The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tom Killen w/ George Jones
Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2002 6:26 am    

I had the pleasure of spending the last two Saturday nights with my old friend Tom Killen. We used to hang together in the old days when I played with Moe Bandy and he and George would do shows together. Our paths have crossed several times since then, and we always comment about how fast time goes by. (And how gray we are getting!!). Tom has always been a great player, and every time I hear him he always has some cool new licks. He has been spending some time with a certain revered steel guitar master and he is incorporating a lot of that approach into his show with George. We sat down together and he commenced to try to show me more neat stuff than my little brain could absorb. If you ever get the chance, this is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet, who loves to play and "talk steel".

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2002 4:43 pm    

Tommy:

Boy you can tell we were out and about around the same time 'cause I too became friends with Tom when I was with Gene. Talk about getting gray... it's 25 years later. At least we're all still breathing air.

My wife and I went to see him with George about a year and a half ago and it was great. And after the show we hung out on the bus listening to some recordings of that certain master you mention... it was some BEAUTIFUL and awesome stuff that Lloyd (whooops) played on that tape.

Tom is certainly a great guy and player. A very genuine person. Like you, I'm glad to call him my friend. And BTW, I'm glad to call you my friend also.

Tiny Olson

Al Miller

Waxahachie Texas
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2002 5:09 pm    

Tom Killen!!
Say No More he is the tops in my book. i had the pleasure of seeing him here in salisbury Md about 4 months ago and we stood around out Back of the colusium for a few Hours Talking steel and He mentioned the Legend More than a few times what a guy and what a picker. I will be sure to Make the show the next time as well. oh yea George was good too!!
BOO

Jeff Evans

Cowtown and The Bill Cox Outfit
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2002 5:14 pm    

My little Tom Killen story is not as cool as those of you celeb players, but here it is.

I called the Emmons folks a few weeks ago to order a push-pull manual. I could hear someone playing in the background and wondered if a guitar was being tested. The lady allowed as how it was Tom Killen--The Jones Boys were in North Carolina.

The Lloyd connection is interesting. One of the things Tom nailed was the "Borrowed Angel" intro.

Have y'all heard the live Jones album from about 1985? Tom is especially nice on that four song slow medley including "Walk Through This World With Me."

Tom Hodgin

greensboro, n.c. u.s.a.
Post  Posted 27 May 2014 8:21 am     meeting killen

A few years ago I was at Emmons and met Tom there...he introduced himself and we set there for about 2hrs..while he was testing some changes on his steel...going over some Lloyd stuff and talking fishing....he invited me to visit him in Franklin and do some smallmouth fishing, he said I would have to share his boat with him and Lloyd Green...not til then did I even know who Tom Killen was...I had tickets to see the show in Greensboro that night..man you talk about being overwhelmed and stupid at the same time...I had been trying to copy some of his licks on George,s songs for years, and here he was right in front of me..just him and me..I never said a word about "show me this or that"...he was such a nice guy, I just couldn't bother him with it...I will never forget that day...or Tom Killen.'.

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 27 May 2014 9:15 pm    

I met Tom during my short Burritos tenure in '81, when we did a handful of gigs with George Jones.
A nicer guy you couldn't find, and I don't think I've ever heard a more perfect sound come out of a Sho-Bud, before or since.

Billy Knowles

Kenansville, N. C. 28349 usa
Post  Posted 28 May 2014 6:00 pm     Tom

Tom, I think I remember meeting you when you were playing a Marlen, at Leonard's shop if I remember correctly.

STEEL GUITAR EAST

Emmons authorized dealer and approved service technician

my web site: http://www.steelguitareast.com

Fred Glave

McHenry, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2014 9:46 am    

I saw Tom Killen at Legends on the Corner in Nashville a couple of years ago. I didn't know who he was at first until I spoke with him. He's a great guy who was happy to talk steel and show me his Sho-Bud and explain his copedent. He made me feel like an old friend. He was playing with Galen Griffin and the whole band sounded outstanding.

W. J. Copeland

Palestine, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2017 6:48 pm     Tom Killen's 1994 Emmons D10

In 2006, I posted on the forum, wanted Emmons D-10. About a week later, I get this call from this gentleman, stating he had an Emmons like I wanted. He said I can't talk long, I'm getting ready to be called for sound check. I asked where he was and the answer was British Columbia, Canada. I asked his name, and followed that up with "who do you play for"? He said he lived in Franklin, Kentucky, but would not be home until right before Thanksgiving. I told him that would work out fine, because our kids had moved to Huntsville, Alabama, and we were going there during that holiday. On the day after, Thanksgiving, my wife and I drove to Franklin Kentucky where I met Tom at his home. I spent, what seemed like the whole afternoon, visiting with him and talking about how long he had been with the Possum. Tom was touring with George and had this Emmons Legrand built in 1994 or 95, right before the Emmons Legrand II came out. This guitar had all of the new updates of the Legrand II, just not the name. This is probably the best sounding all pull Emmons I have ever heard. But, Tom had gone back to playing Shobud Pro II because it was as close as he could get to Lloyd's sound. Since then, I have had the privilege of attending two George Jones Concerts when Tom was playing steal. Everyone is correct. Tom is one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. And, he will show you and talk steel as long as time will allow. Thanks Tom for your friendship, and yes, I still have the Emmons Legrand. Best regards.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2017 5:43 am    

Not all that long ago, I was at Legends in Nville, Tom K was playing with Vince Marino. The Sho Bud tone was just over the top, an old Professional. I asked him about , he said he bought it pretty cheap and wanted to give it to Lloyd, If I recall correctly Lloyd was very grateful but asked Tom to keep it and play it otherwise nobody would ever see or hear it.

