The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Incredible Tommy White
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2001 3:23 pm    

I have to say that Tommy really blew me away on the Opry last night on Carolyn Dawn Johnson's first tune. What incredible backup! That's what modern country pedal steel should always sound like, in my opinion. It don't get any better than that.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (E7, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (F Diatonic)
Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6)

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2001 3:40 pm    

You gotta be kidding bOb! No, I'm kidding,Where have you been bOb? this guy has been killing everyone since he was 16! And I'm talking about his IQ! He's very close to graduating from Jeffran Steel Collage! (He' gonna kill me for that one!).
I don't think enough great things can be said about this guys playing. Comes in to see me very often to keep me very humble, and everyone else too! But , boy is he ugly!----------------------------Oh Oh!
Prob Gonna Getitnow esq.

Jeff Lampert

queens, new york city
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2001 3:42 pm    

[This message was edited by Jeff Lampert on 07 October 2001 at 04:46 PM.]

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2001 7:19 pm    

AMEN.to both b0b's and Bobbe's post.But was he really that close to graduating from Jeffran college? Bobbe,your spelling is starting to come around. -------bb

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2001 8:56 pm    

I also hold Tommy White in the highest esteem.

At the same time, I agree with Jeff ....

Roger Rettig

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2001 9:05 pm    

Let's wait until he turns green

------------------
Steelin' Greetings
Marco Schouten
Sho-Bud Pro III Custom

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2001 10:10 pm    

Well, I have the Tommy & Lloyd video, which is really advanced stuff, but I'd never really heard him in the context of "modern" country music before. It's a real art to to get the right amount of "pop" into songs, and Tommy sure does get it right. Very melodic, not show-offy at all. I guess all that hanging around with Lloyd Green is really rubbing off on him.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (E7, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (F Diatonic)
Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6)

Moon in Alaska

Kasilof, Alaska * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2001 10:43 pm    

I thought Tommy was GREAT -- as usual !!! My only regret, they didn't put the camera on him enough !!

------------------
<< Moon Mullin in Alaska >>
==Carter S-10==
<< Old Fender-400 >>
== Evans FET 500 Custom LV ==

CLICK HERE FOR MOON'S NEW WEB SITE

Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2001 12:54 am    

I heard Buddy Emmons in an interview a few years back and he said Tommy was his favorite steel player. He not only plays everything the way it should be but gets that incredible tone too. He makes the best use of the Franklin change I've heard yet and does it on one pedal and one knee lever!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2001 2:38 am    

I've been impressed with Tommy's picking since hearing him with The Whites. He scored a coup when he got the Opry gig.

But, I never really paid attention to what he could really do until I heard/saw the tape he did with Lloyd Green.

Mike Weirauch

Harrisburg, Illinois**The Hub of the Universe
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2001 4:43 am    

As I said once before, if Buddy Emmons is the god of steel guitar then Tommy White is the mesiah! Bobby Lee, jump in the "family truckster" and drive on down to Nashville and you can hear Tommy & Lloyd tomorrow night at the Bell Cove Jam.

Bob Hempker

Goodlettsville, TN.
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2001 5:14 am    

I have to agree with what the rest of you have said. Tommy's playing is beyond describing, and he is one fine person to add to it. He always treats the guys with the road bands so hospitably when we do the opry, and is helpful in every way. I think he has done such an excellent job of fusing the older traditional styles with the more modern styles of playing. Anything he plays is so appealing to listen to. Again, guys I agree with you on this one.

------------------

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2001 5:27 am    

Can someone tell me how often the Bell Cove event takes place?
I keep seeing references to it, but haven't been able to figure out the schedule; it seems as though I only read about it as it's just about to occur or, worse, the day afterwards!
I'd drive from Asheville anytime to see Tommy play! Then I could drop into Group Captain Seymore's place and get some more of those disintegrating .011s......

Mike Weirauch

Post  Posted 8 Oct 2001 8:35 am    

Roger, they have it 4 times a year with the first being in January, 2nd in April, 3rd in July and the last in October and they are always on the second Tuesday of the month and start at 7 PM. This year, the July jam was moved back to June so it would coincide with Fanfare week. There is usually a post in Events & Announcements about each jam 2 weeks before they happen.

