The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rio Grande
Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2001 7:24 am    

For some reason this popped into my head today... has anyone any knowledge of a group called Rio Grande?

Personnel:
KEN MURRAY drms
TOM RUSSELL gtr, vcls
DAVE STANLEY bs, gtr, vcls
BOBBY TUTTLE pedal steel, vcls
RONNIE WEISS gtr, bottleneck gtr, vcls, jew's harp

ALBUM: RIO GRANDE (RCA LSP-4454) 1971

Weiss, Stanley and Murray where from 1960s Texas rockers Mouse and The Traps (sort of like 1966 Bob Dylan & The Hawks on speed); when the Traps split in late in 1969, they apparently went on to form Rio Grande. Their only album was produced by the Dale Hawkins, who was also from Tyler and had already produced the two last Mouse singles, not too mention Mouse & the Traps backing Hawkins on his 1969 solo album (with James Burton adding some guitar).
All the songs were penned by Weiss and Stanley, two being co-written by Bugs Henderson (blistering Texan guitar slinger). The group was assisted by Voelker (later in Gladstone), Randy Fouts (from Michael Rabon and Choctaw) and Don Miller.
It's basically a country rock record, I've yet to find a copy.
Apparently Tuttle and Russell would later record with Gladstone and it's the same Tom Russell who has recorded a series of really fine folkish and country albums.

The Bobby Tuttle may well be the same one who grew up in Texas, moved to SoCal and played with Danny Micheals and others in the 1960s. I noticed there's a Bobby Tuttle from Texas who is on the forum, any thoughts on this.. and does anyone have the LP?

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2001 1:34 pm    

Hmmm... isn't "Rio Grande Band" the name of the group that Doug Jernigan played with back in the 70s that also included Ben Brogden on bass and Craig Chambers on vocals?

Jason Odd

Post  Posted 17 Nov 2001 7:15 am    

Jim, I think it's kind of a generic name really, especially as this group I'm on about pretty much folded by 1972; at least they'd gone back to the Mouse & The Traps name.

Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2001 1:03 pm    

Jason: Bobby Tuttle, currently in Texas is the same steel player who worked with Danny Michaels, prior to Jerry Stevens and later Bobby Boydd. Tuttle is a super player. I haven't heard him in over 30 years, but I'm sure he has improved, if that is possible. Mr. Tuttle is on the forum and could give you a lot of information that you are looking for. Hope this helps.

Bob Tuttle

Republic, MO 65738
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2001 1:31 pm    

Jason, The Rio Grande group was formed just to record the album. We rehearsed the material for a couple of months before recording, but we never actually played any gigs together under that name. I have one copy of the LP. Ronnie Weiss went on to play guitar with Joe Stampley shortly after that. I don't know where he is now.
After I moved back to Texas from SoCal I did a short tour with Ray Price, worked with Claude Gray for a while, with Tony Douglas two different times, and played 5 years at Gilley's in Pasadena, TX. I've been hiding out here in San Angelo for the past 20 years, playing weekends. I played the Dallas convention the past two years and will be there again in March.

Jason Odd

Post  Posted 17 Nov 2001 4:11 pm    

Bob, there's some info on the guys at http://www.cyserv.com/lsbk/projects.html
There's some interesting pages linked to it as well.

It's great to see you posting Bob, I thought I'd seen your name on a post or two and wondered if you one and the same.
I saw the Rio Grande LP a while back at a sale, but it was in atrocious condition (vinyl and sleeve), so I passed on it.
Bobby, what did you think of the project musically?

Joel Glassman

Waltham MA USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2001 11:15 am    

Jim Cohen--
The Rio Grande Band was the folks you mentioned plus Hoot Hester on fiddle and a few others. They made a nice record for Rounder-not re-released on CD. This group was basically the same group as the Broadway production
of Best Little Whorehouse. (A musical I've played a few times-and a few times was enough! :^) --Joel

Bob Tuttle

Republic, MO 65738
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2001 6:55 pm    

Jason,
I thought the music came out nice. It was different from the straight ahead country, and western swing that I had been used to playing. But it was a refreshing change of pace. I enjoyed doing it.
Bob

Jason Odd

Post  Posted 20 Nov 2001 6:59 pm    

thanks Bob, I'll definately keep looking for a copy of that one.