If Tom K is reading maybe he can advise or correct me.

Regardless, it was friggin' awesome tone and the playing, well, the same. It was the one time I met and talked with Tom K.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2017 9:53 am    

Well speaking of Tom playing a Shobud. As most all those years he played with George Jones; he played a Emmons...then years ago(can't remember...maybe 15 years or so) Tom called me and wondered about me restoring a old shobud for him he found and I said yes; but Tom: "you will never want to play your Emmons again after you play this sho-bud" and he said: that is the sound he has always heard in his head and Lloyd Green is his major influence and that's what he wants. So here is the Sho~bud I restored for Tom then and he has not played anything but Sho-bud since..ha...like I told him...ha. and I so agree with what Tommy D. said as Tom is one of the most passionate steel players/musicians and one of the most nicest most giving person I ever met.
Here ya go>

Ricky

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2017 10:47 am    

So cool Ricky D! And so great to see this 15 year-old thread revived! Shocked

I recently saw Tom on some FB videos and he sounds wonderful on that Bud!

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2017 12:05 pm    

That's about as nice a ProII as there is…
When I saw Tom with GJ - which was shortly after he got the gig - he was playing an LDG.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2017 2:09 pm    

Yeah Skip I think I remember Tom saying he did start out on a ShoBud; then went to Emmons and wanted that sound in his head to come back...and he has it now....ah..ha.
Thanks Tommy and yeah old thread; but never old news..ha.
Ricky

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2017 7:17 am    

I have Tom's old flight case with "George Jones Show" stenciled on the sides. Always a conversation starter.

Tiny Olson

Post  Posted 24 Jan 2017 7:33 am    

We did a ton of shows with George in the 70s and 80s. First time I met Tom after he came-on with George in the early 80s he was playing a Franklin. A few years later he got the Emmons. Seems to me he may have played an LDG on a gig somewhere in the mix.

It is cool to see an old thread like this revived. And the Pro II Ricky did for Tom is very cool.

Even though I've been an Emmons guy primarily, I still absolutely love the sound of that vintage Sho-Bud too. I had a Pro II (round front, pre "Custom") just like that back in the early mid 70s and I wish I still had it !!! I love my old Emmons Originals,,, but I wish I had a Pro II like that in the arsenal also.

As for Tom Killen, he is one of the most sincere and nicest guys I encountered out on the road. An awesome player too. I hope he's doing well..!!

Hope you're well too Tommy D. You're a "dang good horse" in my book as well man !!!

Chris "Tiny" O.

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2017 8:58 am    

Miss you Tiny O!

Roy Peterman

Muncy Valley, Pennsylvania
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2017 11:35 am    

Tiny Olson and Tommy Detamore; I miss hearing you two great pickers. And yes, Tommy Killen was one heck of a great guy and picker too! I always remember him playing an Emmons when we worked shows with George. I still have a Nashville 400 I bought from him in the early 80's. It is still going strong although I use my Nashville 112's mostly. I hope to someday see you both again, and listen to you (and Tom Killen Too!) From an old "Road War Horse".........

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2017 1:42 pm    

Seems like it was a LeGrande Tom played back then right?

Miss you too Roy P! You is a killah yourself! George Edwards told me you had the best touch of anyone. And I agreed Wink

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2017 7:44 pm    

Tom is definitely a great player! I remember seeing him on the Opry in 2001 on TV and he played an Emmons. He was also featured on The George Jones Show on TNN where George and several artists would perform. On that show, he played steel behind George, Glen Campbell, Kenny Chesney, and one of my favorite artists, Danni Leigh. On the Opry show on TV, he played steel on "Who's Gonna Fill Their Shoes", and during the key change in the song, the camera got a great closeup shot of the front of Tom's Emmons. Tom is definitely a great steel player!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2017 3:52 pm    

just got off the phone with my old buddy Gary Morse, and this is what I found out, Tom is playing at Legends Corner on lower Broadway in Nashville, with Mike Siler Band, every Wednesday from 2-6 , so stop by and see him, I sure will try to...

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2017 4:45 pm    

Roy Peterman, Good to see you! J.R.

Roy Peterman

Muncy Valley, Pennsylvania
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2017 4:45 am    

Thanks J R! Hope you are doing well. Yes Tommy Detamore, Tom Killen always played a LeGrande when we did the Moe&Joe shows with George Jones. One show we did, Tom wanted me to try out his Peavey 500 which he just got. I think it was over in the Carolinas somewhere. Do you remember that show? Great times!(By the way, I actually liked my LTD better! Just personal preference you know!)

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2017 2:01 pm    

Dang Roy I don't recall any Carolina dates. But I'm sure you are right...

I do remember a date in Alabama in an arena. George came on and there was constant feedback in his monitor and he was perturbed. A young lady was the monitor tech and she was sweating bullets trying to get rid of the feedback and please The Possum. When she finally got it under control George told her over the mike: "Now go get a box of popcorn and don't touch any more knobs".

Something like that Wink

Tiny Olson

Post  Posted 26 Jan 2017 3:38 pm    

Hey Roy... Miss you too man. It was always great to see you and hear you play back in the day whenever we did shows together. I remember that you had an LTD. I had one too and besides sounding good the road and airlines couldn't kill that thing!! I remember when Tom Killen got the Session 500 too. By 1980, Derrell Stephens had delivered three Evans FET 500s to me so I was using them pretty much all the time. Never played through his PV 500.

You're right... It would be awesome to get together with you, Tommy D. and Tom K. !!!!

Hope you're well Roy.

Chris "Tiny" O.