal steel, sax, and keyboards again, at least on the side. Of course I'm spending my retirement savings now on instruments, so I might never be able to retire. But at the rate I buying them, pretty soon I'll be able to start my own music store.

------------------
Student of the Steel, Fessy S12U, Emmons S12 E9 P/P, Nashville 400, Fender Squire, Peavey Transtube Supreme into JBL 15", 1968 Gibson J50, '60s Kay arch-top, 7-string Raybro, customized Korean Regal square-neck, roundneck Dobro 90C, 1938 Conn Chu Berry tenor sax, '50s Berg mouthpiece, Hamilton upright piano, Casio keyboard. You make it, I'll play it (sort of)

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 16 May 2003 11:19 am    

Chas, you're priceless

where were you when I needed that advice 35 years ago!

BOTH you guys are priceless. Don, I was gonna pat Ol' Chas on the back, and you beat me to it. I'm getting ready to go work a 12-hour shift, as I will do all this weekend. So
where's time for gigs, or more importantly, to go out and HEAR some good music?
I got into a rather heated set-to with John Lacey about living frugally, playing for a living, and the merits of being kept up by one's government. I know things are different in Canada, but I suspect that Mr. Lacey has probably had a LOT more fun, in his life, than I have in mine---Especially since I quit the road nearly 20 years ago.
Course, if I hadn't quit, I'd be dead by now, but that's for a diferent post.
Congrats to all you full-timers out there, whether you're playing with some "Big Star," or playing for parking lot re-pavings and Moose lodges 7 nights a week. As long as you don't neglect your family, stay the course! Be happy in WHATEVER you do, and don't forget the One who made it all possible!

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 16 May 2003 3:05 pm    

Roy
There was an article in the local newspaper
here in Pa, This fellow was retired from the Police Department due to a disablity "yeah right". He then saw a way to make some easy cash (he thought) so he went and opened a landscape business,he put someone's name as his employer,not letting on that he himself was
the main principal. He then worked on the books (fake) and then had this other individual lay him off.

Then he collected un-employment checks in addition to his disablity funds and in addition he was a part time (Im sorry)a musician and played weekends.

Now he had three sources of Income. One night
according to the news report,a person who works at the unemployment office see's this guy and walks up to him and says...hey are you collecting unemployment checks?? he said who me???. Not I,I'm a musician.

The woman shrugs her shoulders and walks away like..well maybe I made a mistake.

Meanwhile back at the ranch..this same womans
neighbor calls a landscaper and gets an estimate for a big project. The womans friend
see's this big strapping guy lifting rocks and boulders and both of the woman said..Hey
thats the guy who collects the checks..the
other said,,YES he also plays music at such and such.

They nailed him and he goes before the court
and will more than likely have to pay back all the money he stole. TOO BAD...He thought
he saw the way to make money quick.

No he didnt play guitar,,he played an Acordeen and it was just as though he thought
he could Sqeeeeeeze OUT some extra loot from
the taxpayers like myself.

Do E Bay and sell those Fender things and enjoy yourself. Thats what I meant when I posted above..YOU TOO CAN BECOME A MILLIONAIRE..now he will pay back and spend some time in the "slammer".

Im happy he didnt play steel guitar,,or is it
"stole guitar" God Forbid he played a guitar and a Fender no less OH NO..

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 16 May 2003 at 04:10 PM.]

Roy Ayres

Post  Posted 17 May 2003 4:38 am    

Thanks to all of you for the congrat’s (but I still haven’t been notified by PayPal of any money transfers.)

Chas: I LOVE that philosophical tid-bit. I’ve already used it a couple of times at work.

David: I plan to buy Gene’s CD wholesale, re-label it with my name, and re-sell it. I’ll call it “Just For Me too” (or, maybe “Just For Me II”)

Gene: What I want to and when I want to – that's the good part.

Ron: Thanks for the suggestion. I have a few good stories about Vearl’s escapades; I’ll try to write them up later.

Jody: I don’t need the unemployment check. I can live for years off of the sale of my suits and ties.

Carl: I agree. I’ll go back to giggin’ when they get back to the melody.

CrowBear: I suspect that my gigs will be either at the Fla. SG Club or sitting in with the local yokels around here for free.

Jim: I do a little “computer stuff” too. I have done custom programming for local governments for about 15 years. I may pick up a few projects in that area from time to time.

Bill: I didn’t know you were a photographer. Could you take a picture of Jody and “computer enhance” it to make him handsome?

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 17 May 2003 5:15 am    

So Roy in retirement will you pick slide in FORTRAN or COBOL
From this weeks reviews of the last jam you certainly get rated C++
an Object oriented steeler.
The object; good music!

/* Hello.R */
#include Stringmaster.R ;
main() {
printf ("Ayers delivery pending");
return +1;
}

[This message was edited by David L. Donald on 17 May 2003 at 06:29 AM.]

Carl West

Post  Posted 17 May 2003 6:10 am    

Roy,
Getting back to the melody ain't never gonna happen. We got a long long wait.

Carl West

Carl West

Post  Posted 17 May 2003 7:05 am    

Yo, Roy,
Play'in a Sierra huh? Bet you'd fall in love with my Fender 2000 with 9 and 4. but, then again, maybe not. Those cables are a pain !

Carl West

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 May 2003 7:49 am    

Roy, just an "Amen" here to bump your thread to the top....I wana hear you play! Please forward a copy of your CD to: (you know who)

Gene
www.genejones.com

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 17 May 2003 7:35 pm    

Jody: I don’t need the unemployment check. I can live for years off of the sale of my suits and ties unquote.,,,,,,Yeah I know those narrow
skinny ties and polyester suits with the flare bottoms and wide lapels.

You couldnt get arrested with those clothes.
Besides the ties aren't skinny.,.its that you
are too large for the ties

On second thought,,,maybe you can get arrested,go to Hollywood and Vine and check out the action. With that getup you can score
big time. tell em Joe sent ya.

Roy Ayres

Post  Posted 19 May 2003 10:28 am    

Jody:

I may not dress in the latest fashions, but there is one thing that distinguishes me from some people I know: With a new wardrobe I would be normal!