Steel tryin

Macon, Ga.
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2001 12:28 pm    

I believe it was 4 years ago in St. Louis.
It was Tommy,Paul,Hal and Jeff Newman in
that 3 hr jam session in a side hall. I was
planning to buy my first guitar. Everything
seemed incredible at the time. I had no idea who any of the performers were. But, I
remember as I sat there and listened it seemed as if Tommy was the only one on the stage. I'll never be the same.

[This message was edited by Steel tryin on 08 October 2001 at 01:29 PM.]

Tony Rankin

Land O’ Lakes, FL
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2001 2:01 pm    

I've liked Tommy White's playing for a long time. However, about a year or so ago, I heard him backing Ray Pillow on the Opry on a song in which the chorus lyrics were "baby that's cold, that really hurts..." What Tommy played on that tune absolutely floored me. It was as good it gets! I realized then what an exceptionally great player he is. Tommy is certainly one of my favorites.

Dennis Manuel

Quesnel, B.C., Canada
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2001 5:17 pm    

Yes, Tommy is one of the greats for sure.

Unfortunately, when the Opry switched they seemed to have forgot about the Opry fans who live north of the U.S., Canada border. With the Grand Ole Opry not being transmitted into Canada we are missing out on some fantastic talent.

Does anyone know if in the future the Opry signal will be transmitted into Canada?

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2001 6:13 am    

Bobby,
Thank you so much for your compliments that started such a nice thread. I really do appreciate that.
Frank,
Thank you also. I must tell you, your mention of the "Franklin change" brings to mind that, although Paul is the one who brought this to popularity through recording, I have had this change in one form or another for 20 years. As you mentioned, I have always separated the lowering of the 5th and 6th strings for obvious reasons. Anyway, again, thank you.
My best,
Tommy

[This message was edited by Tommy White on 10 October 2001 at 07:15 AM.]

Marc Muller

Neptune,NJ USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2001 5:12 pm    

What is the "Franklin change" exactly?

Mike Weirauch

Post  Posted 10 Oct 2001 6:05 pm    

Quote:
What is the "Franklin change" exactly?

Four 20's, a 10 and two 5's!!!!!

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2001 7:06 pm    

I'm bored so I almost answered Marc's question.Then I remembered the name and who he works for.So I realized he was just trying to have a little fun.What a lucky guy to have such a great looking boss. ----bb

BTW for you newbies the change Marc is talking about is what many refer to as the Franklin 4th pedal.This pedal lowers 5,6,and 10 a whole tone on E9th.

The other change that Paul made famous is F# to G# along with the D# to E.These changes being on the same knee pedal.Just so I don't get flamed Paul was not the first to use these changes but he did make them famous.As a matter of fact he (may ) have been the first to use the 5,6,and 10 whole tone lower on one pedal.For sure he was the first to get paid really good for it. -----bb

[This message was edited by Bobby Boggs on 10 October 2001 at 08:11 PM.]

Danny Stinnett

Phoenix, AZ, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2001 9:00 pm    

Just gotta add a me too here. I really like the rolls that Tommy does. His fast playing is just incredible. I saw he and Paul Franklin at a June Jam, and they just went at it. Far as I was concerned, they just stole the show...oops sorry about that!!

Danny

Neil Flanz

Austin, Texas (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2001 7:10 pm    

I have to agree with what everybody is saying about Tommy White in this thread. His playing is always tasteful, imaginative and full of surprises with flawless execution. It was a pleasure getting to see him and speak to him for the first time in a while in St. Louis at the convention this year and he is one heck of a nice person. I really look forward to hearing him on the second Opry show online every Saturday night.

Herby Wallace

Sevierville, TN, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2001 7:10 pm    

I need to add my two cents worth in this discussion too. Tommy White has been and still is one of my very favorite players for many years. I first met Tommy in Louisville, KY when he was around 9 years old and just learning to play. About 3 years later I heard him jamming at the Sho-Bud store in Nashville and I could tell even at that early age that he had it. I worked with Donna Fargo in the mid seventies and Tommy came to work with her about a year after I quit and he was still very young at that time, but playing better everytime I heard him. I could go on and on, but I'll wrap it up with one more comment. One of the things that Tommy has in his playing that really impresses me in addition to everything that has already been mentioned above is the fire in his playing, which is a quality that has always knocked me out and very few players have this.

Herby Wallace

------------------

Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2001 8:56 pm    

Hi Gang

I've been out of touch for a while. What are the tape(s) from Tommy that have been mentioned? Instructional? If so, where can they be had?

thx

Bob