The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Buddy Fite ?
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2001 9:12 pm    

Back in the 70s I bought every record I could find of the great jazz guitarist Buddy Fite. He also played the steel, a Sierra, and I am sure he was great, but I never got to hear him play steel. Several years ago, I inquired about him at the St. Louis steel show and was told that he was in poor health. Does anybody know about him. Any information would be appreciated.

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2001 10:51 pm    

Can't recall just when, but there was an earlier post on Buddy Fite. The last I heard about Buddy, at that time, is that he was indeed in poor health. I personally have no knowledge beyond that. When he was a kid, he used to play great steel guitar and was masterful at tone and technique. His later Jazz guitar work show what I mean. Anyone else with the health status of Buddy Fite?

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2001 1:19 am    

i saw postings in a standard guitar oriented newsgroup that buddy fite had passed away--i am guessing it was close to a year ago? i have never heard him play, but i know vance terry had some fite lps and was very fond of them. that's good enough for me.

Adrian Wulff

Portland, OR, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2001 3:09 pm    

My buddy Layne Davidsen went up to Buddy's trailer in Amboy,WA a couple time to jam with him. Layne's a beginner but Buddy was very helpful and welcoming. I guess Buddy was quite the recluse and did have that many visitors.

Ray Montee

Post  Posted 26 Nov 2001 7:20 pm    

Adrian: Any chance you could have your good friend verify for certain about Buddy Fite's fate? I'd like to know as Buddy and I grew up together and got our first start profes-sionally at the same time here in Portland. He used to call and talk to me for hours, having me play all of my latest Jerry Byrd records for him. It wasn't until years later that I discovered he had been calling long distance from his aunts home. Those phone bill must have been horendous. I'd like to know about Buddy....to close the book if that is the answer. Thanx

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2001 7:57 pm    

Guys I should have done more research before I asked the question. I found the answer in www.melbay.com/news/fite.html
The world lost another great guitarist.
I am saddened to learn of his death at age 63.

Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2001 3:05 am    

I met Buddy Fite in LA, around 1967. I think he was demonstrating for Acoustic Control amps. A friend got us together.

He and I jammed for a while, guitar-to-guitar. He played with fnger picks and a thumb pick. I didn't know he played steel too; then again, in those days I didn't hardly know what a steel was.

As I recall, he was a big guy; sort of a "waterfall" haircut. Played a hollow body jazzer, like me. Very nice, and complimentary of my guitar playing though he could play rings around me.

I'll never forget what he said when poeple asked him why he didn't move down to LA from the Northwest. "Up there I can hunt, and fish, and go crazy."

Does this sound like Buddy to those of you who knew him?

Thanks for the good memories of a unique player and person.

------------------
from the oasis ....

Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2001 3:08 am    

Just read the Mel Bay news clip. It was indeed Sunn amps, not Acoustic Control that he was demo-ing for. My former band played Sunn; that's how Buddy and I met.

Ray Montee

Post  Posted 29 Nov 2001 12:37 pm    

Would it be worth considering....to ask b0b to establish a "Remembrance" page where all steel pickers that have gone on ahead of us, could be listed, including dob/dod, and a brief musical/personal history? How do you Forumites feel about this?